State’s distracted driving laws are about to get tougher

EVERETT — A new law is expected to give officers more leeway to catch distracted drivers.

As of July 23, people in Washington cannot use hand-held phones or electronics while driving. Watching videos at the wheel also will be illegal. The fine for multiple offenses has been bumped up, and records of violations will be available to insurance companies.

The change in policy followed a 30 percent increase in deaths caused by distracted driving between 2014 and 2015, according to the Washington Traffic Safety Commission.

Gov. Jay Inslee said he plans to work with law enforcement agencies statewide over the next six months to educate drivers on the change.

Under the current law, it is illegal for drivers to hold a phone to their ear or to text. However, they can use the speaker function and hold their phone while talking. The law also predates smartphone technology, which introduces video, social media and apps into the mix.

“Before, our hands were tied,” said Sgt. Mark Francis with the Washington State Patrol. “Literally, we could only cite someone if they were reading, writing and sending a text message. Looking down at a map is just as distracting as writing a text message.”

Last year, State Patrol troopers wrote 939 tickets in Snohomish County for talking on the phone while driving. An additional 262 citations were issued for texting.

Meanwhile, there have been nearly 1,850 distracted driving-related crashes so far this year, according to Target Zero, an organization that promotes traffic safety. Distracted driving has become a more prevalent factor in fatal crashes than speeding.

Drivers are 23 times more likely to crash when inputting information into their phone, according to the traffic safety commission.

Stacey McShane, the manager of Target Zero, said she regularly sees people texting with their elbows propped on the steering wheel.

She tagged along on a DUI emphasis patrol with the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office in May. The deputy she was riding with pulled over at least four people who appeared to be under the influence. It turned out they were fiddling with their phones.

“When police look at these cars, they can’t tell if they’re drunk or using their phones,” McShane said.

Francis said drivers who are looking at their phones, sleepy or impaired by drugs or alcohol exhibit the same behaviors — namely speeding and drifting out of their lane.

Under the new law, drivers can still use hands-free devices such as Bluetooth. Minimal use, such as pushing a button to initiate a call, is legal.

Other distractions, such as smoking or eating, can be treated as a secondary offense. That means the driver would have to be stopped for another traffic violation first in order to be ticketed for eating on the go. An additional fine of at least $30 can be tacked on to the citation.

It’s dangerous to be driving a motor vehicle at any speed, Francis said. “You need to be concentrating.”

A first-time distracted driving offense could cost at least $136, according to the traffic safety commission. If the same driver is issued a second ticket within five years, it could cost $272.

The money collected from citations will be deposited into an account that supports programs dedicated to preventing distracted driving.

McShane said there will be a learning curve for drivers, especially since the law takes effect next month. The Target Zero team is developing plans to get the word out.

The State Patrol is offering drivers a six-month grace period. Troopers are focusing on educating drivers and passing out pamphlets with information about the new law rather than issuing tickets.

Caitlin Tompkins: 425-339-3192; ctompkins@heraldnet.com.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Gage Wolfe, left, a senior at Arlington High School and Logan Gardner, right, a senior at Marysville Pilchuck High School work with their team to construct wooden framed walls, copper plumbing, electrical circuits and a brick facade on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
High schoolers construct, compete and get career-ready

In Marysville, career technical education students showed off all they’d learned at the SkillsUSA Teamworks Competition.

The Edmonds City Council on Tuesday, Jan. 6 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds issues moratorium on development in Deer Creek aquifer

The ordinance passed unanimously Tuesday, giving the city time to complete a study on PFAS in the area.

Taylor Scott Richmond / The Herald
Getchell High School students protest ICE during their walkout demonstration on Wednesday in Marysville.
Marysville students peacefully protest ICE

Around 150 Getchell High School students walked out of school to line 67th Avenue Northeast as cars drove by on Wednesday morning.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County voters continue to approve most school levies, bonds

The Monroe School District operations levy, which was failing after initial results, was passing Thursday with 50.4% of the vote.

People fish from the pier, hold hands on the beach and steer a swamped canoe in the water as the sun sets on another day at Kayak Point on Monday, June 12, 2023, in Stanwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Kayak Point Park construction to resume

Improvements began in 2023, with phase one completed in 2024. Phase two will begin on Feb. 17.

Everett
Everett to pilot new districtwide neighborhood meetings

Neighborhoods will still hold regular meetings, but regular visits from the mayor, city council members and police chief will take place at larger districtwide events.

A truck drives west along Casino Road past a new speed camera set up near Horizon Elementary on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Crashes, speeding down near Everett traffic cameras

Data shared by the city showed that crashes have declined near its red light cameras and speeds have decreased near its speeding cameras.

Community Transit is considering buying the Goodwill Outlet on Casino Road, shown here on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Community Transit to pay $25.4M for Everett Goodwill property

The south Everett Goodwill outlet will remain open for three more years per a proposed lease agreement.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Parent support collaborative worries money will run out

If funding runs out, Homeward House won’t be able to support parents facing drug use disorders and poverty.

Carlos Cerrato, owner of Taqueria El Coyote, outside of his food truck on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lynnwood. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett proposes law to help close unpermitted food carts

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to operate food stands without a permit, in an attempt to curb the spread of the stands officials say can be dangerous.

Megan Wolfe, the executive director of the Snohomish County’s Girls on the Run, at her office on Thursday, Feb. 12, 2026 in Mountlake Terrace, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
SnoCo nonprofit teaches running and life skills simultaneously

Girls on the Run hopes to teach students confidence and people skills while getting them to be active.

Arlington
Man convicted of manslaughter after stabbing death of his friend on a camping trip

The third trial for Alexander Vanags, of Arlington, came to a close Thursday after five weeks in Whatcom County Superior Court.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.