Argentina, Vatican shun dead Nazi killer

ROME — Italian and Vatican officials Saturday joined Argentina in distancing themselves from the late Erich Priebke, a former German SS captain who had been convicted for taking part in the biggest single Nazi massacre committed on Italian soil.

Priebke died Friday in Rome, aged 100, where he was serving house arrest for a life sentence he was handed in 1998 over his participation in the 1944 Fosse Ardeatine mass killings, in which German soldiers shot dead 335 civilians.

A spokesman for the Catholic Church in Rome ruled out the possibility of Priebke’s funeral being celebrated on Tuesday in a church in the center of the city, as had been suggested by his lawyer Paolo Giachini.

“No funeral rites are planned,” Father Walter Insero said, as quoted by the ANSA news agency.

On Friday, Giachini had said that Priebke wanted to be buried next to his wife in the Argentine town of Bariloche. He was extradited from there in 1995, after a U.S. TV crew discovered his whereabouts and interviewed him.

But the foreign ministry in Buenos Aires closed that option. “Foreign Minister Hector Timerman has given the order not to accept the slightest move to allow the return of the body of Nazi criminal Erich Priebke to our country,” it wrote on Twitter.

“Argentines will not accept this kind of affront to human dignity,” the message said.

In Rome, Police Chief Fulvio della Rocca said he would ban any “form of solemn and public” funeral. He was backed by Mayor Ignazio Marino, who said that Rome was “an anti-Nazi and anti-Fascist city.”

Marino said any ceremony “for someone who has inflicted so much pain on the people of this city” would have been inappropriate in the run up to the 60th anniversary of the deportation of Jews from Rome’s ghetto, which started on October 16, 1943.

The dead at Fosse Ardeatine, a cave on the outskirts of Rome, included 75 Jews and at least one child. The massacre was thought to have been ordered by Adolf Hitler in response to the killing by Italian Resistance fighters of 33 German soldiers a day earlier.

In 2003, Priebke described it as “a personal tragedy” but did not ask for forgiveness. On other occasions, he repeated that he was simply following orders.

“Why don’t they send him back to Germany? Isn’t it enough all that he has said? I don’t know if the Jewish community will want to do something, but we definitely don’t want him here in Rome,” said 87-year-old Giulia Spizzichino, who lost 26 relatives to the Nazis.

Marino said that Priebke would likely be given a private funeral in his local church, in Aurelio. He also said he was verifying whether he could legally stop the war criminal from being buried in his city.

“The risk is that he could be given a tomb in Rome and that it could become a pilgrimage site. Like it has been for (former Italian Fascist dictator Benito) Mussolini,” Spizzichino said.

Giachini defended Priebke, praising his “courage, coherence and loyalty.” A bunch of flowers was laid outside the late Nazi officer’s Roman home, while “Honor to Priebke” and a swastika were scrawled on a nearby wall.

Priebke remained loyal to Nazi ideology until the end.

In a statement Giachini publicized after his death, Priebke said that “gas chambers were never found in (Nazi) concentration camps, except for the one built by the Americans when the war finished in Dachau.”

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

An excavator moves a large bag at the site of a fuel spill on a farm on Nov. 19, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
BP says both pipes remain closed at site of fuel leak near Snohomish

State Department of Ecology and the oil giant continue to clean site and assess cause of leak on the Olympic Pipeline.

Roger Sharp looks over memorabilia from the USS Belknap in his home in Marysville on Nov. 14, 2025. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
‘A gigantic inferno’: 50 years later, Marysville vet recalls warship collision

The USS Belknap ran into the USS John F. Kennedy on Nov. 22, 1975. The ensuing events were unforgettable.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County man files suit against SIG SAUER over alleged defect in P320

The lawsuit filed Monday alleges the design of one of the handguns from the manufacturer has led to a “slew of unintended discharges” across the country.

The Everett City Council on Oct. 22, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett approves $613 million budget for 2026

No employees will be laid off. The city will pause some pension contributions and spend one-time funds to prevent a $7.9 million deficit.

Everett park, destroyed by fire, will need $500k for repairs

If the City Council approves a funding ordinance, construction at Wiggums Hollow Park could finish before the summer of 2026.

Narcotics investigation at Lynnwood complex nets 14 arrests

Investigators conducted four search warrants within the Lynnwood apartment units since September.

Charlie Rose Ziegler, 4, plays in fake snow in her Christmas themed outfit during Wintertide on Nov. 28, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Winter wonderland: Everett lights up downtown with annual tree lighting

Hundreds packed the intersection of Colby Avenue and Hewitt Avenue on Friday night to ring in the holiday season.

A photo showing the suspect vehicle from today’s incident. Officers and detectives are working on leads and sharing information with law enforcement in the region regarding an organized crew of males and females that has been using a method of distraction and deception to rob victims. (Edmonds Police Department)
Suspect stole a woman’s jewelry during Friday robbery in Edmonds

Law enforcement is investigating an organized crew that uses distraction and deception to rob victims.

Decorations from the Evergreen State Fair Park holiday event in 2024. (Provided photo)
Evergreen State Fair Park is hoping to spark holiday cheer

The four-day event will include holiday inflatables, rentable igloos, music, dance and fire pits.

A bed at the east Everett cold weather shelter on Tuesday, Feb. 11 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Cold weather shelters prepare to open for winter season

The county’s seven cold weather shelters open when temperatures are forecasted to be at or below 34 degrees Fahrenheit.

Information panels on display as a part of the national exhibit being showcased at Edmonds College on Nov. 19, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds College hosts new climate change and community resilience exhibit

Through Jan. 21, visit the school library in Lynnwood to learn about how climate change is affecting weather patterns and landscapes and how communities are adapting.

Democratic state Rep. Shaun Scott of Seattle (left) is proposing a new payroll tax on large employers in Washington. He took part in a discussion on the state’s tax system during the Budget Matters Summit on Nov. 12, 2025 in Seattle. (Photo courtesy of Washington State Budget and Policy Center)
WA Dems’ latest run at taxing the state’s largest companies

Rep. Shaun Scott’s proposal mirrors an approach Senate Democrats drew up then discarded last session.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.