Seahawks defensive end Shaneil Jenkins hits a blocking sled during training camp on July 30, 2017, in Renton. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Seahawks defensive end Shaneil Jenkins hits a blocking sled during training camp on July 30, 2017, in Renton. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Seahawks camp opens with news of top rookie’s ATV accident

RENTON — Malik McDowell feels fortunate to be alive.

The “praying” Seattle Seahawks will feel fortunate whenever they see their top rookie draft choice again.

McDowell was involved in what the team termed a “vehicular accident” about two weeks ago in his home state of Michigan. For now, the uniquely athletic defensive lineman remains there and his status to play this season is unknown, following what The News Tribune confirmed was an ATV accident.

“Unfortunately Malik McDowell was involved in a vehicular accident in which he suffered an injury during the NFL break period,” a Seahawks spokesman read in a statement following Sunday’s first practice of training camp. “As a precautionary measure Malik has remained back in Michigan under care of physicians there. Our medical people have been in constant communication with his physicians and have been monitoring the situation. At this point it is important for Malik to stay home and rest. We consider this a long-term relationship and will do whatever is in the best interest in Malik. We look forward to Malik’s return to Seattle and will update you with any changes.”

That sounded ominous.

So did coach Pete Carroll’s answer when asked if there was a possibility the defensive tackle from Michigan State would not be able to play in 2017.

“We’ll see,” Carroll said. “We’ll see. I don’t know that.”

“It’s challenging,” the coach said, adding McDowell was home and no longer hospitalized. “He had extraordinarily high hopes to be here, be with us, and he’s not able to.”

NFL Network reported McDowell sustained “a concussion and facial injuries” in the accident.

McDowell went on Twitter from Michigan to downplay the serious and uncertain tone in Seattle.

“I appreciate all the concern regarding my health,” read McDowell’s statement typed into a phone and captured online in a photograph. “I just want to clear the air. I am doing well and expect to rejoin my teammates in Seattle in the next few days. My injury is not life or career threatening as some have speculated. I am grateful for the support I have received from the seahawks organization, my doctors and my family. You will see me back on the field in the near future.”

A source with knowledge of McDowell’s situation back in Michigan confirmed to The News Tribune he was involved in an ATV accident. NFL Network first reported that on Sunday.

The report came moments after a Seahawks spokesman read the statement that McDowell’s family approved — and while quarterback Russell Wilson was saying he and his teammates “were praying” for McDowell.

The Seahawks couldn’t say more about McDowell’s accident or his injuries because his family did not authorize the team to do so. Because the accident happened away from football, during the players’ six-week break that ended with Saturday’s training-camp reporting deadline, the team for now has less latitude in detailing his incident.

“Everything’s above board and cleared, what we are doing,” Carroll said. “It’s just going to take a little while. And just because it’s the first time there’s a statement that’s come out, we’re just honoring the family and how to handle this properly.”

The Seahawks placed McDowell on the reserve/did-not-report list. They signed defensive tackle Rodney Coe to take McDowell’s place on the 90-man preseason roster.

The 304-pound Coe was an undrafted rookie free agent last year with Dallas. He is out of the University of Akron.

The Seahawks used McDowell in Pro Bowl defensive end Michael Bennett’s role during offseason workouts: a hybrid, speed tackle in passing situations to create mismatches against opposing centers and guards. And at 6 feet 6 and 299 pounds with slithery quickness, Seattle’s first pick in this spring’s draft at the top of the second round had been likely to get many mismatches in his favor in that specialized role..

Whether he still will this season was unclear Sunday, though McDowell’s message was positive.

“We’ll wait and see,” Carroll said. “It’s been a little while since the accident happened. But we are still waiting to figure all that out.”

Sunday’s news gave added meaning to what McDowell tweeted with a praying-hands emoji on July 17, now apparently after his accident: “Just wanna thank the lord that I’m still here”

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Sports

Edmonds-Woodway senior Janie Hanson (1 in white) tries to position herself in front of Stanwood sophomore Addy Schuh in the Warriors' 55-47 win against the Spartans in the District 1 3A semifinals at Snohomish High School on Feb. 18, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Edmonds-Woodway girls mount comeback vs. Stanwood in district semis

The Warriors clinch first state berth since 2019 in 55-47 win against defending champs on Wednesday.

Shorewood senior Nathan Abraha blocks Edmonds-Woodway senior Dre Simonsen's attempt under the rim during the Stormrays' 42-40 win against the Warriors in the District 1 3A semifinals at Edmonds-Woodway High School on Feb. 17, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Shorewood boys upset top-seeded Edmonds-Woodway in district semis

The Stormrays earn second straight state berth with 42-40 win on Tuesday.

Snohomish junior Grady Rohrich lunges towards the rim to put up a layup during the Panthers' 57-54 win against Monroe in the District 1 3A semifinals at Edmonds-Woodway High School on Feb. 17, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Snohomish boys squeak past Monroe in district semis

The Panthers punch first ticket to state tournament since 2012 with 57-54 win on Tuesday.

Everett boys stay alive in districts

Tulalip Heritage boys book another trip to state on Tuesday.

Seahawks begin sale process

Less than two weeks after winning the Super Bowl, Seattle’s NFL franchise is for sale.

Seattle Seahawks’ Kenneth Walker III and Super Bowl MVP high fives fans lined up along 4th Avenue during the Seahawks World Champions Parade on Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2026 in Seattle, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Ranking the Seahawks’ unrestricted free agents

Riq Woolen and Ken Walker highlight a loaded class of extension candidates.

Archbishop Murphy senior Brooke Blachly utilizes a screen from junior Ashley Fletcher (10) to drive into the lane during the Wildcats' 76-18 win against the Seahawks in the District 1 2A quarterfinals at Archbishop Murphy High School on Feb. 12, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Archbishop Murphy’s Brooke Blachly reaches 2,000 points

The Wildcats senior eclipses mark in district girls basketball semifinal win Saturday.

Lakewood boys stay alive with district win

The Cougars fend off Storm Monday to reach tournament consolation final.

Meadowdale’s Mia Brockmeyer drives to the hoop during the game against Shorewood on Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Meadowdale advances to district semis

Archbishop Murphy and King’s clinch State berths at districts on Saturday.

Snohomish’s Grady Rohrich yells after beating Meadowdale on Monday, Jan. 5, 2026 in Snohomish, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Snohomish boys come back, advance to district semis

Down 13 points entering the fourth quarter, the Panthers clawed back against Everett.

Shorecrest, Lake Stevens win districts

Prep boys swimming roundup for Saturday, Feb. 14: (Note for coaches/scorekeepers: To… Continue reading

Seahawks quarterback Sam Darnold (left), Super Bowl MVP Kenneth Walker III (center) and head coach Mike Macdonald celebrate with the Lombardi Trophy after defeating the New England Patriots 29-13 at Super Bowl LX at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California on Sunday. (Photo courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks)
Seahawks hire 49ers assistant at offensive coordinator

The reigning champs hire 49ers tight-ends coach Brian Fleury as QB coach Andrew Janocko leaves for Las Vegas.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.