Tear gas, police dog lead to arrests in 7-Eleven homicide

Nagendiram Kandasamy was shot and killed on Feb. 21. Detectives have found two persons of interest.

ENUMCLAW — Police have identified two “persons of interest” in the February shooting of a 7-Eleven clerk in Edmonds.

A 23-year-old Enumclaw man and a 24-year-old Auburn woman were taken into custody Sunday morning after an hours-long standoff at a house on the eastern border of the Muckleshoot Reservation.

Both were arrested on warrants from the Department of Corrections. The man reportedly has 10 felony convictions, the woman one.

Police obtained a warrant to search the house on Sunday and plan to soon search a vehicle that was impounded.

“We do feel like we have taken a huge step in ensuring the safety of the public,” Edmonds police Sgt. Josh McClure said at a media briefing following the arrests.

Police believe the man and woman are connected in some way to the shooting of Nagendiram Kandasamy in the morning of Feb. 21.

Dramatic store security video shows a man run into the 7-Eleven at 8101 238th Street SW, jump on the counter and take aim — likely at Kandasamy, who is off-screen. The shooting itself was not included in video released to the public, but police said the encounter lasted less than 20 seconds. A customer found Kandasamy on the floor around 5 a.m., unresponsive and bleeding. The Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office later determined he died from a gunshot wound. He was 64.

Agencies from across Snohomish and King counties, as well as the Washington State Patrol, searched the area but couldn’t find a suspect.

Initially, there was little information about who the man in the video was, or what his motive could be. He wore a red-and-black jacket and obscured his face. Police first reported that he was white, but later said they couldn’t be sure. There was a vehicle seen near the 7-Eleven in security video taken around the time of the shooting, but the footage was of such poor quality that police couldn’t identify the make and model with certainty.

Nothing was stolen, McClure said.

In the weeks after the shooting, detectives used what evidence they had, including more than 100 tips from the public, and traced the man and woman to a home in the 40100 block of 180th Avenue Southeast, near Enumclaw. Edmonds police did not release what information led them there.

Taking into account their criminal history, and reports that they might be armed, the North Sound Metro SWAT team was called to the scene around 11 p.m. Saturday night. A white Nissan at the house matched the vehicle seen in the security footage.

The man and woman barricaded themselves inside the house for hours, McClure said. They didn’t respond to police announcements or emerge when police used tear gas.

Around 4 a.m., the SWAT team made their way into the house with a police dog, and arrested the man and woman in the garage without incident.

“They didn’t listen to the SWAT team, and they didn’t listen to the gas, but they did listen to the police dog that was barking at the door,” McClure said. “And it was that point they decided they were just going to give up.”

As the investigation continues, Edmonds police are still asking the public for help. Now that arrests have been made, McClure said he hoped people are more willing to come forward with information. Tips, which can be anonymous, may be directed to the department at 425-771-0212, through email at policetips@edmondswa.gov or online at www.edmondswa.gov/police/anonymous-tip.html.

Zachariah Bryan: 425-339-3431; zbryan@heraldnet.com. Twitter: @zachariahtb.

Talk to us

More in Local News

First state prisoner tests positive for COVID-19, in Monroe

The man is the first person in Washington to contract the disease while in a state prison.

Watch Gov. Jay Inslee’s Monday news conference here

He is to be joined by the state superintendent to give an update on the coronavirus response.

Are Snohomish County hospitals ready for the COVID-19 peak?

As they prepare for a wave of patients, local workers share fears and hopes for their safety.

Lynnwood settles with man who was jailed over stolen coffee

The city paid $20,000 to the legally deaf man, who claimed he was wrongfully imprisoned and beaten.

Stave off stay-at-home boredom and go for a drive

With the roads so empty and few entertainment options outside the house, it’s time for a joyride.

Boeing extends temporary shutdown of Puget Sound plants

The company had planned to reopen on Wednesday. About 60 Everett employees have tested positive.

A message from The Daily Herald’s publisher

The importance of an independent press in challenging times.

1.2 million students won’t return to classrooms anytime soon

The governor has extended a statewide closure through June 19 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Ailing Everett couple gambles on trial drug for COVID-19 cure

Now they wonder if the experiment they had joined is the reason they survived the deadly disease.

Most Read