Fighters weren’t sent up until after Pentagon hit, general says

Hearst Newspapers

WASHINGTON — Air Force Gen. Richard Myers told a Senate committee Thursday that U.S. fighter jets were scrambled shortly after a hijacked airliner slammed into the Pentagon Tuesday and approached another commandeered plane over Pennsylvania moments before it crashed into a field.

But Myers, President Bush’s nominee to head the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the fighter jets "did not shoot down any aircraft" on a chaotic morning when four passenger aircraft were hijacked and used as guided missiles.

Members of the Senate Armed Services Committee sought answers about the attacks on the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon during a confirmation hearing for Myers, who was nominated in August to become the nation’s highest-ranking military officer. The term of the current Joint Chiefs chairman, Army Gen. Henry "Hugh" Shelton, expires at the end of this month.

Committee Chairman Carl Levin, D-Mich., and Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., specifically wanted to know when the Pentagon was notified of the attacks, what response the military took and when it did so.

"If we knew that there was a general terrorist threat, which we did, and we suddenly have two trade towers in New York being obviously hit by terrorist activity on commercial airliners taken off course from Boston to Los Angeles, then what happened to the response of the defense establishment?" Nelson said. "We would like an answer."

Myers said that when the twin towers in New York were hit, the U.S. military had "much fewer" aircraft on alert than during the height of the Cold War. Also, the Air Force has few bases around the perimeter of the country, he said.

"It’s not just a question of launching an aircraft, it’s launching to do what?" Myers said.

The White House has said that Air Force fighter escorts met Air Force One over the Florida Panhandle. President Bush had been visiting a school in Florida when the attacks occurred and was flown first to an Air Force Base in Louisiana, then to Nebraska for safety.

Myers reassured senators that the U.S. military is ready to respond and has the capabilities to be successful. But he said Congress needs to appropriate additional money to enhance intelligence, command and control, and force protection.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Gage Wolfe, left, a senior at Arlington High School and Logan Gardner, right, a senior at Marysville Pilchuck High School work with their team to construct wooden framed walls, copper plumbing, electrical circuits and a brick facade on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
High schoolers construct, compete and get career-ready

In Marysville, career technical education students showed off all they’d learned at the SkillsUSA Teamworks Competition.

The Edmonds City Council on Tuesday, Jan. 6 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds issues moratorium on development in Deer Creek aquifer

The ordinance passed unanimously Tuesday, giving the city time to complete a study on PFAS in the area.

Taylor Scott Richmond / The Herald
Getchell High School students protest ICE during their walkout demonstration on Wednesday in Marysville.
Marysville students peacefully protest ICE

Around 150 Getchell High School students walked out of school to line 67th Avenue Northeast as cars drove by on Wednesday morning.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County voters continue to approve most school levies, bonds

The Monroe School District operations levy, which was failing after initial results, was passing Thursday with 50.4% of the vote.

People fish from the pier, hold hands on the beach and steer a swamped canoe in the water as the sun sets on another day at Kayak Point on Monday, June 12, 2023, in Stanwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Kayak Point Park construction to resume

Improvements began in 2023, with phase one completed in 2024. Phase two will begin on Feb. 17.

Everett
Everett to pilot new districtwide neighborhood meetings

Neighborhoods will still hold regular meetings, but regular visits from the mayor, city council members and police chief will take place at larger districtwide events.

A truck drives west along Casino Road past a new speed camera set up near Horizon Elementary on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Crashes, speeding down near Everett traffic cameras

Data shared by the city showed that crashes have declined near its red light cameras and speeds have decreased near its speeding cameras.

Community Transit is considering buying the Goodwill Outlet on Casino Road, shown here on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Community Transit to pay $25.4M for Everett Goodwill property

The south Everett Goodwill outlet will remain open for three more years per a proposed lease agreement.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Parent support collaborative worries money will run out

If funding runs out, Homeward House won’t be able to support parents facing drug use disorders and poverty.

Carlos Cerrato, owner of Taqueria El Coyote, outside of his food truck on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lynnwood. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett proposes law to help close unpermitted food carts

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to operate food stands without a permit, in an attempt to curb the spread of the stands officials say can be dangerous.

Megan Wolfe, the executive director of the Snohomish County’s Girls on the Run, at her office on Thursday, Feb. 12, 2026 in Mountlake Terrace, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
SnoCo nonprofit teaches running and life skills simultaneously

Girls on the Run hopes to teach students confidence and people skills while getting them to be active.

Arlington
Man convicted of manslaughter after stabbing death of his friend on a camping trip

The third trial for Alexander Vanags, of Arlington, came to a close Thursday after five weeks in Whatcom County Superior Court.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.