New destroyers among plans for increased activity at naval station

EVERETT — U.S. Navy Capt. Mark Lakamp took the stage at Naval Station Everett on Thursday for his first address to a roomful of community leaders.

Lakamp, who transferred here last May to become the base’s commanding officer, used the speech to provide political and business leaders with a rundown of base and regional Navy operations and recent deployments.

The speech, the annual State of the Station address to the Economic Alliance of Snohomish County, was also intended to help strengthen relationships between the military and civilian worlds. They’re already pretty strong, Lakamp said.

“This is the most Navy-friendly community I’ve seen in 24 years of service,” Lakamp said.

Naval Station Everett celebrated its 22nd birthday last week, and while it’s been relatively quiet since the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz was sent to Bremerton for maintenance, it’s going to get busier in the coming years.

That’s because the Navy has announced a total of four Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyers will be coming to Everett, bringing with them approximately 1,240 crew on top of the 2,736 active-duty military and civilian personnel currently working at the base and on the two destroyers currently homeported here.

“Right now that’s the biggest thing, getting ready for success with four more crews,” Lakamp said in an interview with The Daily Herald.

The first of the four destroyers, the USS Gridley, is expected to arrive this summer. It will be followed by the USS Sampson in the fall and the USS Kidd in late fall or winter, Lakamp said.

The fourth, the USS Ralph Johnson, is still under construction at Huntington Ingalls Industries in Pascagoula, Mississippi, and probably won’t arrive before mid-2017.

The USS Nimitz aircraft carrier, with about 3,000 crew, might return in 2019 from Bremerton, where it has been undergoing extensive maintenance and modernization work.

Preparing the base for their arrival is going to take some work.

The base’s public works department already is working on rebuilding the base’s main gate to protect personnel from the weather, a $665,000 construction project.

The base is also working on a 20-year development plan, which includes constructing new barracks for unaccompanied sailors, and also improving ship maintenance and waterfront facilities.

Naval Station Everett is the second-largest employer in Snohomish County, behind the Boeing Co.

The base produces $318 million in activity per year, said Jim Baumgart, a policy adviser to Gov. Jay Inslee.

The arrival of four destroyers will amount to an additional $43 million in salaries alone coming into the region, Lakamp said.

Patrick Pierce, president and CEO of the Economic Alliance of Snohomish County, said the local community already works hard to integrate the sailors and their families.

That includes the real estate industry, which works to help find housing for new arrivals. Navy kids attend local schools, and the spouses of sailors often need to find work in the community while they are stationed here.

“Events like this help remind our business community that there’s opportunity there,” Pierce said.

Chris Winters: 425-374-4165; cwinters@heraldnet.com. Twitter: @Chris_At_Herald.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Gage Wolfe, left, a senior at Arlington High School and Logan Gardner, right, a senior at Marysville Pilchuck High School work with their team to construct wooden framed walls, copper plumbing, electrical circuits and a brick facade on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
High schoolers construct, compete and get career-ready

In Marysville, career technical education students showed off all they’d learned at the SkillsUSA Teamworks Competition.

The Edmonds City Council on Tuesday, Jan. 6 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds issues moratorium on development in Deer Creek aquifer

The ordinance passed unanimously Tuesday, giving the city time to complete a study on PFAS in the area.

Taylor Scott Richmond / The Herald
Getchell High School students protest ICE during their walkout demonstration on Wednesday in Marysville.
Marysville students peacefully protest ICE

Around 150 Getchell High School students walked out of school to line 67th Avenue Northeast as cars drove by on Wednesday morning.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County voters continue to approve most school levies, bonds

The Monroe School District operations levy, which was failing after initial results, was passing Thursday with 50.4% of the vote.

People fish from the pier, hold hands on the beach and steer a swamped canoe in the water as the sun sets on another day at Kayak Point on Monday, June 12, 2023, in Stanwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Kayak Point Park construction to resume

Improvements began in 2023, with phase one completed in 2024. Phase two will begin on Feb. 17.

Everett
Everett to pilot new districtwide neighborhood meetings

Neighborhoods will still hold regular meetings, but regular visits from the mayor, city council members and police chief will take place at larger districtwide events.

A truck drives west along Casino Road past a new speed camera set up near Horizon Elementary on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Crashes, speeding down near Everett traffic cameras

Data shared by the city showed that crashes have declined near its red light cameras and speeds have decreased near its speeding cameras.

Community Transit is considering buying the Goodwill Outlet on Casino Road, shown here on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Community Transit to pay $25.4M for Everett Goodwill property

The south Everett Goodwill outlet will remain open for three more years per a proposed lease agreement.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Parent support collaborative worries money will run out

If funding runs out, Homeward House won’t be able to support parents facing drug use disorders and poverty.

Carlos Cerrato, owner of Taqueria El Coyote, outside of his food truck on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lynnwood. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett proposes law to help close unpermitted food carts

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to operate food stands without a permit, in an attempt to curb the spread of the stands officials say can be dangerous.

Clothing Optional performs at the Fisherman’s Village Music Festival on Thursday, May 15 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Everett music festival to end after 12 years

The Everett Music Initiative is ending the Fisherman’s Village Music Festival, the nonprofit’s flagship event that was first held in 2014.

Arlington Mayor Don Vanney tours the city’s Volunteers of America Western Washington food distribution center. (Provided photo)
Arlington food center receives 32,000-pound donation

The gift will be distributed to food banks across Snohomish County, providing more than 26,000 meals.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.