Slice up the cake. Blow up the balloons. Schack Art Center is having a birthday.
Schack is turning a year old and is sending out an invitation to everyone to help it celebrate May 6.
There will be cake and balloons and party favors in the form of artwork that you, the guests, create.
There will be lots of party games too, hands-on activities for all ages, and a raffle for a chance to win a one-year Schack membership or an original glass centerpiece.
The Schack Birthday Bash is noon to 5 p.m. May 6 at Schack Art Center, 2921 Hoyt Ave., Everett. This is a free community event.
For questions call Amy Vernette at 425-259-5050, ext. 35, email her at avernetteschack.org or go to www.schack.org.
Birthday Bash activities include:
• Mask making from noon to 5 p.m.
• Artist Nikki Wheeler leading youth in art projects throughout the day.
• Artist Celeste Douville doing collage demonstration from 2:30 to 5 p.m. for ages 16 and above.
• Daylong watercolor demonstrations by artist Charlene Collins Freeman.
• How to create “Friendship Folios” with artist Anna Mastronardi Novak for ages 13 and above.
• An all-ages “upcycled” art project with artist Jody Cain throughout the day.
• A highlight of the Birthday Bash will be glass blowing in the Schack’s hot shop where families will get the chance to do more than watch: “Make it Now!” sessions, where guests can create a glass-blown flower or a fused glass pendant.
“Our instructors have it down and work great with people,” Schack executive director Judy Tuohy said. “Glass blowing is very popular, and it is good timing with Mother’s Day.”
All Birthday Bash activities are free, but the “Make it Now!” sessions require a fee and registration.
The glass flowers session will be from noon to 3 p.m. May 6 for ages 13 and above. The cost is $40. The fused glass jewelry session is from 2 to 5 p.m. May 6 for ages 13 and above. The cost is $45.
To reserve your space on line or for more information on registering go to www.schack.org/classes/default/.
Theresa Goffredo: 425-339-3424; firstname.lastname@example.org.