Gov. John Kitzhaber said Friday in White City the funding helps maintain a healthy timber industry needed to protect forests.
The Rough & Ready Lumber Co. mill in O’Brien was cutting large pine logs when it closed for lack of logs last year, putting 88 people out of work.
Owner Link Phillippi says the upgraded mill will be more automated, employing 67 people, and processing about the same amount of timber.
Bettina von Hagen of Ecotrust says they have put together similar funding to keep other mills operating in Oregon.
MORE HBJ HEADLINES
- Before you cry inequity from parents, look at the numbers
- Briefs: Beardslee Public House opens in Bothell
- Boeing says KC-46 tanker’s first flight further delayed
- What entrepreneurs can learn from the Wright Brothers
- Katsu Burger brings Asian-fusion burgers to Lynnwood
- QVC owner Liberty buying Seattle’s Zulily in about $2.3 billion deal
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.