2 arrested in fatal shooting of teen near Lynnwood

LYNNWOOD — The teen was shot in the back, then kicked repeatedly after he fell to the ground.

That’s what detectives investigating the death of a local high school student were told.

It didn’t take them long to detain two suspects in the Tuesday morning shooting.

Detectives with the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office will need a lot more time to sort through the different versions of events that led up to the fatal encounter.

The suspects, 24 and 19, were booked into the Snohomish County Jail Tuesday night for investigation of first-degree murder.

Friends and family on social media identified the slain teen as Anthony Boro, 16.

Authorities said Wednesday it would be up to the Snohomish County Medical Examiner to confirm the boy’s identity. In court on Wednesday, Snohomish County deputy prosecutor Dana Little told a judge that detectives believe the victim is a 16-year-old high school student. She did not use his name.

The Mukilteo School District on Wednesday reported the shooting death of a Mariner High School sophomore. He had a younger brother who attends a middle school in the district.

A message of “RIP Anthony Boro” was posted on the younger brother’s social media account. It was one of dozens of similar posts among young people in the community.

Boro was well-known and well-liked, said Mark Stewart, head coach of the Mariner football team. He played football his freshman year and showed up for some of the summer workouts this year but didn’t continue on the team this season.

Stewart heard about the death from students on the football team. The loss has had a wide impact at the school, especially on the sophomore class. Many students wore blue to school Wednesday to remember their friend. It was reportedly his favorite color.

“He was part of the Mariner family,” Stewart said. “We need to stick together like we always do. We’ll be there and support each other, and for the students, we’re here to support them.”

Counseling support will be available at school, district spokesman Andy Muntz said. “Our thoughts are with the student’s family and friends during this difficult time, he said.

It was the second shooting involving a Mariner student so far this school year. On Sept. 3, a boy, 17, and his sister, 14, were shot as they were walking near Discovery Elementary School, where they planned to practice dance steps for an upcoming quinceanera, a traditional celebration to mark a girl’s 15th birthday. Prosecutors say those young people, who survived, were just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Anthony Boro reportedly was shot shortly before 1 a.m. Tuesday in a parking lot in the 16700 block of Larch Way near Lynnwood. The sheriff’s office initially reported that they believed he was in his 20s.

The suspects were identified as Jesse Landrum, 19, and Charles Courtney, 24. Both were staying at the apartment complex off Larch Way.

Courtney allegedly admitted shooting the teen in the back and Landrum allegedly admitted kicking him after he had been shot.

“At this time, it does not appear that the suspects knew the victim,” Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Shari Ireton said.

Detectives are continuing to sort through various versions of events that led up to the shooting.

An aluminum baseball bat was found near the teen’s body, according to a police report.

Courtney uses the street name “Magic,” according to a police report. He told detectives the teen “jiggled” his apartment door in what he thought was an attempt to break in and that he peered at the stranger through the peep hole.

Courtney reportedly had a .357-caliber revolver hidden in his pants while he spoke with a detective. He also allegedly was carrying four live rounds in a pants pocket as well as heroin and cash.

Landrum allegedly told detectives that he watched Courtney shoot the teen after he tried to run away. When Boro fell, Landrum said he heard “a clank” and something rolling,” which appeared to be the aluminum bat.

Landrum did not appear in court for a bail hearing Wednesday. His attorney, Pete Mazzone, said his client was dealing with a medical issue in the jail.

Mazzone argued that the probable cause statement failed to prove premeditation on his client’s part.

Little, the deputy prosecutor, told Judge Tam Bui that the victim was alive when Landrum allegedly started kicking him. Bui agreed that there was probable cause to hold the suspect.

Courtney appeared at Wednesday’s hearing. His bail was set at $3 million.

Eric Stevick: 425-339-3446; stevick@heraldnet.com.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Gage Wolfe, left, a senior at Arlington High School and Logan Gardner, right, a senior at Marysville Pilchuck High School work with their team to construct wooden framed walls, copper plumbing, electrical circuits and a brick facade on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
High schoolers construct, compete and get career-ready

In Marysville, career technical education students showed off all they’d learned at the SkillsUSA Teamworks Competition.

The Edmonds City Council on Tuesday, Jan. 6 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds issues moratorium on development in Deer Creek aquifer

The ordinance passed unanimously Tuesday, giving the city time to complete a study on PFAS in the area.

Taylor Scott Richmond / The Herald
Getchell High School students protest ICE during their walkout demonstration on Wednesday in Marysville.
Marysville students peacefully protest ICE

Around 150 Getchell High School students walked out of school to line 67th Avenue Northeast as cars drove by on Wednesday morning.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County voters continue to approve most school levies, bonds

The Monroe School District operations levy, which was failing after initial results, was passing Thursday with 50.4% of the vote.

People fish from the pier, hold hands on the beach and steer a swamped canoe in the water as the sun sets on another day at Kayak Point on Monday, June 12, 2023, in Stanwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Kayak Point Park construction to resume

Improvements began in 2023, with phase one completed in 2024. Phase two will begin on Feb. 17.

Everett
Everett to pilot new districtwide neighborhood meetings

Neighborhoods will still hold regular meetings, but regular visits from the mayor, city council members and police chief will take place at larger districtwide events.

A truck drives west along Casino Road past a new speed camera set up near Horizon Elementary on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Crashes, speeding down near Everett traffic cameras

Data shared by the city showed that crashes have declined near its red light cameras and speeds have decreased near its speeding cameras.

Community Transit is considering buying the Goodwill Outlet on Casino Road, shown here on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Community Transit to pay $25.4M for Everett Goodwill property

The south Everett Goodwill outlet will remain open for three more years per a proposed lease agreement.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Parent support collaborative worries money will run out

If funding runs out, Homeward House won’t be able to support parents facing drug use disorders and poverty.

Carlos Cerrato, owner of Taqueria El Coyote, outside of his food truck on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lynnwood. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett proposes law to help close unpermitted food carts

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to operate food stands without a permit, in an attempt to curb the spread of the stands officials say can be dangerous.

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Mukilteo in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Man dies after being struck by a train in Mukilteo

Police describe the man as a white adult. He has not yet been identified.

One woman injured in vehicle vs. pedestrian collision in Everett

First responders transported a woman in her early 30s to the hospital after she was struck by a vehicle in the 11800 block of State Route 99.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.