Northwest briefly: No arrests in Seattle immigration rally

SEATTLE — First they blocked the entrance to the building that houses a federal immigration court and offices for Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Then they blocked traffic on busy downtown streets and marched for a few blocks.

But Seattle police did not arrest any of the more than 35 immigrant advocates who were expecting to be arrested Thursday in order to make a statement about immigration reform.

The rally comes nearly two weeks after two Seattle police officers were recorded on video kicking a Latino man and using a racist slur. The officer who used the racist slur publicly apologized, but minority groups here have still heavily criticized police.

Tacoma: Suicidal deputy blamed wife, in-laws

Tacoma police said a Pierce County sheriff’s deputy who fatally shot his in-laws and then killed himself told his teenage daughter as the violence unfolded that it was all the fault of his wife and her parents.

Police also revealed Thursday that Deputy Allen Myron’s wife Sara had contacted his supervisor the night before the May 14 shootings to express her concern about his behavior. She has told Tacoma police that she had not told Pierce County sheriff’s officers about her husband’s suicide attempt last December or his other suicide threats. She told Tacoma officers she did not feel Myron was dangerous.

In conversations with sheriff’s deputies after Monty and Sue Multanen were fatally shot, Myron reportedly focused on his deteriorating marriage and his belief that his in-laws had turned his wife against him.

14-year sentence in shooting

A 16-year-old Tacoma boy convicted of shooting a man on a Pierce County Transit bus was sentenced to more than 14 years in jail. The News Tribune of Tacoma reported Jesus Miranda pleaded guilty to assault with a firearm in a deal with prosecutors who dropped an attempted murder charge.

Miranda apologized at his sentencing Wednesday in Pierce County Superior Court and said he made a bad choice in May of last year when he shot an 18-year-old man.

The victim, Nik Carez, said he suspected the shooting was a gang initiation rite.

Olympia: Homeless camps cleaned up along trail

Olympia police and parks employees cleared about 20 homeless camps from along the Woodland hiking-biking trail between Olympia and Lacey. The Olympian reported neighbors had complained about safety, garbage and drug use. Police had warned campers earlier this month to move out and most did. No one remained Wednesday in the camps were about 40 people were counted in the January homeless census.

Centralia: Drunken Amtrak passenger mugged

Things went from bad to worse after a drunken tourist was kicked off an Amtrak train in Centralia. Police say the 22-year-old befriended local transients and was beaten and robbed in an alley. KELA reported police arrested two suspects for investigation of robbery. The victim was treated at a hospital.

Olympia: Soldier arrested after Mossyrock crash

A Lewis-McChord soldier was arrested for investigation of vehicular assault after a crash near Mossyrock in Lewis County.

The Washington State Patrol says 21-year-old Matthew Scott lost control of his car Tuesday night and struck a pole.

The Olympian reported two passengers, including a 15-year-old girl were injured.

Ellensburg: Officer becoming West Richland police chief

ELLENSBURG, Wash. — Ellensburg police Sgt. Brian McElroy has been picked as the next police chief for West Richland.

Mayor Donna Noski said Wednesday McElroy’s education and leadership skills set him apart from other finalists for the job.

McElroy started his career in Ellensburg and has been with the department nearly 20 years.

In West Richland he’ll lead a department of 15 commissioned officers and three staff members.

Yakima: Body recovered from Columbia River

The body of the third drowning victim from a boating accident April 30 on the Columbia River near Wishram has finally been found.

KNDO reported the body of Anthony Wesley, 52, of White Swan was recovered Wednesday.

The bodies of two other victims were found after the sinking. A fourth person was able to swim ashore. The four members of the Yakama Nation had been fishing.

State fines dairy for runoff

YAKIMA, Wash. — Washington state has fined a Yakima Valley dairy $22,000 for over-applying liquid manure to a field and causing runoff to reach the Yakima River.

The state Department of Ecology says DeRuyter Brothers Dairy in Outlook, southeast of Yakima, violated its state and federal discharge permits and applied liquid manure to lands not specified in its nutrient management plan.

In a statement Thursday, the agency said inspectors photographed discharge from the field to a drain on March 25, 2010, after receiving a report about the discharge. The drain led to Sulphur Creek and the Yakima River. Test results from samples taken over several days showed E. coli bacteria levels in the runoff were 2,400 times greater than allowed.

The dairy has 30 days to pay the penalty or file an appeal.

Smaller, better Northwest cherry crop expected

Northwest cherry growers expect a smaller crop this year than the 2009 record but with a longer harvest period, which should extend sales.

Growers from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Utah met Wednesday in Pasco for a meeting of the 5-State Cherry Commission. They estimate the 2010 crop at about 153,000 tons. Last year’s crop was more than 195,000 tons.

President B.J. Thurlby told the Tri-City Herald this could be a better year for growers because last year’s crop came in all at once, inundating packing houses.

Growers expect larger fruit and more picking days in June will give stores plenty of Northwest cherries by the Fourth of July weekend.

Oregon: Tug regains control of barge

The Coast Guard says a barge that had been drifting loose in the ocean near the mouth of the Columbia River is back under control.

The tug Miki Hana was able to hook back up with the barge late Wednesday night about 10 miles west of Astoria.

The 330-foot barge snapped its tow cable Wednesday evening in 20-foot seas. The barge carries construction material and 400 gallons of diesel fuel.

The Coast Guard kept watch on the barge by helicopter and coordinated with response agencies in Washington and Oregon.

From Herald news services

More in Local News

Snohomish man, 63, missing from home since Monday

He left without his keys, wallet and phone, saying something about going to “the river.”

Firefighters come to the rescue and give mom new stroller

Donations to the Good Neighbor Program covered the $143.20 cost.

He drank nearly a gallon of vodka, then grabbed a cop’s gun

He got pummeled for that. Police had been trying to keep him on a gurney for an ambulance ride.

Police seek witnesses to hit-and-run

An 88-year-old woman was hurt when a Prius turned right at an intersection and struck her walker.

Man killed in collision near Highway 92 identified

Kristofor Nordgren, of Lake Stevens, was driving his Subaru when it hit atruck and a Ford Focus.

Case unresolved: The noose at an Edmonds construction site

Though two were fired over comments about it, police were unable to determine who put it there.

To get drug money, Lynnwood man says he cut 911 wires

Those wires happened to be the ones used by 911 dispatchers, but emergency services weren’t affected.

February trial set for suspect in deadly Marysville shooting

There had been questions about Wayne Alpert’s mental health.

Fatal car crash reported on Highway 92 near Lake Stevens

The 3 p.m. accident and investigation stopped traffic in both directions near Machias Road.

Most Read