Edmonds woman drops from Iditarod

NOME, Alaska — Four mushers scratched Tuesday from the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

Jan Steves, of Edmonds, left the race at the Eagle Island checkpoint. She had 15 dogs at the time, but told race officials quitting was in the best interest of her team.

Robert Bundtzen of Anchorage also scratched at Shaktoolik while he had 15 dogs on his team. He says his decision was made because his team wasn’t performing up to expectations.

Earlier in the day, two Wasilla mushers also scratched, Jason Mackey because of the flu and Rudy Demonski Sr. out of concern for his team.

Sixty-six teams took part in the ceremonial start of the race on March 2 in Anchorage. Since then, nine teams have scratched and one musher was withdrawn.

More in Local News

Agencies launch coordinated response to an opioid ‘emergency’

Health workers, law enforcement agencies and emergency managers are responding as they might to a disaster.

King County sheriff could face felony charge in groping case

A former deputy claims John Urquhart groped him. Renton police forwarded the case to the prosecutor.

Snohomish County Council passes a no-new-taxes budget

The spending plan still funds the hiring of five new sheriff’s deputies and a code enforcement officer.

Alleged philanderer attacked with hammer near Everett

His girlfriend had accused him of cheating and allegedly called on another man to confront him.

Pair charged with first-degree robbery in marijuana theft

A man was shot in the head during a holdup that was supposed to net about an ounce of pot.

Puffy-coated robbery suspect arrested on Whidbey

The suspect apparently wore the same outfit in 2 robberies at the same place in less than 2 weeks.

Planning — and patience — can ease Thanksgiving travel

The Washington State Department of Transportation offers information to help guide planning.

Front Porch

JUST FOR YOUTH Fun with leftovers The week after Thanksgiving is always… Continue reading

Former Rose intern says he made her watch sex scene from movie

She says the longtime news anchor never physically touched her during the 20-minute encounter.

Most Read