Lee Surut, retired Army major general, dies from injuries in U.S. 2 crash

WASHINGTON — Lee Surut, a retired Army major general who served as a division artillery commander during the Vietnam war and later as commandant of the National War College, died July 20 at a hospital in Seattle. He was 89.

His daughter, Louisa Greene, said he died of injuries suffered in an auto accident July 12. According to Washington State Patrol Trooper Richard Lee, Surut was a passenger in an auto that was struck by another car on U.S. 2 near Monroe.

Surut enlisted in the Army as a student at Harvard College in 1943, two years after the U.S. entry into World War II. He retired in 1983 as commandant of the National War College at Fort McNair in Washington.

In retirement, he was director of the support services division of Analytic Sciences in Northern Virginia for nine years.

Lee Eli Surut was born April 10, 1925, in New York City. After World War II he attended the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York, graduating in 1949. At his death, he was president of his West Point class.

During his Army career, Gen. Surut received a master’s degree in English at Columbia University and a master’s degree in international relations from George Washington University.

He was an Army paratrooper and in 1970 commanded the 101st Airborne Division artillery in combat operations in Vietnam, for which he received the Legion of Merit. On retirement, he received a Distinguished Service Medal.

Surut was a resident of Bethesda, Maryland, and a former senior warden of St. Dunstan’s Episcopal Church in Bethesda.

Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Trudy Tulley Surut, of Bethesda, Maryland; three children, Louisa Greene of Old Greenwich, Connecticut, Christine Crane of Black Hawk, Colorado; David Surut of Sandy, Utah; six grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

More in Local News

Mukilteo crabber missing; his boat was found at Hat Island

Frank Urbick set out Thursday morning but did not return.

Police looking for leads in case of missing Snohomish man

Henry John Groeneveld, 63, was last seen on Monday, when he said something about going to “the river.”

Separate Everett fires send man to hospital, damage boat

The man was hospitalized for smoke inhalation from the early morning fire.

Police: He made an appointment, then tried to rob the bank

A lawyer is accused of donning a fake beard and telling a teller that a gunman was outside.

Drive-by shooting reported in Marysville neighborhood

Police said there was no evidence to indicate it was targeted at a specific person or property.

Celebrating the origins of Christmas

LDS church holds annual nativity festival featuring more than 600 sets.

Trooper’s car struck when he was arresting man for DUI

She drove away but was arrested for investigation of driving under the influence and hit-and-run.

Inslee’s budget solves school funding with help from carbon

His budget would use reserves to boost education, then replenish them with a carbon tax or fee.

Man, 29, injured by shots fired at Everett thrift store

The gunfire followed an argument in the parking lot of Value Village on Evergreen Way.

Most Read