Documents: Men had pact to kill each other’s wives

BOISE, Idaho — Two men charged with murdering an Idaho woman who disappeared three years ago had a pact to kill each other’s wives, according to court documents released in the case.

Rachael Anderson, of Lewiston, was 40 when she disappeared in 2010. On Wednesday, her estranged husband, Charles Capone, of Clarkston, and David C. Stone, of Moscow, Idaho, were charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder in 2nd District Court.

One of Stone’s former coworkers at the city of Moscow, Christopher Porter, told law enforcement agents that Stone originally wanted him to kill his wife, Alisa Stone.

But Stone later called off that plan, after telling Porter that he and Capone had agreed to kill each other’s wives, according to a probable cause motion that accompanies the charges. Latah County Sheriff’s Department Corporal Tim Besst wrote that Porter told him Stone would have paid him $10,000 to kill his wife, who had a large life insurance policy.

“In early March, 2010, Stone contacted Porter and advised he no longer needed him to kill his wife,” Besst wrote, citing his interview with Porter. “Stone said that he and Capone had come up with a plan to kill each other’s wives.”

Alisa Stone, wife of David Stone, didn’t immediately return a phone call seeking comment Friday.

According to court documents, she confirmed to authorities that she had a life insurance policy.

Both Stone and Capone are being held in Latah County Jail.

Stone’s lawyer, Ray Barker, has declined comment. Charles Kovis, Capone’s public defender, wasn’t available for comment Friday.

Anderson, a mother of four, disappeared April 16, 2010. She was last seen in Moscow.

Authorities now indicate that they believe Capone and Stone may have drugged, then killed Anderson before disposing of her body, which hasn’t been found.

According to court documents, authorities are also relying on statements they say Capone made to other inmates while in jail on a federal weapons conviction in January 2013.

Brent Glass, an inmate in the Asotin County Jail in Clarkston earlier this year, told law enforcement agents on Jan. 15 that Capone became angry about being teased by other prisoners about Anderson and her whereabouts.

“Capone jumped up and walked away and Glass walked with him,” according to the documents. “Capone said, ‘I buried the body so deep they’ll never find it.’ “

After completing his federal sentence in September, Capone had been in Asotin County Jail in Washington on a $1 million bond since Oct. 3 after being charged with domestic violence assault against Anderson in a case stemming from an incident before she went missing.

More in Local News

Mill Creek councilman no longer lives in city, panel finds

The Canvassing Board determined Sean Kelly is not eligible to vote there.

A Democrat and ex-Republican team up to end two-party politics

Brian Baird and Chris Vance unveil a new organization called Washington Independents.

The beavers weren’t happy, either, about Mill Creek flooding

A tree fell on their dam, sending a rush of water into a neighborhood near Jackson High School.

Two windsurfers rescued from Port Susan near Kayak Point

The men had failed to return to shore during Sunday’s windstorm.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s best images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

Stranger offered candy to student walking home from school

The Granite Falls School District is warning families about… Continue reading

Coming together as family

Special-needs students and teachers at the Transition Center cooked up a Thanksgiving feast.

Lynnwood’s property tax promise to homeowners sort of true

They were told consolidation of fire departments would save, but new rates likely will be more.

Woman who died in 5-car crash identified

A car driven by Susan E. Sill rear-ended another vehicle Wednesday on Smokey Point Boulevard.

Most Read