Elizabeth Scott of Mukilteo didn’t appreciate Monday’s ruling allowing the public to learn the names of those who signed Referendum 71 petitions in 2009 – including hers.
Scott, a Republican who ran for the state House of Representatives last year, has said that soon after her signing became public she and her family received threats. She shared her experience in a deposition in the case in hopes of convincing U.S. District Court Judge Benjamin Settle to not disclose the identities of signers.
Today she issued a press release expressing her disappointment with Settle’s decision. In it she says:
“Extremists issued multiple death threats to me and my children due to my being publicly questioned about my personal beliefs. I am greatly concerned for both the safety and the freedom of speech of those who believe that marriage is between one man and one woman, a definition that Americans have upheld in every state that has put it on the ballot.”
The release concludes:
With the County Sheriff and the State Attorney General failing to prosecute death threats, the 138,000 R71 signers are undoubtedly wondering whom they should call for protection under the law.
Scott added with a chuckle, “I guess when the First Amendment is eliminated, we drop back to the Second.”