Qualifying for the boys and girls state basketball tournaments is complete, and the matchups for the regional round Friday and Saturday are set.
The current format advances 12 teams in each classification to either the Tacoma Dome (4A and 3A), Yakima Valley SunDome (2A and 1A) or Spokane Arena (2B and 1B) for the Hardwood Classic, which runs Feb. 27 through March 2.
For each classification, the 16 teams that qualified for the regionals through their respective district tournaments have been seeded 1-16 based on the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association’s final Ratings Percentage Index (RPI).
The rankings were finalized after all the district tournaments were completed Monday.
The 16-team regional round is split into two groups: seeds 1-8 and seeds 9-16.
Seeds 1-8 square off in non-elimination regional games, with both teams advancing to the following week’s Hardwood Classic. The reward for winning a regional contest is a bye into the state quarterfinals.
Seeds 9-16 play loser-out regional games, with the winners advancing to the following week’s Hardwood Classic.
The losers of the 1-8 games and winners of the 9-16 games meet in single-elimination contests Feb. 27 in the first round of the Hardwood Classic. Those first-round winners advance to the quarterfinals.
From there, the tournaments carry on through Saturday, March 2, with an eight-team, modified double-elimination format — one loss eliminates a team from title contention and two losses eliminate a team from the tournament.
State regional matchups involving local teams are listed below, with seeds in parentheses.
(3) Federal Way vs. (6) Jackson, 4 p.m. Saturday at Puyallup H.S. (both advance)
(10) Glacier Peak vs. (15) Issaquah, 8 p.m. Friday at Everett CC (loser out)
(9) Kentridge vs. (16) Mariner, 6 p.m. Saturday at Auburn Mountainview H.S. (loser out)
(4) Central Valley vs. (5) Glacier Peak, 2 p.m. Saturday at University H.S. in Spokane Valley (both advance)
(4) Marysville Pilchuck vs. (5) Kelso, noon Saturday at Everett CC (both advance)
(12) Wilson vs. (13) Arlington, 6 p.m. Friday at Mount Tahoma H.S. in Tacoma (loser out)
(11) O’Dea vs. (14) Stanwood, 6 p.m. Saturday at Garfield H.S. in Seattle (loser out)
(9) Capital vs. (16) Shorecrest, 6 p.m. Saturday at Tumwater H.S. (loser out)
(1) Prairie vs. (8) Arlington, noon Saturday at Battle Ground H.S. (both advance)
(11) Snohomish vs. (14) Lake Washington, 6 p.m. Saturday at Jackson H.S. (loser out)
(10) Gig Harbor vs. (15) Edmonds-Woodway, 2 p.m. Saturday at Mount Tahoma H.S. in Tacoma (loser out)
(9) West Seattle vs. (16) Meadowdale, 6 p.m. Friday at Garfield H.S. in Seattle (loser out)
(4) White River vs. (5) Archbishop Murphy, 2 p.m. Saturday at Puyallup H.S. (both advance)
(10) King’s vs. (15) Naches Valley, 6 p.m. Saturday at Everett CC (loser out)
(1) La Salle vs. (8) King’s, 6 p.m. Friday at Ellensburg H.S. (both advance)
(4) Tulalip Heritage vs. (5) Muckleshoot Tribal, 2 p.m. Saturday at Jackson H.S. (both advance)
(9) Grace Academy vs. (16) Riverside Christian, 4 p.m. Saturday at Jackson H.S. (loser out)