Man escapes, but 4 animals die in Bothell fire

  • Mon May 3rd, 2010 10:41pm
  • News

Herald staff

BOTHELL — A dog, a cat and two birds died in a fire that caused $230,000 in damage Monday evening.

Reports of a house on fire and a column of black smoke led firefighters to the 6100 block of 228th Street SE. shortly before 6 p.m., Snohomish County Fire District 7 spokeswoman Autumn Waite said. One man was home at the time and made it out safely with several pets.

Fire investigators determined the blaze started when combustibles kept near a space heater ignited.

The home was destroyed, Waite said. Snohomish County Red Cross volunteers were called to help the homeowners.

Anything that can burn should be kept at least three feet away from heaters and fireplaces, Waite said. She offered these tips to help protect your house from fire:

  • Turn portable heaters off when you go to bed or leave the room.

    Plug space heaters only into outlets with sufficient capacity and never into an extension cord.

    Inspect for cracked, frayed or broken plugs and for loose connections. Replace before using.