Goodrich trims back layoffs in Everett

  • Thursday, October 25, 2001 9:00pm
  • Business

Herald Staff and Associated Press

Goodrich Corp. won’t be laying off as many Everett workers as anticipated, a spokeswoman said Thursday.

The news came as Goodrich announced plans to close 16 plants and cut 2,400 workers nationwide — about 10 percent of its workforce — even though it posted a third-quarter profit increase.

Goodrich announced Sept. 24 that it planned to cut 400 to 450 workers here, nearly a quarter of its Everett operation.

The company attributed the decision to airline industry cutbacks following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Airlines were parking planes at desert airports, which meant they no longer were sending those planes in for maintenance and inspections at Goodrich’s Everett hangars.

Since then, "customer demand has changed for the good," said spokeswoman Sherry Bergstrom.

Goodrich has already released 240 workers and expects "a handful more will be let go," Bergstrom said Thursday. "But we will not get near the 400 mark."

Goodrich said the companywide cuts it announced Thursday are expected to generate $125 million in annual savings. Goodrich also projects its 2002 earnings to be off by 10 percent compared to this year.

Goodrich said it earned $88 million, or 83 cents a share, in the July-September period, compared with $79.9 million, or 77 cents a share, a year ago.

Excluding special items, Goodrich said its earned $89.1 million, or 84 cents a share, in the quarter. That beat forecasts of 80 cents a share by Wall Street analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial/First Call.

Revenue for the quarter rose to $1.05 billion from $932.4 million a year ago.

"Our aerospace business achieved higher results despite the increasing effect of a slowing economy on the commercial aviation market and the initial repercussions of the September terrorist attacks," David Burner, chairman and chief executive, said in a statement.

The attacks will reduce demand for some of Goodrich’s products and services as air travel declines and airline fleets contract, he said. An anticipated increase in demand for military, space and industrial gas turbine products will partially offset the reductions in the commercial aviation market, he said.

Goodrich expects to eliminate 2,400 aerospace and corporate positions and consolidate various aerospace operations, resulting in the closing of 16 facilities. Most of the cuts will occur in the first half of 2002, he said. The statement did not specify which plants will be closed.

Goodrich employs about 23,000 people in 180 facilities across 20 countries.

The company said it would take special charges of between $110 million to $130 million, with most to be taken in the fourth quarter.

The charges do not reflect any implications from Boeing Co.’s current evaluation of the 717 aircraft program, Goodrich said. If the program is curtailed or canceled, Goodrich would have to take a charge for a portion of its investment in engineering and inventory related to the aircraft.

For the first nine months of the year, Goodrich earned $343.6 million, or $3.24 a share, up from $247.7 million, or $2.31 a share, a year ago. Revenue for the nine months rose to $3.13 billion from $2.74 billion a year earlier.

Goodrich said revenue is expected to decline 5 percent to 10 percent in 2002, while earnings per share from continuing operations are expected to decline about 10 percent from the $2.65 to $2.75 per share expected in 2001. That would put earnings in the $2.39 to $2.48 a share range for 2002.

Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial/First Call were expecting earnings of about $2.58 a share in 2002.

Goodrich shares were up 2 cents a share at $20.68 in morning trading Thursday on the New York Stock Exchange. Since Sept. 11, Goodrich shares have suffered along with other U.S. companies that operate in the commercial aerospace industry.

Copyright ©2001 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Business

Sound Sports Performance & Training owner Frederick Brooks inside his current location on Oct. 30, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Lynnwood gym moves to the ground floor of Triton Court

Expansion doubles the space of Sound Sports and Training as owner Frederick Brooks looks to train more trainers.

Lily Lamoureux stacks Weebly Funko toys in preparation for Funko Friday at Funko Field in Everett on July 12, 2019.  Kevin Clark / The Herald)
Everett-based Funko: ‘Serious doubt’ it can continue without new owner or funding

The company made the statements during required filings to the SEC. Even so, its new CEO outlined his plan for a turnaround.

A runner jogs past construction in the Port of Everett’s Millwright District on Tuesday, July 15, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Port of Everett finalizes ‘conservative’ 2026 budget

Officials point to fallout from tariffs as a factor in budget decisions.

The Verdant Health Commission holds a meeting on Oct. 22, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Verdant Health Commission to increase funding

Community Health organizations and food banks are funded by Swedish hospital rent.

The entrance to EvergreenHealth Monroe on Monday, April 1, 2019 in Monroe, Wash. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
EvergreenHealth Monroe buys medical office building

The purchase is the first part of a hospital expansion.

The new T&T Supermarket set to open in November on Oct. 20, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
TT Supermarket sets Nov. 13 opening date in Lynnwood

The new store will be only the second in the U.S. for the Canadian-based supermarket and Asian grocery.

Judi Ramsey, owner of Artisans, inside her business on Sept. 22, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Artisans PNW allows public to buy works of 100 artists

Combo coffee, art gallery, bookshop aims to build business in Everett.

The Port of Everett’s new Director of Seaport Operations Tim Ryker on Oct. 14, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Port of Everett names new chief of seaport operations

Tim Ryker replaced longtime Chief Operating Officer Carl Wollebek, who retired.

The Lynnwood City Council listens to a presentation on the development plan for the Lynnwood Event Center during a city council meeting on Oct. 13, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Lynnwood City Council approves development of ‘The District’

The initial vision calls for a downtown hub offering a mix of retail, events, restaurants and residential options.

Everly Finch, 7, looks inside an enclosure at the Reptile Zoo on Aug. 19, 2025 in Monroe, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Monroe’s Reptile Zoo to stay open

Roadside zoo owner reverses decision to close after attendance surge.

Trade group bus tour makes two stops in Everett

The tour aimed to highlight the contributions of Washington manufacturers.

Downtown Everett lumberyard closes after 75 years

Downtown Everett lumber yard to close after 75 years.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.