Spokesman Kyle Moore said it was on a secondary line after the primary fire hose had been started.
The hydrant shot water into the air until a city utility crew turned it off.
The fire damaged the interior and roof of a two-story house in the Lake City neighborhood. No one was at home at the time.
The fire department reports the fire was started by an electrical problem in the wall. Damage is estimated at $75,000.
KIRO-TV reported that water from the broken hydrant flooded a nearby home and the parking lot of an apartment building.
More Northwest Headlines
Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant 3:37 p.m. Lawsuit over lease for Shell Arctic drilling fleet rejected 4:37 p.m. Court denies Medina millionaire’s release from Montana jail Judge tosses lawsuit seeking Kurt Cobain death-scene photos 6:02 p.m. Medical examiner: Motorist hit by train killed herself 5:19 p.m. Salmonella outbreak that may be tied to pork grows 4:38 p.m. Man arrested for slaying in Clarkston 3:03 p.m. Ecology to reassess water quality rule 3:02 p.m.
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.