Extent of fire damage to Navy submarine not yet clear

KITTERY, Maine — Those who have spent time on Navy submarines will tell you that few combustible materials are aboard. But don’t tell that to the firefighters who rushed to the USS Miami when a blaze swept through the billion-dollar nuclear-powered submarine.

“It’s like going into a chimney,” said Portsmouth Naval Shipyard firefighter David Funk, who described insulation and wiring fueling a smoky fire that became hot enough for aluminum to burst into flames.

On Friday, two days after the blaze began, workers at the shipyard finished pumping fresh air into the fire-damaged sub, allowing Navy investigators to enter to begin the first damage assessment. It remains to be seen whether the submarine can be salvaged.

U.S. Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire, both members of the Armed Services Committee, visited the shipyard Friday and met with its commander. They thanked a small contingent of firefighters, including Funk, who battled the blaze as the sub’s metal hull trapped the heat inside.

Three Navy teams were dispatched to Portsmouth Naval Shipyard to investigate the incident, the senators told reporters.

The blaze started early Wednesday night at the shipyard where the sub was being overhauled. A handful of shipyard workers were in the forward compartments where the fire began while the sub was in a dry dock, Collins said.

The fire wasn’t extinguished until the next morning. More than 100 firefighters responded from more than a dozen agencies as far away as Groton, Conn., and South Portland.

Eric Wertheim, a U.S. Naval Institute author, characterized the USS Miami fire as a financial disaster, with the potential loss of a submarine that cost $900 million to build, but not a true disaster like the losses of the USS Scorpion and Thresher, nuclear subs that sank during peacetime with a loss of their crews.

“It’s important to put it into perspective,” Wertheim said. “It could’ve been a lot worse.”

The USS Miami fire damaged the torpedo room, crew quarters and command and control areas in the front of the submarine, but the nuclear propulsion components at the back of the sub weren’t harmed.

One defense analyst suggested that the repairs would be so costly that the 22-year-old sub would be scrapped, a scenario that would be similar to the USS Bonefish, a diesel-electric sub decommissioned and scrapped after a fire at sea in 1988.

Vice Adm. Kevin M. McCoy, commander of the Naval Sea Systems Command, told U.S. Sen. Olympia Snowe that he’s hopeful that the ship can be repaired. He said that many vital components escaped damage because they had been removed for the 20-month overhaul and that salvage parts are available from previously decommissioned Los Angeles-class subs.

“He said, ‘We’ve built submarines, so we can fix them as well,”’ said Snowe, who also toured the shipyard Friday.

The intensity of the fire, the lack of lighting, the thick smoke and the metal hull that turned the submarine into an oven all contributed to a difficult blaze for firefighters to extinguish.

Unlike a house fire, there was no way to vent the fire by knocking out windows or using axes to create an opening, and all the smoke billowed from a small number of hatches that firefighters had to use to enter the sub.

“It was pretty intense, a lot of heat, a lot of smoke,” Funk said. “It’s a steel-hulled vessel. It’s basically like going into a chimney into a black void that’s superheated and trying to find the seat of the fire and get it put out.”

The blaze was so blistering hot that a firefighter could only remain in place for minutes before being replaced by another firefighter, a leap-frogging technique that continued throughout the night until firefighters got the stubborn fire under control.

All told, the firefighters rotated 75 times to battle the fire, using 3 million gallons of water, nearly filling some compartments, Snowe said.

Two members of Funk’s fire department were hurt. One had a broken foot, and another had a back injury, he said.

Funk, who left his post at the shipyard on Friday for the first time since the fire started, said he’s thankful it wasn’t worse.

“It’s a miracle that nobody got hurt bad,” he said. “Frankly, it’s a miracle that nobody got killed.”

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Gage Wolfe, left, a senior at Arlington High School and Logan Gardner, right, a senior at Marysville Pilchuck High School work with their team to construct wooden framed walls, copper plumbing, electrical circuits and a brick facade on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
High schoolers construct, compete and get career-ready

In Marysville, career technical education students showed off all they’d learned at the SkillsUSA Teamworks Competition.

The Edmonds City Council on Tuesday, Jan. 6 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds issues moratorium on development in Deer Creek aquifer

The ordinance passed unanimously Tuesday, giving the city time to complete a study on PFAS in the area.

Taylor Scott Richmond / The Herald
Getchell High School students protest ICE during their walkout demonstration on Wednesday in Marysville.
Marysville students peacefully protest ICE

Around 150 Getchell High School students walked out of school to line 67th Avenue Northeast as cars drove by on Wednesday morning.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County voters continue to approve most school levies, bonds

The Monroe School District operations levy, which was failing after initial results, was passing Thursday with 50.4% of the vote.

People fish from the pier, hold hands on the beach and steer a swamped canoe in the water as the sun sets on another day at Kayak Point on Monday, June 12, 2023, in Stanwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Kayak Point Park construction to resume

Improvements began in 2023, with phase one completed in 2024. Phase two will begin on Feb. 17.

Everett
Everett to pilot new districtwide neighborhood meetings

Neighborhoods will still hold regular meetings, but regular visits from the mayor, city council members and police chief will take place at larger districtwide events.

A truck drives west along Casino Road past a new speed camera set up near Horizon Elementary on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Crashes, speeding down near Everett traffic cameras

Data shared by the city showed that crashes have declined near its red light cameras and speeds have decreased near its speeding cameras.

Community Transit is considering buying the Goodwill Outlet on Casino Road, shown here on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Community Transit to pay $25.4M for Everett Goodwill property

The south Everett Goodwill outlet will remain open for three more years per a proposed lease agreement.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Parent support collaborative worries money will run out

If funding runs out, Homeward House won’t be able to support parents facing drug use disorders and poverty.

Carlos Cerrato, owner of Taqueria El Coyote, outside of his food truck on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lynnwood. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett proposes law to help close unpermitted food carts

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to operate food stands without a permit, in an attempt to curb the spread of the stands officials say can be dangerous.

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Mukilteo in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Man dies after being struck by a train in Mukilteo

Police describe the man as a white adult. He has not yet been identified.

One woman injured in vehicle vs. pedestrian collision in Everett

First responders transported a woman in her early 30s to the hospital after she was struck by a vehicle in the 11800 block of State Route 99.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.