Monroe inmate, suspect in officer’s slaying, has a record of violence

TACOMA — A prison inmate suspected of strangling a corrections officer at the Monroe Correctional Complex on Saturday has a history of attacking women.

A staff psychiatrist at Western State Hospital who examined Byron Scherf 30 years ago predicted that no amount of treatment or incarceration would curb Scherf’s dangerousness.

“I feel that even after treatment for his rape tendencies he would still be of strong enough antisocial personality that he would continue to break the law,” staff psychiatrist Donald Allison wrote in a March 10, 1981, report to a Pierce County judge.

Monroe police have named Scherf the prime suspect in the death of Jayme Biendl, 34. The corrections officer was found dead in the prison chapel Saturday evening.

Corrections officers found Scherf near the chapel about an hour earlier. He allegedly told them he was planning to escape. The 52-year-old inmate is serving a life sentence without the possibility of release under the state’s “three strikes” law.

He accumulated two of his strikes in Pierce County, according to court records.

The first came in 1978 when he pleaded guilty to second-degree assault after attacking a 16-year-old girl with a knife. He and two buddies picked up the girl as she hitchhiked in Tacoma. Prosecutors alleged Scherf intended to rape the girl.

He served two years of a 10-year sentence at the Monroe prison and was released in 1980.

Less than a year later, prosecutors charged him with kidnapping, rape, robbery and assault after he abducted a young Pierce County waitress at knifepoint, bound her, raped her, doused the room she was in with gasoline and set it on fire, according to court records.

“The waitress survived by wriggling, still bound, through a second-story window,” court records show. “Her fall was broken by a veranda porch, after which she managed to free herself and call for help.”

Scherf pleaded guilty to first-degree rape and first-degree assault in May 1981 and was sentenced to a maximum of life in prison.

He served about 12 years in prison before being paroled.

Scherf later was convicted of abducting and raping a Spokane-area real estate agent in 1995: his third strike.

Born in Minnesota, Scherf moved with his parents and six siblings to Tacoma in 1968, according to a pre-sentence investigatory report prepared after his first conviction.

He attended Baker Junior High School and started 10th grade at Mount Tahoma High School before dropping out in 1976.

“While still in school he worked as an apprentice cabinet maker for eight months in Lakewood, Wash.,” the report states.

He moved to Oregon for a short time to live with a brother but returned to Tacoma in June 1976 and joined the Army but was discharged after a few months “because he showed signs of social and emotional maladjustment,” the report shows.

Scherf, whose parents eventually divorced, got into trouble with the law as a juvenile and spent time in the Remann Hall juvenile detention center in Tacoma. Pierce County court records show a 1973 conviction as a juvenile for unlawful entry of a residence.

“(His mother) is apparently unable to cope with her son’s problems and indicated the only thing she could do for him was pray,” parole officer Linda Engleking wrote in the pre-sentence report.

More in Local News

A customer walks away after buying a hot dog from a vendor on 33rd St and Smith Street near the Everett Station on Friday. The Everett Station District Alliance pictures the area east of Broadway and south of Hewitt Avenue as a future neighborhood and transit hub that could absorb expected population growth. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
How can Everett Station become a vibrant part of city?

A neighborhood alliance focused on long-term revitalization will update the public Tuesday.

Man arrested after police find van full of drugs, cash and guns

An officer on patrol noticed a vehicle by itself in the middle of a WinCo parking lot at 2 a.m.

After work to address issues, Lynnwood gets clean audit

The city has benefited from increased revenues from sales tax.

Bolshevik replaces BS in Eyman’s voters pamphlet statement

The initiative promoter also lost a bid to include a hyperlink to online coverage of the battle.

Man with shotgun confronts man on toilet about missing phone

Police say the victim was doing his business when the suspect barged in and threatened him.

Detectives seek suspect in woman’s homicide

Alisha Michelle Canales-McGuire was shot to death Wednesday at a home south of Paine Field.

Car crashes near Everett after State Patrol pursuit

The driver and a second person in the car suffered injuries.

Smith Island habitat restoration cost to rise $1.2 million

The project is intended to increase survival rates for juvenile chinook salmon.

Jim Mathis, the Vietnam veteran whose Marysville garden was recently featured in The Herald, died Wednesday. Mathis, who suffered from PTSD and cancer, found solace in his beautiful garden. (Dan Bates / The Herald)
Vietnam veteran Jim Mathis found peace in his garden

The Marysville man who served two tours died Wednesday after suffering from cancer and PTSD.

Most Read