Skagit River bridge on I-5 to reopen Wednesday

MOUNT VERNON — The Skagit River bridge on I-5 is slated to reopen Wednesday with slower speeds for vehicles and a ban on trucks hauling excessively large cargo like the one which caused it to crumble into the water.

A temporary four-lane span will open without fanfare just shy of a month after a semi-truck carrying an oversized load struck several of the bridge’s overhead trusses, causing a 160-foot section to fall into the river.

Two vehicles went into the water but the three people traveling in them survived the harrowing May 23 incident.

Gov. Jay Inslee visited the site Tuesday as workers paved and prepared to stripe the roadway, a major artery for commuters and commerce that carries an average of 71,000 vehicles a day.

There will be some new rules when the bridge reopens.

The maximum speed will be 40 miles per hour, down from the 60 mph limit in effect before the collapse. That’s because each of the four temporary lanes will be 11 feet wide, which is about a foot narrower than those on the section that fell into the water.

Nearly all cars, commercial vehicles and big rigs carrying legal loads allowed on the bridge before will be able to use it again, transportation officials said.

There will be a barrier between north and south traffic, but it will be made of steel trusses instead of the concrete that separates traffic on the rest of the bridge.

What won’t be allowed are trucks that require a special permit to travel on state highways because they exceed legal rules for height, width, weight or length, said Travis Phelps, a Washington Department of Transportation spokesman.

“If you’re getting a permit to drive on the highway, you won’t be going over this bridge. You’ll be using the detour routes,” he said.

Time-lapse video by WSDOT.

All traffic has been detoured since May 23 when the truck struck the 58-year-old span.

The Washington State Patrol and National Transportation Safety Board are conducting investigations in the cause of the collapse.

Atkinson Construction of Renton received a $10 million contract to demolish the damaged portion, remove debris from the water and put in the temporary four-lane segment that Acrow Bridge of New Jersey built.

On Tuesday, the state awarded a $6.9 million contract to Max J. Kuney Co. of Spokane to construct the permanent replacement span.

Under the contract, work must be done by Oct. 1. It will require closing the bridge for up to two weeks in September to put the span in place, but the closure cannot occur until after Labor Day, according to contract documents.

When the bridge is restored to its pre-collapse capacity this fall, it will still be rated as “functionally obsolete” because it was not designed to handle today’s traffic volume and big trucks. It’s also considered “fracture critical,” meaning that if a single, vital component is compromised, the bridge can crumple again.

Federal funds will cover 100 percent of the costs of the temporary fix and 90 percent of the permanent replacement.

Thus far the federal Department of Transportation has committed $16.6 million for the two projects from its Emergency Relief Fund. The federal agency provided $1 million in the days following the collapse and then last week pledged another $15.6 million.

With the announcement of the scheduled bridge reopening, Amtrak plans to cancel the extra round-trip train it added between Seattle and Bellingham following the span’s May 23 collapse.

Two round-trip Amtrak Cascades trains per day still run between Seattle and Vancouver, B.C. Amtrak also operates five round-trip Thruway Motorcoach buses between the two destinations.

Reporter Bill Sheets contributed to this story.

Jerry Cornfield: 360-352-8623; jcornfield@heraldnet.com

Talk to us

More in Local News

Police responded to a shooting Wednesday afternoon at the Family Tree Apartments. (Everett Police Department)
Police: 2 shot at Everett apartment building; shooter at large

One wounded person was taken to the hospital. Another was treated at the scene. Few other details were immediately available.

Everett police respond to a fatal shooting on Casino Road on Wednesday morning. (Everett Police Department)
Man killed in shooting at Casino Road apartment

Detectives believe the Wednesday morning shooting was targeted, a police spokesperson said.

Everett
Everett council OKs budget, considers tax increase next year

The Everett City Council didn’t change anything in the mayor’s proposed $543 million budget for next year.

Everett police respond to a non-fatal shooting Wednesday afternoon on Casino Road. (Everett Police Department)
4 shootings in Everett leave 1 dead, 4 wounded; no arrests

Everett police tapped a new regional task force to increase patrols and “bring those responsible to justice.”

A person was found dead Tuesday night after a truck fire in south Everett. (Everett Police Department)
Person found dead in burnt semi truck in Everett

Police were investigating the origin of the Tuesday evening fire in the 1200 block of 108th Street SW.

Lynnwood
Suspects in national organized retail theft group arrested in Lynnwood

Police say two adults and a teen have run a sophisticated scam across the country.

Everett
Mayor vetoes Everett council’s bargaining policy for projects over $5M

The Everett City Council voted 4-3 to require project labor agreements. A fifth vote could override the veto.

Three State Troopers get together while helping civilians get their cars out of the parking garage during a lockdown at the Snohomish County Superior Courthouse Monday, Dec. 12, 2022, in downtown Everett, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Police: Armed suspect tried to confront Everett judges over custody fight

The man reportedly brought six guns to the Snohomish County Courthouse, leading to a three-hour standoff. A judge set bail at $1 million.

Clyde Shavers, left, and Greg Gilday.
Recount confirms Clyde Shavers win in 10th Legislative District

Shavers, a Democrat, defeated Republican Rep. Greg Gilday by 216 votes following a machine recount

Most Read