Men carry containers of black-market gasoline, recently brought illegally across the Suchiate River on rafts, near Ciudad Hidalgo, Mexico, on Thursday. President Donald Trump has pledged to impose 5% tariffs on Mexican products unless Mexico country prevents Central American migrants from traveling through its territory. (AP Photo/Marco Ugarte)

Men carry containers of black-market gasoline, recently brought illegally across the Suchiate River on rafts, near Ciudad Hidalgo, Mexico, on Thursday. President Donald Trump has pledged to impose 5% tariffs on Mexican products unless Mexico country prevents Central American migrants from traveling through its territory. (AP Photo/Marco Ugarte)

Trump now says ‘good chance’ on tariff deal

Mexico agreed to deploy 6,000 troops to its border with Guatemala to control the flow of migrants.

  • By JILL COLVIN, MATTHEW LEE and LUIS ALONSO LUGO Associated Press
  • Friday, June 7, 2019 3:00pm
  • BusinessNation-World

By Jill Colvin, Matthew Lee and Luis Alonso Lugo / Associated Press

WASHINGTON — After a week of threats, President Donald Trump declared Friday that “there is a good chance” the U.S. will strike a deal with Mexico to avert the tariffs he’s scheduled to take effect Monday to force the U.S. ally to stem the flow of Central American migrants into the United States.

Trump tweeted his more optimistic view from Air Force One as he flew home from Europe. “If we are unable to make the deal, Mexico will begin paying Tariffs at the 5% level on Monday!”

The tweet marked a change in tone from earlier Friday, when his spokeswoman Sarah Sanders told reporters in Ireland before Trump took off: “Our position has not changed. The tariffs are going forward as of Monday.”

U.S. and Mexican officials held a third day of talks at the U.S. State Department trying to hash out a deal that would satisfy Trump’s demand that Mexico dramatically increase its efforts to crack down on migrants. Sanders said the two sides had “made a lot of progress” but not enough.

The talks were said to be focused, in part, on attempting to reach a compromise on changes that would make it harder for migrants who pass through Mexico from other countries to claim asylum in the U.S., those monitoring the situation said. Mexico has opposed such a change but appeared open to considering a potential compromise that could include exceptions or waivers for different types of cases.

The initial 5% tax on all Mexican goods, which would increase every month up to 25%, could ultimately have enormous economic implications for both countries. Americans bought $378 billion worth of Mexican imports last year, led by cars and auto parts. Many members of Trump’s Republican Party and business allies have urged him to reconsider — or at least postpone actually implementing the tariffs as talks continue — citing the potential harm to American consumers and manufacturers.

Trump has nonetheless embraced tariffs as a political tool he can use to force countries to comply with his demands — in this case on his signature issue of immigration.

Trump appeared poised to invoke an emergency declaration that would allow him to put the tariffs into effect if that is his final decision, according to people monitoring the talks.

“If negotiations continue to go well,” Trump “can turn that off at some point over the weekend,” Marc Short, Vice President Mike Pence’s chief of staff, told reporters.

During the first round of talks Wednesday, the gulf between the countries was clear. Mexico offered small and so far undisclosed concessions; the U.S. demanded major action. The U.S. once again pressed Mexico to step up enforcement on its southern border and to enter into a “safe third country agreement” that would make it difficult for those who enter Mexico from other countries to claim asylum in the U.S.

Trump officials have said Mexico can prevent the tariffs by securing its southern border with Guatemala, cracking down on criminal smuggling organizations and overhauling its asylum system. But the U.S. has not proposed concrete benchmarks to assess whether Mexico is complying, and it is unclear whether even those steps would be enough to satisfy Trump on illegal immigration, an issue he sees as crucial to his 2020 re-election campaign.

In Mexico, President Andrés Manuel López Obrador would not say whether he would accept his country agreeing to be a “safe third country.”

“That is being looked at,” he said Friday morning during his daily news conference, where he held out hope a deal could be reached before Monday’s deadline.

In addition, Mexican Foreign Secretary Marcelo Ebrard said Thursday his country had agreed to deploy 6,000 National Guard troops to its border with Guatemala to help control the flow of migrants as part of its concessions.

Beyond Trump and several White House advisers, few in his administration believe the tariffs are a good idea, according to officials familiar with internal deliberations. Those people worry about the negative economic consequences for Americans and believe the tariffs — which would likely spark retaliatory taxes on U.S. exports — would also hurt the administration politically.

Republicans in Congress have warned the White House that they are ready to stand up to the president to try to block his tariffs, which they worry would spike costs to U.S. consumers, harm the economy and imperil a major pending U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade deal.

Associated Press writers Zeke Miller, Paul Wiseman, Lisa Mascaro, Darlene Superville and Padmananda Rama in Washington and Jonathan Lemire in Shannon, Ireland contributed to this report.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Business

A chocochurro ice cream taco offered as a part of the taco omakase chef tasting at Bar Dojo on Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2026 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Bar Dojo helped build the Edmonds restaurant scene

It first opened in late 2012 when the restaurant scene in Edmonds was underdeveloped.

Whiskey Prime Steakhouse’s 18-ounce Chairman steak with garlic confit, 12-year aged balsamic vinegar and bourbon-soaked oak at the Angel of the Winds Casino Resort on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Arlington, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
This casino offers an off-the-menu, dry-aged delicacy

Whiskey Prime, the steakhouse inside Angel of the Winds Casino Resort in Arlington, can’t keep up with customer demand for its special steaks.

The Boeing Aerospace Adventure flight simulators at the Boeing Future of Flight on Thursday, Jan. 15, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Boeing expands hours for Future of Flight and factory tour

Aerospace giant hopes to draw more tourists with move from five to seven days a week.

Vincent Nattress, the owner of Orchard Kitchen, at his adjacent farm on Monday, Jan. 26, 2026 in Langley, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Island County chef takes a break from the kitchen to write

Chef Vincent Nattress has closed Orchard Kitchen while he works on two books.

Kentucky Fried Chicken along Broadway on Friday, Jan. 16, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Few vacant retail spaces in Snohomish County

A lack of new construction and limited supply are cited as key reasons.

Cashless Amazon Go convenience store closes on Sunday in Mill Creek

The Mill Creek location is one of 16 to be shut down by Amazon.

The Naval Station Everett Base on Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Rebooted committee will advocate for Naval Station Everett

The committee comes after the cancellation of Navy frigates that were to be based in Everett.

Snohomish County unemployment reaches 5.1%

It’s the highest level in more than three years.

Tommy’s Express Car Wash owners Clayton Wall, left, and Phuong Truong, right, outside of their car wash on Friday, Jan. 16, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Clayton Wall brings a Tommy’s Express Car Wash to Everett

The Everett location is the first in Washington state for the Michigan-based car wash franchise.

Making our online community our own

Fitch Pitney created South Whidbey Online, a social purpose corporation.

A view of the Orchard Kitchen and farm. (Photo courtesy of Orchard Kitchen)
Island County chef takes a break from the kitchen to write

Chef Vincent Nattress has closed Orchard Kitchen while he works on two books.

The livery on a Boeing plane. (Christopher Pike / Bloomberg)
Boeing begins hiring for new 737 variant production line at Everett factory

The 737 MAX 10 still needs to be certificated by the FAA.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.