Lower costs extend Medicare trust fund

WASHINGTON — Falling health-care costs are brightening the financial outlook for Medicare, extending the life of the trust fund that supports the program until 2026 — two years later than previously forecast.

The new projections, released Friday by the program’s trustees, credit President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act in part for the improvement in the finances of the federal health insurance program for the elderly. The act’s limits on Medicare Advantage, a more expensive form of Medicare run by private insurers, are proving more effective than previously forecast, the report said.

The trustees also cited lower-than-expected spending in “most … service categories — especially skilled nursing facilities,” a development that is not well understood. Costs have been slowing throughout the health-care industry, due in part to the recent recession, economists say, but also because of what appear to be more fundamental changes aimed at reducing waste and improving results.

The trustees reported no such gains in the finances of Social Security, but no significant deterioration, either. The Social Security trust funds will have enough cash to pay full retirement and disability benefits until 2033, the report said.

Both programs still face huge long-term financial problems as the baby-boom generation retires. And on Friday, analysts worried that the sunnier projections, together with an improving economy and a rapidly shrinking federal budget deficit, could serve to further dampen enthusiasm in Washington for tackling the nation’s toughest fiscal problems.

“To me, that’s the real loss of all this good news,” said Paul Ginsburg, president of the Washington-based Center for Studying Health System Change. “I don’t think anyone except the most extreme person, seeing these trends, thinks the Medicare cost problem has been solved. But the way politicians are, it does tend to take the pressure off.”

At a news conference to release the report at the Treasury Department, top administration officials pledged to do more to control costs even as they hailed the early success of the president’s signature health-care initiative. The Affordable Care Act has come under sustained attack since its passage in 2010 from Republicans who accused Obama of raiding Medicare to help pay for an expansion of health coverage for the uninsured.

The Affordable Care Act indeed aimed to slice roughly $700 billion in savings from Medicare over a decade, mainly through cost controls for providers. The result since its passage, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said, has been to extend the life of the trust fund that pays hospital bills by nearly a decade.

“Today’s trustee report confirms that the ACA is continuing to strengthen Medicare and ensure its solvency for future generations,” Sebelius said, noting that the administration had advanced that goal “without eliminating a single guaranteed benefit.”

With Medicare spending per person now rising at the historically low rate of 1.7 percent a year, Sebelius said, seniors can also expect to profit: Preliminary estimates show Medicare premiums will not rise “a single dime” for 2014.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Gage Wolfe, left, a senior at Arlington High School and Logan Gardner, right, a senior at Marysville Pilchuck High School work with their team to construct wooden framed walls, copper plumbing, electrical circuits and a brick facade on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
High schoolers construct, compete and get career-ready

In Marysville, career technical education students showed off all they’d learned at the SkillsUSA Teamworks Competition.

The Edmonds City Council on Tuesday, Jan. 6 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds issues moratorium on development in Deer Creek aquifer

The ordinance passed unanimously Tuesday, giving the city time to complete a study on PFAS in the area.

Taylor Scott Richmond / The Herald
Getchell High School students protest ICE during their walkout demonstration on Wednesday in Marysville.
Marysville students peacefully protest ICE

Around 150 Getchell High School students walked out of school to line 67th Avenue Northeast as cars drove by on Wednesday morning.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County voters continue to approve most school levies, bonds

The Monroe School District operations levy, which was failing after initial results, was passing Thursday with 50.4% of the vote.

People fish from the pier, hold hands on the beach and steer a swamped canoe in the water as the sun sets on another day at Kayak Point on Monday, June 12, 2023, in Stanwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Kayak Point Park construction to resume

Improvements began in 2023, with phase one completed in 2024. Phase two will begin on Feb. 17.

Everett
Everett to pilot new districtwide neighborhood meetings

Neighborhoods will still hold regular meetings, but regular visits from the mayor, city council members and police chief will take place at larger districtwide events.

A truck drives west along Casino Road past a new speed camera set up near Horizon Elementary on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Crashes, speeding down near Everett traffic cameras

Data shared by the city showed that crashes have declined near its red light cameras and speeds have decreased near its speeding cameras.

Community Transit is considering buying the Goodwill Outlet on Casino Road, shown here on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Community Transit to pay $25.4M for Everett Goodwill property

The south Everett Goodwill outlet will remain open for three more years per a proposed lease agreement.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Parent support collaborative worries money will run out

If funding runs out, Homeward House won’t be able to support parents facing drug use disorders and poverty.

Carlos Cerrato, owner of Taqueria El Coyote, outside of his food truck on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lynnwood. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett proposes law to help close unpermitted food carts

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to operate food stands without a permit, in an attempt to curb the spread of the stands officials say can be dangerous.

A damaged section of State Route 542 between mileposts 43 and 45 east of Glacier after flooding from an atmospheric river in December 2025. (Washington State Department of Transportation)
Washington flood damage totals at least $182M

Gov. Bob Ferguson is seeking $137 million in federal aid to deal with infrastructure damage.

The Lynnwood City Council meets in their chambers on Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Lynnwood reconsiders Flock, discusses immigration resolution

Police Chief Cole Langdon said the department is “extremely limited” in its ability to intervene during federal immigration operations.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.