Mohammed Riaz Khan waves at a passerby he knows near the intersection of Harbour Point Blvd. and Mukilteo Speedway, while visiting the site of the planned mosque, The Islamic Center of Mukilteo, in early May. The signage, which had fallen or was blown down, is at the east end of the property. (Dan Bates / Herald file)

Mohammed Riaz Khan waves at a passerby he knows near the intersection of Harbour Point Blvd. and Mukilteo Speedway, while visiting the site of the planned mosque, The Islamic Center of Mukilteo, in early May. The signage, which had fallen or was blown down, is at the east end of the property. (Dan Bates / Herald file)

Site of planned mosque in Mukilteo vandalized

May 9, 2016

MUKILTEO — Police are investigating flyers with the words “Ban Islam from America” posted at the site of a planned mosque, the Islamic Center of Mukilteo.

A U.S. flag was placed nearby.

The flyers had about six paragraphs of “anti-Islamic rhetoric,” said Mukilteo police officer Myron Travis. The flyers were attached to a sign that has been posted on property at 3920 Harbour Pointe Blvd. announcing it as the site of the planned mosque. The mosque’s sign also was damaged.

Police are investigating the incident as possible malicious harassment, which can be charged as a felony. Police collected the signs and the flag as potential evidence.

The vandalism was reported by an anonymous caller Thursday afternoon.

On Monday, Mukilteo Mayor Jennifer Gregerson called the incident “hateful and unacceptable.”

“I don’t think that represents Mukilteo,” she said.

Gregerson said she thinks the mosque is opposed by a small group of people. There are others who have questions or are unaware about the Islamic faith, she said.

“My community values diversity,” she said. “Mukilteo is a place for everyone.”

Mary Ellen Wood, executive director of the Everett-based Interfaith Association of Northwest Washington, said she was disheartened and frustrated to hear about the defacing of a sign and leaving of anti-Muslim materials at the planned mosque site.

“What does it say about the person or persons who did this cowardly, fearful act to think that pairing hatred and fear with a U.S. flag represents the local majority in our area?” she said. “I must believe this does not represent the majority in our local communities.”

The group previously announced plans to schedule interfaith suppers. In addition, she said she hopes that the faith community will gather on a yet to be determined date “in prayer, meditation or simple silence to stand together in response to this hatred.”

Mohammed Riaz Khan, president of the mosque, said he saw the flyers attached to the mosque sign Thursday.

Khan said he is working with local religious groups to schedule a public meeting by the end of the month so that people who have questions about the mosque can get answers.

“We want peace and prosperity,” he said. “We shouldn’t hate each other. We should love each other.”

Khan met with Congressman Rick Larsen on Monday afternoon to discuss the mosque and has traded phone messages with Gov. Jay Inslee. Jaime Smith, the governor’s communications director, said she did not know if the two men planned to meet or speak again in the near future.

Plans for the mosque were first announced in 2013. Last year, Khan and other mosque supporters organized a Community Day at Harbour Pointe Middle School to bring together people of all faiths and to provide opportunities to tour the site of the planned mosque.

Plans submitted to the city call for a 3,796-square-foot, two-story building with space for a prayer area, multi-purpose room, two small offices, a kitchen, bathrooms and two classrooms.

The posting of flyers with anti-Islamic sentiment is the latest in a controversy involving the mosque. Last month, an anonymous postcard was mailed citywide, calling attention to plans for the mosque. It was sent by somebody with the email address: mukilteostaysafe@gmail.com.

Peter Zieve, who leads the aerospace firm Electroimpact Inc., first denied knowing about it, then later admitted that he was behind the mailing.

In an April 29 letter to the Mukilteo Beacon, Zieve said he regretted sending the postcards, and that he reacted in fear “to recent world events involving radical Islam.”

Last month, Khan called on Zieve to publicly apologize for his opposition to the mosque through a citywide postcard mailing. On Monday, Khan said that remains his position.

The city of Mukilteo has set a deadline of May 20 for public comment on plans for the mosque. So far, the city has received about 15 comments, said Glen Pickus, a planning manager for the city. Once the comment period ends, the planning department will send a letter to the applicants with comments on the submitted plans and any corrections they have to make or additional information they have to provide under the city’s building codes, he said.

Reporter Jerry Cornfield contributed to this story

Sharon Salyer: 425-339-3486; salyer@heraldnet.com.

Association asks for support

The Interfaith Association of Northwest Washington wants people of all faiths to gather for prayer, meditation or simple silence as a show of support for the mosque. The group also is organizing interfaith suppers. Plans for the two as-yet unscheduled events are under way. For more information, call the association at 425-252-6672.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Gage Wolfe, left, a senior at Arlington High School and Logan Gardner, right, a senior at Marysville Pilchuck High School work with their team to construct wooden framed walls, copper plumbing, electrical circuits and a brick facade on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
High schoolers construct, compete and get career-ready

In Marysville, career technical education students showed off all they’d learned at the SkillsUSA Teamworks Competition.

The Edmonds City Council on Tuesday, Jan. 6 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds issues moratorium on development in Deer Creek aquifer

The ordinance passed unanimously Tuesday, giving the city time to complete a study on PFAS in the area.

Taylor Scott Richmond / The Herald
Getchell High School students protest ICE during their walkout demonstration on Wednesday in Marysville.
Marysville students peacefully protest ICE

Around 150 Getchell High School students walked out of school to line 67th Avenue Northeast as cars drove by on Wednesday morning.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County voters continue to approve most school levies, bonds

The Monroe School District operations levy, which was failing after initial results, was passing Thursday with 50.4% of the vote.

People fish from the pier, hold hands on the beach and steer a swamped canoe in the water as the sun sets on another day at Kayak Point on Monday, June 12, 2023, in Stanwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Kayak Point Park construction to resume

Improvements began in 2023, with phase one completed in 2024. Phase two will begin on Feb. 17.

Everett
Everett to pilot new districtwide neighborhood meetings

Neighborhoods will still hold regular meetings, but regular visits from the mayor, city council members and police chief will take place at larger districtwide events.

A truck drives west along Casino Road past a new speed camera set up near Horizon Elementary on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Crashes, speeding down near Everett traffic cameras

Data shared by the city showed that crashes have declined near its red light cameras and speeds have decreased near its speeding cameras.

Community Transit is considering buying the Goodwill Outlet on Casino Road, shown here on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Community Transit to pay $25.4M for Everett Goodwill property

The south Everett Goodwill outlet will remain open for three more years per a proposed lease agreement.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Parent support collaborative worries money will run out

If funding runs out, Homeward House won’t be able to support parents facing drug use disorders and poverty.

Carlos Cerrato, owner of Taqueria El Coyote, outside of his food truck on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lynnwood. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett proposes law to help close unpermitted food carts

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to operate food stands without a permit, in an attempt to curb the spread of the stands officials say can be dangerous.

Arlington
Man convicted of manslaughter after stabbing death of his friend on a camping trip

The third trial for Alexander Vanags, of Arlington, came to a close Thursday after five weeks in Whatcom County Superior Court.

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Arlington in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Police arrest man, 23, after he allegedly assaulted a man, 42, with a knife

Friday morning, police responded to a confrontation in the Pilot Travel Center’s parking lot in Arlington that resulted in an assault.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.