Friendster joins Google’s circle of profitable pals

  • Herald news services
  • Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:00pm
  • Business

Hoping to finally become profitable, online social-networking pioneer Friendster Inc. is joining the crowd of Web sites that rely on Internet search leader Google Inc. for a large piece of their advertising.

Google already has been feeding Friendster ads aimed at making a connection with the surrounding content displayed on a Web page. Under an expanded deal announced Wednesday, Friendster will soon display ads from Google based on Web search requests – a method that has proven to be one of the Internet’s biggest moneymakers.

Last year, Google pocketed a $3.1 billion profit while distributing another $3.3 billion in revenue to its thousands of online ad partners.

Friendster has been relying on Yahoo Inc. and Eurekster Inc. for ads generated from queries to Friendster’s internal Web search engine. The switch to Google is scheduled for the second quarter.

After it established social networking as a hot phenomenon in 2003, Friendster became an afterthought as young Web surfers flocked to MySpace.com and Facebook.com. In January, Friendster attracted 1.3 million U.S. visitors, compared with 61.5 million at MySpace and 19 million at Facebook, according to comScore Media Metrix.

Salvation on YouTube:

The Archdiocese of Philadelphia hopes to add salvation to the seemingly endless list of things Internet surfers can find on Google Inc.’s YouTube.

Just clicks away from videos of stupid pet tricks, the archdiocese has started posting weekly Lenten messages from Cardinal Justin Rigali on the popular video-sharing site. His first video has gotten nearly 16,000 views.

The archdiocese got the idea after having success streaming video on its Web site. Spokeswoman Donna Farrell acknowledged some early concerns about the other content that can be found on YouTube, but she said all the feedback has been positive so far.

More messages are planned for Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter.

Man bites back at spam:

Most people just grumble and hit delete, but when Gordon Dick received a spam message advertising Internet services, he fought back.

The Web marketing specialist from Edinburgh, Scotland, sued the sender, Transcom Internet Services Ltd., in small-claims court. The court ordered the company to pay $1,445 in damages and $1,190 in court costs.

“If someone was throwing stones through your window, would you just ignore it?” Dick said. “It’s anti-social behavior and they shouldn’t be doing it in the first place.”

Dick argued that Transcom had taken his e-mail address from an Internet forum without his consent, violating the European Union Data Protection Act.

Transcom director William Smith denied that the message was spam. He said Dick received the mailing last year after his address was accidentally taken from a group e-mail and added to a company database. Smith said the e-mail went to 41,000 people.

Transcom’s lawyers argued damages were unwarranted because the e-mail did not hurt Dick financially. But the court rejected the argument.

Rating the avatars:

A startup billing itself as the Better Business Bureau for virtual worlds wants to provide a rating system for avatars – players’ online representations – in “Second Life.”

RatePoint Inc. plans to release a beta version of the free downloadable program Monday. The launch comes after numerous disruptions in “Second Life,” which has struggled to get its 4.3 million users to embrace its own rating system.

In December, some “Second Life” users sabotaged a successful virtual-world landowner, sending lewd cartoons into a digital pavilion where a journalist was interviewing her. “Second Life” malcontents have bombed e-commerce stores, frozen other people’s avatars and crashed other users’ computers.

“Unfortunately there are people who do bad things on ‘Second Life,’” said Chris Bailey, CEO and co-founder of RatePoint.

RatePoint users will fill out a short online form to identify their avatars and begin rating others’. The software prevents one avatar from ranking another over and over. Rankings will appear prominently above avatars’ heads.

Couch potatoes are gonna love this:

AT&T Inc. is offering subscribers a new kind of TV control: their cell phones.

The company this week began offering its “Homezone” customers the ability to control their digital video recorders through Web-enabled phones. The interface lets cell phone users schedule or delete recordings on their set-top boxes from anywhere.

Homezone is a $10-per-month product for subscribers of the Dish Network satellite TV service. It includes a set-top box that brings content from the Internet to televisions, such as on-demand movies, plus caller ID information from the phone and photos from the home computer.

AT&T will not disclose how many subscribers Homezone has, but it has far broader reach than U-verse, the high-speed Internet service AT&T hopes will help it win back customers from cable TV rivals.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Business

Customers walk in and out of Fred Meyer along Evergreen Way on Monday, Oct. 31, 2022 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Kroger said theft a reason for Everett Fred Meyer closure. Numbers say differently.

Statistics from Everett Police Department show shoplifting cut in half from 2023 to 2024.

Funko headquarters in downtown Everett. (Sue Misao / Herald file)
FUNKO taps Netflix executive to lead company

FUNKO’s new CEO comes from Netflix

Inside El Sid, where the cocktail bar will also serve as a coffee house during the day on Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
New upscale bar El Sid opens in APEX complex

Upscale bar is latest venue to open in APEX Everett.

Mattie Hanley, wife of DARPA director Stephen Winchell, smashes a bottle to christen the USX-1 Defiant, first-of-its kind autonomous naval ship, at Everett Ship Repair on Monday, Aug. 11, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
No crew required: Christening held for autonomous ship prototype in Everett

Built in Whidbey Island, the USX-1 Defiant is part of a larger goal to bring unmanned surface vessels to the US Navy.

Cassie Smith, inventory manager, stocks shelves with vinyl figures in 2020 at the Funko store on Wetmore Avenue in Everett. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
Everett-based Funko reports $41M loss in the 2nd quarter

The pop culture collectables company reported the news during an earnings call on Thursday.

A Boeing 737 Max 10 prepares to take off in Seattle on June 18, 2021. MUST CREDIT: Bloomberg photo by Chona Kasinger.
When Boeing expects to start production of 737 MAX 10 plane in Everett

Boeing CEO says latest timeline depends on expected FAA certification of the plane in 2026.

Kongsberg Director of Government Relations Jake Tobin talks to Rep. Rick Larsen about the HUGIN Edge on Thursday, July 31, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Norwegian underwater vehicle company expands to Lynnwood

Kongsberg Discovery will start manufacturing autonomous underwater vehicles in 2026 out of its U.S. headquarters in Lynnwood.

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Snohomish in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Garbage strike over for now in Lynnwood, Edmonds and Snohomish

Union leaders say strike could return if “fair” negotiations do not happen.

Richard Wong, center, the 777-X wing engineering senior manager, cheers as the first hole is drilled in the 777-8 Freighter wing spar on Monday, July 21, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Boeing starts production of first 777X Freighter

The drilling of a hole in Everett starts a new chapter at Boeing.

Isaac Peterson, owner of the Reptile Zoo, outside of his business on Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2025 in Monroe, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
The Reptile Zoo, Monroe’s roadside zoo, slated to close

The Reptile Zoo has been a unique Snohomish County tourist attraction for nearly 30 years.

Downtown Edmonds is a dining destination, boasting fresh seafood, Caribbean-inspired sandwiches, artisan bread and more. (Taylor Goebel / The Herald)
Edmonds commission studying parking fees and business tax proposals

Both ideas are under consideration as possible revenue solutions to address a $13M budget shortfall.

Ben Paul walks through QFC with Nala on Saturday, July 14, 2018 in Everett, Wa. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
QFC to close Mill Creek location, part a plan to close similar stores across the nation

A state layoff and closure notice says 76 employees will lose their jobs as a result of the closure.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.