Ex-Blackwater contractors seek dismissal of case

WASHINGTON — Former security contractors charged in a deadly shooting in Iraq are asking a federal judge to dismiss the indictment against them as the case moves forward to trial.

The four former Blackwater Worldwide contractors are accused of taking part in a Sept. 16, 2007 shooting that prosecutors say killed 14 unarmed Iraqi civilians in Baghdad’s Nisoor Square. The shooting, which prosecutors contend was unprovoked, inflamed anti-American sentiment abroad and led to a criminal prosecution in Washington that has been winding through federal court for years.

Defense lawyers say the men were improperly charged under a federal law that holds military employees and contractors accountable for crimes committed outside the United States. The lawyers say the statute, the Military Extraterritorial Jurisdiction Act, should not apply to the defendants since they were in Iraq on a contract not with the military, but with the State Department. Though the statute also covers non-Pentagon contractors who are in support of the Defense Department’s mission, defense lawyers say the Blackwater guards were specifically assigned to diplomatic security and had no military function.

The government’s failure to link the shooting to a military mission “leaves defendants at a loss as to what they must meet at trial on this element — the element that determines whether the charged conduct is prosecutable under United States law,” the attorneys wrote in a February 21 motion seeking dismissal of the charges.

If the charges are not dismissed, then prosecutors should be ordered to provide more specific information about how the guards were supporting the overseas Pentagon mission, defense lawyers said.

The men face lengthy prison sentences if convicted of the charges, which include manslaughter and attempted manslaughter. Prosecutors have said the heavily armed Blackwater convoy launched an unprovoked attack using sniper fire, machine guns and grenade launchers. Defense lawyers argue their clients are innocent men who were ambushed by Iraqi insurgents.

Prosecutors have not yet filed a response, and a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s office did not immediately return messages seeking comment Monday.

Defense lawyers have previously raised the jurisdictional issue, but a judge in 2009 dismissed the case on separate grounds without ruling on that particular argument. A federal appeals court later overturned the dismissal, and the Justice Department secured a new indictment last October. The trial could begin as soon as June.

The company formerly known as Blackwater Worldwide is under new ownership and is now based in Virginia under the name Academi. Blackwater founder Erik Prince, who ran the company at the time of the Iraq shooting, is no longer affiliated with the company.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

A Flock Safety camera on the corner of 64th Avenue West and 196th Street Southwest on Oct. 28, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett seeks SnoCo judgment that Flock footage is not public record

The filing comes after a Skagit County judge ruled Flock footage is subject to records requests. That ruling is under appeal.

Lynnwood City Council members gather for a meeting on Monday, March 17, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Lynnwood raises property, utility taxes amid budget shortfall

The council approved a 24% property tax increase, lower than the 53% it was allowed to enact without voter approval.

The recent Olympic Pipeline leak spilled an undisclosed amount of jet fuel into a drainage ditch near Lowell-Snohomish River Road in Snohomish. (Photo courtesy BP)
BP’s Olympic Pipeline partially restarted after a nearly two-week shutdown

The pipeline is once again delivering fuel to Sea-Tac airport, and airlines have resumed normal operations.

Lynnwood
Lynnwood hygiene center requires community support to remain open

The Jean Kim Foundation needs to raise $500,000 by the end of the year. The center provides showers to people experiencing homelessness.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Vending machines offer hope in Snohomish County in time for the holidays.

Mariners’ radio announcer Rick Rizzs will help launch a Light The World Giving Machine Tuesday in Lynnwood. A second will be available in Arlington on Dec. 13.

UW student from Mukilteo receives Rhodes Scholarship

Shubham Bansal, who grew up in Mukilteo, is the first UW student to receive the prestigous scholarship since 2012.

Roger Sharp looks over memorabilia from the USS Belknap in his home in Marysville on Nov. 14, 2025. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
‘A gigantic inferno’: 50 years later, Marysville vet recalls warship collision

The USS Belknap ran into the USS John F. Kennedy on Nov. 22, 1975. The ensuing events were unforgettable.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County man files suit against SIG SAUER over alleged defect in P320

The lawsuit filed Monday alleges the design of one of the handguns from the manufacturer has led to a “slew of unintended discharges” across the country.

The Everett City Council on Oct. 22, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett approves $613 million budget for 2026

No employees will be laid off. The city will pause some pension contributions and spend one-time funds to prevent a $7.9 million deficit.

Kicking Gas Campaign Director Derek Hoshiko stands for a portrait Thursday, Sep. 7, 2023, in Langley, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Climate justice group Kicking Gas is expanding efforts to Snohomish County

The nonprofit aims to switch residents to electrical appliances and can help cover up to 75% of installation costs.

Gretchen Clark Bower explains that each sticky hand hanging from the ceiling was stuck there by a child that came through the exam room at the Providence Intervention Center on Nov. 21, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Providence relies on philanthropy for county’s only forensic nursing center

The Providence Intervention Center for Assault and Abuse serves adults and children affected by sexual or physical violence.

Santa Claus walks through the crowd while giving out high-fives during Wintertide on Nov. 28, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Winter wonderland: Everett lights up downtown with annual tree lighting

Hundreds packed the intersection of Colby Avenue and Hewitt Avenue on Friday night to ring in the holiday season.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.