Yahoo! completes deal for Hotjobs

  • Thursday, December 27, 2001 9:00pm
  • Business

Associated Press

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Yahoo! Inc. agreed to take over Internet career site HotJobs.com for $436 million Thursday after the owner of rival Monster.com decided not to sweeten its 6-month-old offer for HotJobs.

Yahoo had made an unsolicited bid for HotJobs two weeks ago in hopes of wresting the No. 2 help-wanted site away from No. 1 Monster, which is owned by TMP Worldwide Inc. of New York.

Analysts had expected a bidding war between TMP and Yahoo, but TMP said Thursday it would not raise its bid.

"We look forward to competing with HotJobs in this dynamic and growing marketplace," TMP’s chairman and chief executive, Andrew McKelvey, said.

HotJobs CEO Dimitri Boylan predicted the alliance with Yahoo will help realize his goal of toppling Monster.com in the $1 billion market for online job postings. "This is going to be a very powerful combination," he said.

With revenue expected to be down 37 percent this year, Yahoo is hunting for new ways of making money beyond advertising. HotJobs charges employers and recruiters to post job openings and to get access to its database of resumes.

HotJobs’ database of 5 million resumes trails Monster.com’s 14 million, and HotJobs lost $21.2 million in the first nine months of the year.

But Yahoo believes HotJobs is in good position to take advantage of the expected surge in online job postings and recruitment as the economy recovers. Analysts expect HotJobs’ revenue to rise 12 percent next year.

Separately Thursday, San Antonio-based SBC Communications Inc., the parent of Pacific Bell and other regional telephone companies, bought a 3 percent stake in Yahoo from its largest shareholder, Softbank America Inc.

SBC and Yahoo agreed last month to jointly sell high-speed Internet access over digital subscriber lines beginning next year.

The exact value of the deal was not disclosed, but at Thursday’s close of $17.77, 3 percent of Yahoo would be worth $304 million.

Copyright ©2001 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Business

Customers walk in and out of Fred Meyer along Evergreen Way on Monday, Oct. 31, 2022 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Kroger said theft a reason for Everett Fred Meyer closure. Numbers say differently.

Statistics from Everett Police Department show shoplifting cut in half from 2023 to 2024.

Funko headquarters in downtown Everett. (Sue Misao / Herald file)
FUNKO taps Netflix executive to lead company

FUNKO’s new CEO comes from Netflix

Inside El Sid, where the cocktail bar will also serve as a coffee house during the day on Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
New upscale bar El Sid opens in APEX complex

Upscale bar is latest venue to open in APEX Everett.

Mattie Hanley, wife of DARPA director Stephen Winchell, smashes a bottle to christen the USX-1 Defiant, first-of-its kind autonomous naval ship, at Everett Ship Repair on Monday, Aug. 11, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
No crew required: Christening held for autonomous ship prototype in Everett

Built in Whidbey Island, the USX-1 Defiant is part of a larger goal to bring unmanned surface vessels to the US Navy.

Cassie Smith, inventory manager, stocks shelves with vinyl figures in 2020 at the Funko store on Wetmore Avenue in Everett. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
Everett-based Funko reports $41M loss in the 2nd quarter

The pop culture collectables company reported the news during an earnings call on Thursday.

A Boeing 737 Max 10 prepares to take off in Seattle on June 18, 2021. MUST CREDIT: Bloomberg photo by Chona Kasinger.
When Boeing expects to start production of 737 MAX 10 plane in Everett

Boeing CEO says latest timeline depends on expected FAA certification of the plane in 2026.

Kongsberg Director of Government Relations Jake Tobin talks to Rep. Rick Larsen about the HUGIN Edge on Thursday, July 31, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Norwegian underwater vehicle company expands to Lynnwood

Kongsberg Discovery will start manufacturing autonomous underwater vehicles in 2026 out of its U.S. headquarters in Lynnwood.

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Snohomish in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Garbage strike over for now in Lynnwood, Edmonds and Snohomish

Union leaders say strike could return if “fair” negotiations do not happen.

Richard Wong, center, the 777-X wing engineering senior manager, cheers as the first hole is drilled in the 777-8 Freighter wing spar on Monday, July 21, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Boeing starts production of first 777X Freighter

The drilling of a hole in Everett starts a new chapter at Boeing.

Isaac Peterson, owner of the Reptile Zoo, outside of his business on Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2025 in Monroe, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
The Reptile Zoo, Monroe’s roadside zoo, slated to close

The Reptile Zoo has been a unique Snohomish County tourist attraction for nearly 30 years.

Downtown Edmonds is a dining destination, boasting fresh seafood, Caribbean-inspired sandwiches, artisan bread and more. (Taylor Goebel / The Herald)
Edmonds commission studying parking fees and business tax proposals

Both ideas are under consideration as possible revenue solutions to address a $13M budget shortfall.

Ben Paul walks through QFC with Nala on Saturday, July 14, 2018 in Everett, Wa. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
QFC to close Mill Creek location, part a plan to close similar stores across the nation

A state layoff and closure notice says 76 employees will lose their jobs as a result of the closure.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.