New Yemen airstrike targets wanted al-Qaida figure

SAN’A, Yemen — Yemeni airstrikes today targeted one of the country’s most wanted al-Qaida figures for the second time in a week, security officials said.

The target was Ayed al-Shabwani, who officials accuse of providing sanctuary for top al-Qaida figures in the country. Yemeni forces bombed a farm in a remote area east of the capital San’a — where a number of al-Qaida leaders are believed to be living. It was not immediately clear whether anyone was hurt.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not allowed to talk to the media.

Al-Qaida in Yemen has become a pressing concern for U.S. security after the Nigerian Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, who tried to blow up a Detroit-bound jetliner on Christmas, told FBI investigators the group provided him with explosives and training.

In the wake of the failed plot, Yemen intensified an offensive against al-Qaida with the help of U.S. counterterrorism aid and training.

Yemen, an impoverished country with a weak government whose authority does not extend far outside the capital, is Osama bin Laden’s ancestral homeland. The offshoot Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula was formed a year ago when Yemen and Saudi militant groups merged.

Hundreds of militants are believed to be roaming lawless regions of the mountainous nation, sometimes under the protection of powerful local tribes that have their own grievances with the government.

Al-Shabwani hails from the al-Shabwani tribe and is believed to have his tribe’s protection. He is on the government’s list of most-wanted al-Qaida figures and has been implicated in several fatal attacks on security troops and police officers.

The airstrike hit Wadi Adeeda, 115 miles east of San’a in Mareb province, officials said, adding that al-Shabwani is in charge of sheltering operatives in that area.

Yemen’s government had reported that al-Shabwani was killed along with al-Qaida’s military chief Qassim al-Raimi and four other operatives of the group in an airstrike Friday on another province northeast of the capital.

Al-Qaida released a statement shortly afterward denying any of its men were killed in Friday raid. But it said some “brothers” — militant jargon for al-Qaida members — were wounded.

However, the casualties could not be independently verified because reporters are not allowed to travel to the lawless areas.

Friday’s bombing struck near the village of Yatama, about 118 miles (190 kilometers) northeast of San’a, in the province of Jouf.

Jouf and Mareb provinces are both al-Qaida strongholds.

Al-Raimi was described as one of Yemen’s most-wanted militants accused of plotting to assassinate the U.S. ambassador. Yemeni officials have said he escaped a government attack on him last month.

According to a new Senate report, U.S. law enforcement authorities believe as many as three dozen Americans who converted to Islam in prison have traveled to Yemen, possibly to train with al-Qaida.

A copy of the report, obtained by The Associated Press, said several of the individuals have “dropped off the radar” for weeks at a time and continue to carry U.S. passports. The assessment was written by staff working for Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman John Kerry, a Democrat.

Anwar al-Awlaki, a radical American-Yemeni Islamic cleric suspected of ties to al-Qaida is believed to be hiding in the remote Yemen mountains under his tribe’s protection.

U.S. and Yemeni officials say al-Awlaki, who once preached in mosques in California and northern Virginia and posted fiery English-language Internet sermons urging Muslims to fight in jihad, is now an active participant in al-Qaida’s offshoot in Yemen.

Al-Awlaki has been connected with the alleged perpetrators of two recent attacks on American soil: the Nov. 5 shooting rampage at the Fort Hood army base in Texas and the attempt to bomb the U.S. plane on Christmas.

His family and many members of his powerful Awalik tribe deny the 38-year-old is a member of al-Qaida, depicting him as a victim of Yemeni and U.S. persecution.

At the United Nations in New York on Wednesday, the U.N. Security Council committee that handles sanctions against Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, announced that the organization and two of its leaders — identified as Nasir al-Wahishi and Said al-Shihri — will be subject to binding international sanctions including freezes on assets and an international travel ban.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

People fish from the pier, hold hands on the beach and steer a swamped canoe in the water as the sun sets on another day at Kayak Point on Monday, June 12, 2023, in Stanwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Kayak Point Park construction to resume

Improvements began in 2023, with phase one completed in 2024. Phase two will begin on Feb. 17.

Everett
Everett to pilot new districtwide neighborhood meetings

Neighborhoods will still hold regular meetings, but regular visits from the mayor, city council members and police chief will take place at larger districtwide events.

A truck drives west along Casino Road past a new speed camera set up near Horizon Elementary on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Crashes, speeding down near Everett traffic cameras

Data shared by the city showed that crashes have declined near its red light cameras and speeds have decreased near its speeding cameras.

Community Transit is considering buying the Goodwill Outlet on Casino Road, shown here on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Community Transit to pay $25.4M for Everett Goodwill property

The south Everett Goodwill outlet will remain open for three more years per a proposed lease agreement.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Parent support collaborative worries money will run out

If funding runs out, Homeward House won’t be able to support parents facing drug use disorders and poverty.

Carlos Cerrato, owner of Taqueria El Coyote, outside of his food truck on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lynnwood. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett proposes law to help close unpermitted food carts

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to operate food stands without a permit, in an attempt to curb the spread of the stands officials say can be dangerous.

An Everett Transit bus drives away from Mall Station on Monday, Dec. 22, 2025, in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett Transit releases draft of long-range plan

The document outlines a potential 25% increase in bus service through 2045 if voters approve future 0.3% sales tax increase.

Lake Stevens robotics team 8931R (Arsenic) Colwyn Roberts, Riley Walrod, Corbin Kingston and Chris Rapues with their current robot and awards on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lake Stevens, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Lake Stevens robotics team receives world recognition

Team Arsenic took second place at the recent ROBO-BASH in Bellingham, earning fifth place in the world.

Leslie Wall in the Everett Animal Shelter on Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Everett Animal Shelter gets $75k in grants, donations

The funds will help pay for fostering and behavioral interventions for nearly 200 dogs, among other needs.

Everett
One man was injured in Friday morning stabbing

Just before 1 a.m., Everett police responded to a report of a stabbing in the 2600 block of Wetmore Avenue.

x
Paraeducator at 2 Edmonds schools arrested on suspicion of child sex abuse

On Monday, Edmonds police arrested the 46-year-old after a student’s parents found inappropriate messages on their daughter’s phone.

Everett Councilmember Ben Zarlingo cuts the ribbon at the Everett Transit Mall Station grand re-opening on Friday, Feb. 13, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett celebrates recent opening of Mall Station

The station officially opened for riders in December.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.