Democrats back Liias, Ortiz-Self for legislative seats
Liias emerged as Democrats' first and pretty much only choice to replace Sen. Paull Shin in the 21st Legislative District in balloting by precinct committee officers Saturday. Names of two other Democrats appeared on the ballot but both individuals indicated they back Liias and would not accept the post.
In the same meeting, Democrats nominated three people to succeed Liias. Ortiz-Self finished ahead of Darrell Chapman and Susan Phillips in that round of voting.
The Snohomish County Council will make the appointments Tuesday following public interviews of each nominee. The interviews begin at 1 p.m. Four of the five council members are Democrats so it is likely they will abide by the party's wishes.
Those who are appointed will serve through the November election. Liias and Ortiz-Self each intend to run for a full term in this fall's election.
Most recent The Petri Dish posts
- Two Republicans emerge to challenge DelBene Feb. 27
- Inslee, Dorn drafting fix to retain federal school waiver Feb. 25
- Democrats offer tax plan to boost school funding Feb. 25
- Inslee, Secretary Duncan to discuss federal waiver for schools Feb. 20
- Inslee will form task force to boost outdoor recreation industry Feb. 18
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.