Comcast loses 125,000 TV subscribers; pivots to broadband

The firm says it added 250,000 mobile-phone lines after launching Xfinity Mobile.

  • By Bob Fernandez The Philadelphia Inquirer (TNS)
  • Thursday, October 26, 2017 4:50pm
  • Business

The Philadelphia Inquirer

PHILADELPHIA — The nation’s largest cable company lost 125,000 TV subscribers in the third quarter, as streamers, legacy competitors, and historic hurricanes chewed away at its customer base. But Comcast Corp. also maintained 5.1 percent revenue growth in its cable division with new high-speed internet, home security and 250,000 smartphone customers.

Comcast’s chief financial officer, Mike Cavanagh, said Thursday that about 20,000 of the lost cable TV subscribers were attributed to the devastating Florida and Texas hurricanes, leaving the remaining 105,000 lost subscribers to competition.

Overall, quarterly revenues for Comcast, including its NBCUniversal division, fell 1.6 percent to $21 billion, but only because of an unfavorable comparison with the advertising-rich Olympics in the year-ago period. Profits jumped 18.5 percent, to $2.7 billion.

CEO Brian Roberts, in a Thursday morning conference call with concerned Wall Street analysts, said that Comcast “saw this evolution coming,” with people opting to watch entertainment over streaming services, and prepared for it. The internet is increasingly the “epicenter” of the Comcast Cable division’s business, Roberts said.

Roberts and Comcast Cable head Dave Watson emphasized that the company’s internet service had higher profit margins than cable TV because there are no associated programming costs to content companies such as ESPN, Fox Sports, or NBCUniversal.

Watson also said there is room for new internet customers — it added 214,000 new high-speed subscribers — as Comcast makes the “pivot” toward an internet-based future.

Comcast said it added 250,000 mobile-phone lines after launching Xfinity Mobile during the summer. Roberts said the business could be profitable in about a year with continued growth. In addition, the company boosted its Xfinity Home business with 51,000 new customers, bringing the total subscribers in the unit — which offers home-security and smartphone features — to about 1.1 million subscribers.

Charter Communications, the nation’s second-largest cable operator, also reported third-quarter earnings on Thursday and noted that it had lost 104,000 TV customers — more indication of the distress in the pay-TV sector.

This year, Wall Street has been rattled by the unrelenting popularity of skinny bundles and streamers, as well as advertisers’ shift to Facebook and Google, big business trends that can hurt Comcast, which has more than 20 million TV subscribers and owns the NBC TV network.

Even as the stock indexes have marched to new records, Comcast shares trade well below their 52-week high. The stock closed Thursday at $36.27, down 0.56 or 1.52 percent, while Charter Communications shares shed 8.3 percent, down 28.22 to $316.29.

Telecom analyst Craig Moffett said in a report that there wasn’t much news to react to Thursday, as Comcast had disclosed its TV subscriber losses publicly in September, which caused its stock to plunge.

“It is tough to know whether these results are better or worse than feared,” echoed Jonathan Chaplin of New Street Research.

Analysts, meanwhile, seemed surprised by missed performance targets at Charter Communications. “The results were disappointing,” Chaplin said.

Comcast executives observed heightened discounting for pay-TV subscribers by AT&T and Verizon Communications in the third quarter. But they noted that Comcast won’t match deep discounting to chase new customers.

Revenue at NBCUniversal fell 12.7 percent, but again only because of comparison with the Olympics in last year’s third quarter. Adjusting for the Olympics, NBCUniversal revenue rose 6 percent in third quarter 2017.

The Universal movie studio is having one of its most profitable years ever, Comcast reported. NBCUniversal head Steve Burke said that revenue in China could climb from a couple hundred million dollars a year to more than $1 billion when the company opens its theme park in Beijing in five years or so.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Business

Customers walk in and out of Fred Meyer along Evergreen Way on Monday, Oct. 31, 2022 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Kroger said theft a reason for Everett Fred Meyer closure. Numbers say differently.

Statistics from Everett Police Department show shoplifting cut in half from 2023 to 2024.

Funko headquarters in downtown Everett. (Sue Misao / Herald file)
FUNKO taps Netflix executive to lead company

FUNKO’s new CEO comes from Netflix

Inside El Sid, where the cocktail bar will also serve as a coffee house during the day on Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
New upscale bar El Sid opens in APEX complex

Upscale bar is latest venue to open in APEX Everett.

Mattie Hanley, wife of DARPA director Stephen Winchell, smashes a bottle to christen the USX-1 Defiant, first-of-its kind autonomous naval ship, at Everett Ship Repair on Monday, Aug. 11, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
No crew required: Christening held for autonomous ship prototype in Everett

Built in Whidbey Island, the USX-1 Defiant is part of a larger goal to bring unmanned surface vessels to the US Navy.

Cassie Smith, inventory manager, stocks shelves with vinyl figures in 2020 at the Funko store on Wetmore Avenue in Everett. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
Everett-based Funko reports $41M loss in the 2nd quarter

The pop culture collectables company reported the news during an earnings call on Thursday.

A Boeing 737 Max 10 prepares to take off in Seattle on June 18, 2021. MUST CREDIT: Bloomberg photo by Chona Kasinger.
When Boeing expects to start production of 737 MAX 10 plane in Everett

Boeing CEO says latest timeline depends on expected FAA certification of the plane in 2026.

Kongsberg Director of Government Relations Jake Tobin talks to Rep. Rick Larsen about the HUGIN Edge on Thursday, July 31, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Norwegian underwater vehicle company expands to Lynnwood

Kongsberg Discovery will start manufacturing autonomous underwater vehicles in 2026 out of its U.S. headquarters in Lynnwood.

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Snohomish in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Garbage strike over for now in Lynnwood, Edmonds and Snohomish

Union leaders say strike could return if “fair” negotiations do not happen.

Richard Wong, center, the 777-X wing engineering senior manager, cheers as the first hole is drilled in the 777-8 Freighter wing spar on Monday, July 21, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Boeing starts production of first 777X Freighter

The drilling of a hole in Everett starts a new chapter at Boeing.

Isaac Peterson, owner of the Reptile Zoo, outside of his business on Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2025 in Monroe, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
The Reptile Zoo, Monroe’s roadside zoo, slated to close

The Reptile Zoo has been a unique Snohomish County tourist attraction for nearly 30 years.

Downtown Edmonds is a dining destination, boasting fresh seafood, Caribbean-inspired sandwiches, artisan bread and more. (Taylor Goebel / The Herald)
Edmonds commission studying parking fees and business tax proposals

Both ideas are under consideration as possible revenue solutions to address a $13M budget shortfall.

Ben Paul walks through QFC with Nala on Saturday, July 14, 2018 in Everett, Wa. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
QFC to close Mill Creek location, part a plan to close similar stores across the nation

A state layoff and closure notice says 76 employees will lose their jobs as a result of the closure.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.