50 years ago (1962)
Two veteran real-estate agents were guest of honor at the annual banquet meeting of Everett Board of Realtors. They were Lloyd Hunsaker, who had been in the real estate business here since 1902, and Tom Mortland, who had been subdividing property in and around Everett since 1923.
Retiring Postmaster Walter Jones relinquished the key to the Pinehurst office, which today became a station of the Everett office. This followed the conversion of the Lowell Post Office to a similar status recently. Anita Clark would continue on as clerk at the Pinehurst facility.
25 years ago (1987)
James Thompson had been named president of finance for Opcon Inc., a privately held electronics company in Everett. He oversaw financial, regulatory and legal activities and provided leadership in the areas of planning and business development. Previously he had headed Falcon Technology.
The Bryant Landfill, dump for north county’s garbage since the 1960s, would close Oct. 1. The same day a new transfer station and recycling center near the Arlington airport would open. Closing the dump would leave the county with only one landfill, the Cathcart Sanitary Landfill.
By Jack O’Donnell from Herald archives at the Everett Public Library.