Author of taunting letters found but cleared of 1987 killings

EVERETT — For 23 years detectives have wondered if the person who sent rambling, taunting letters to the families of a slain Canadian couple was the killer or just a kook.

Last week, shortly after releasing new details about the letters, detectives got their answer.

Tips from the public, and old-fashioned street-pounding police work led homicide detectives to a mentally ill Canadian man who admitted he was the author of the hurtful correspondence.

In the letters, the man claimed that he killed Jay Cook and Tanya Van Cuylenborg. He bragged he’d never be caught and threatened to kill again if he got the opportunity.

Detectives don’t believe the letter writer, now in his 70s, is responsible for the 1987 slayings.

“He’s not a suspect. He denies involvement, and nothing links him to the crime scenes,” Snohomish County sheriff’s Detective Jim Scharf said. “Now we can focus our attention on who actually did kill the young couple.”

Cook, 20, and Van Cuylenborg, 19, had traveled from British Columbia to Seattle to run an errand for Cook’s father.

Van Cuylenborg’s body was discovered Nov. 24, 1987, south of Alger in Skagit County. She had been sexually assaulted and shot. Cook’s body was found two days later under High Bridge off Crescent Lake Road in Monroe. He’d been strangled and asphyxiated.

The killer abandoned Cook’s van in a downtown Bellingham parking lot. Some additional evidence was found under the back porch of a bar near the city’s bus station.

Investigators believe the killer came prepared with a kit, likely containing a gun, zip ties, gloves and other tools, Skagit County sheriff’s Detective Tobin Meyer said. Police believe the suspect picked the couple at random, likely crossing paths with them in downtown Seattle.

A week after the killings the letters began showing up.

The man who admits writing to the families provided police a genetic sample, which they will have compared against the DNA recovered from the letters. Tests recently showed that the DNA profile from the letters doesn’t match other forensic evidence collected at the scene where Van Cuylenborg’s body was discovered.

That information led police to believe the letter writer likely wasn’t the killer. They were ready to share the details of the letters with the media to solicit tips from the public in hopes of tracking down the letter writer.

Pieces of the puzzle quickly began to fall into place.

First, a person in Canada saw a story about the letters on “Washington’s Most Wanted,” a weekly television show on KCPQ-TV that features cold cases. The man recognized the handwriting from the letters and contacted police. An anonymous caller then left the name of the man with Snohomish police, who passed the information along to the sheriff’s office.

The man’s name is common. Police needed more to pick up the trail. They searched the database of names that Skagit County detectives built for the case. They located the man’s name, along with a date of birth in the case files.

Scharf said the man’s name was added to the case file during the initial investigation into the letters. In one of the letters, the author mentioned writing to true-crime author Ann Rule, of Renton. Early in the investigation, detectives contacted Rule, who gave them a possible source of the letters, a man who’d written her, Scharf said. In the letters to Rule, he’d signed his name.

“Oftentimes in these cold cases the name is the file,” Scharf said.

Police used all the information to determine that the letter writer was a transient who roamed between Canada and Washington state. Canadian authorities tracked his last known address to a homeless shelter in east Vancouver, B.C. He hadn’t been there in eight months. Detectives followed more tips and tracked him to another location in Washington, where he’d been seen two weeks earlier.

Then they learned he’d been at another place the day before.

They set up surveillance. Investigators walked up to the man Aug. 20 at a location in Western Washington. Police declined to say where.

The man, who has lived on the streets for decades, was apologetic, Scharf said. He told detectives he once called Cook’s father with the intention of apologizing but didn’t reach the grieving man. He lost the nerve to try again, Scharf said.

“He said it was horrible, a stupid thing to do,” Scharf said.

The man, who police declined to name, told investigators that he’d read about the murders in the days after the victims’ bodies were discovered. He was at a low point in his life and wanted to lash out, Scharf said.

Born and raised in Canada, he was angry about how he’d been treated by his fellow Canadians. He already was an avid letter-writer. He mailed letters and cards to the families for a year.

The statute of limitation is up and the man isn’t expected to face any harassment charges connected to the letters, Scharf said.

The man on Tuesday traveled to the sheriff’s office to speak with Scharf. The detective wasn’t in the office. The man left a letter, Scharf said.

News that investigators caught up with the letter writer was bittersweet for the victims’ families, Meyer said.

“This a big chunk of the mystery, but it didn’t resolve the case because we still don’t know who the killer is,” Meyer said.

Detectives received an anonymous tip from someone who read about the letters in The Herald earlier this month. The tipster gave a name of someone he or she suspects is responsible for the killings. Police are hoping the person will call them back so they can ask additional questions.

“This person’s information might be good. We don’t know,” Scharf said.

He said it’s difficult to track down anonymous tips. Information is more beneficial if detectives can ask questions of the tipster.

“We often need to ask a lot more questions,” Scharf said. “We can’t get that information if we can’t contact people.”

Diana Hefley: 425-339-3463; hefley@heraldnet.com.

Help detectives

Anyone with information about the 1987 slayings of Tanya Van Cuylenborg and Jay Cook is asked to call the Snohomish County sheriff’s tipline at 425-388-3845. Tipsters are encouraged to leave a return phone number for detectives.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Gage Wolfe, left, a senior at Arlington High School and Logan Gardner, right, a senior at Marysville Pilchuck High School work with their team to construct wooden framed walls, copper plumbing, electrical circuits and a brick facade on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
High schoolers construct, compete and get career-ready

In Marysville, career technical education students showed off all they’d learned at the SkillsUSA Teamworks Competition.

The Edmonds City Council on Tuesday, Jan. 6 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds issues moratorium on development in Deer Creek aquifer

The ordinance passed unanimously Tuesday, giving the city time to complete a study on PFAS in the area.

Taylor Scott Richmond / The Herald
Getchell High School students protest ICE during their walkout demonstration on Wednesday in Marysville.
Marysville students peacefully protest ICE

Around 150 Getchell High School students walked out of school to line 67th Avenue Northeast as cars drove by on Wednesday morning.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County voters continue to approve most school levies, bonds

The Monroe School District operations levy, which was failing after initial results, was passing Thursday with 50.4% of the vote.

People fish from the pier, hold hands on the beach and steer a swamped canoe in the water as the sun sets on another day at Kayak Point on Monday, June 12, 2023, in Stanwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Kayak Point Park construction to resume

Improvements began in 2023, with phase one completed in 2024. Phase two will begin on Feb. 17.

Everett
Everett to pilot new districtwide neighborhood meetings

Neighborhoods will still hold regular meetings, but regular visits from the mayor, city council members and police chief will take place at larger districtwide events.

A truck drives west along Casino Road past a new speed camera set up near Horizon Elementary on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Crashes, speeding down near Everett traffic cameras

Data shared by the city showed that crashes have declined near its red light cameras and speeds have decreased near its speeding cameras.

Community Transit is considering buying the Goodwill Outlet on Casino Road, shown here on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Community Transit to pay $25.4M for Everett Goodwill property

The south Everett Goodwill outlet will remain open for three more years per a proposed lease agreement.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Parent support collaborative worries money will run out

If funding runs out, Homeward House won’t be able to support parents facing drug use disorders and poverty.

Carlos Cerrato, owner of Taqueria El Coyote, outside of his food truck on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lynnwood. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett proposes law to help close unpermitted food carts

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to operate food stands without a permit, in an attempt to curb the spread of the stands officials say can be dangerous.

Megan Wolfe, the executive director of the Snohomish County’s Girls on the Run, at her office on Thursday, Feb. 12, 2026 in Mountlake Terrace, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
SnoCo nonprofit teaches running and life skills simultaneously

Girls on the Run hopes to teach students confidence and people skills while getting them to be active.

Arlington
Man convicted of manslaughter after stabbing death of his friend on a camping trip

The third trial for Alexander Vanags, of Arlington, came to a close Thursday after five weeks in Whatcom County Superior Court.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.