As the Oso mudslide’s one-year mark approaches, emotions run high

OSO — A year of grief.

By Sunday, families will have lived a full cycle of birthdays and holidays without the 43 people who died in Snohomish County’s worst disaster.

Those most affected by the Oso mudslide have the chance to gather Sunday at sacred ground, at a sacred time. They’re calling it a remembrance.

“Sometimes I feel like March 22, 2014 was yesterday. At other times I feel like March 22, 2014 was years ago,” said Dayn Brunner, whose sister, Summer Raffo, was killed in the slide as she drove on Highway 530. “For me, it’s a milestone. Emotions are running high with a lot of people.”

In the Stillaguamish Valley, Ground Zero is the area that used to be the Steelhead Haven neighborhood. A moment of silence is planned there at 10:37 a.m. to coincide with the exact time that Hazel Hill crumbled on the opposite bank of the river.

The event is not open to the general public. Authorities plan to close the surrounding stretch of Highway 530 for the memorial, from 9 a.m. to noon. They’re asking airplane and helicopter pilots to avoid the area out of respect for the mourners.

The observance includes an honor guard and a color guard, with a bell tolling for the lives lost.

Planning has been sensitive.

Marking the first year will hold special significance for survivors, said Karla Vermeulen, deputy director of the Institute for Disaster Mental Health at State University of New York at New Paltz.

“It’s more than symbolic. There’s something very real about that: ‘I’ve gone through an entire cycle without the person,’ ” Vermeulen said. “It’s not just the emotional loss of your spouse or your child, it’s also the personal changes in your life that this brought about.”

The ceremony will be different from ones that will come in five or 10 years. Over time, the focus often shifts from the dead to the living. Vermeulen said she observed that later anniversaries following the April 19, 1995, Oklahoma City bombing included picnics, concerts and fun runs.

While healing progresses, it’s never complete.

“There is no such thing as closure,” Vermeulen said. “People don’t spend a year in mourning and then reach some magical moment where they’ve put the loss behind them.”

Observing the first year since the disaster can be therapeutic for some. For others, it will be a difficult time when emotions come welling up.

“They often do cause an increase in distress, because it focuses on the loss,” Vermeulen said.

Not everyone will attend. That’s normal.

Survivors might prefer to spend time with family, in private. Others might opt for a vacation. Some might feel as though they’ve been grieving every day, and see no need to set aside another day.

Grief counselors advise people to make their own choices.

“Don’t feel obligated to participate in something that you don’t feel right about,” Vermeulen said. “With these collective events, there’s almost that pressure to attend the public ceremony.”

Until February, a few different groups had been making separate preparations for Sunday. Snohomish County got involved to help coordinate the varying plans. It was a complex process and not all families agreed on the best way to go about it.

“Family members are at different stages of the grieving and healing process,” County Executive John Lovick said. “We have to respect that.”

Feelings remain as raw as the mile-wide scar the mudslide left through the valley. For many survivors, so do circumstances.

As they struggle to cope with their sorrow, some are still fighting to right themselves financially, even to find permanent housing.

The county changed the program for Sunday’s remembrance several times last week, trying to balance competing desires.

One rift opened over the extent to include not just families, but emergency workers. While one faction pressed to give families more private time, a majority favored a bigger role for emergency workers.

“In everything that we did, we wanted to put together an event that gave the families the private time that they needed, which will be at the start,” Lovick said. “Some of the families also have a desire to have first responders there and to have community members there.”

Firefighters and police officers, search experts and foresters, plus legions of volunteers toiled for months in the debris field, looking for human remains. Searchers found the last of the 43 victims, Kris Regelbrugge, four months to the day after the mudslide. She was under 18 feet of dirt and debris.

Brunner helped plan Sunday’s event. To the extent possible, he hopes it provides everyone what they need.

“It’s part of my healing,” he said. “It’s part of this community’s healing.”

Noah Haglund: 425-339-3465; nhaglund@heraldnet.com. Twitter: @NWhaglund.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

More frequent service coming for Community Transit buses

As part of a regular update to its service hours, the agency will boost the frequencies of its Swift lines and other popular routes.

More than $1 million is available for housing-related programs in Snohomish County, and the Human Services Department is seeking applications. (File photo)
Applicants sought for housing programs in Snohomish County

More than $1 million is available for housing-related programs in… Continue reading

The newly rebuilt section of Index-Galena Road is pictured on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2023, near Index, Washington. (Jordan Hansen / The Herald)
Snohomish County honored nationally for Index-Galena road repair

The county Public Works department coordinated with multiple entities to repair a stretch of road near Index washed out by floods in 2006.

Birch, who was an owner surrender and now currently has an adoption pending, pauses on a walk with volunteer Cody McClellan at PAWS Lynnwood on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Pet surrenders up due to rising cost of living, shelter workers say

Compared to this time last year, dog surrenders are up 37% at the Lynnwood PAWS animal shelter.

Pedestrians cross the intersection of Evergreen Way and Airport Road on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
In Snohomish County, pedestrian fatalities continue a troublesome trend

As Everett and other cities eye new traffic safety measures, crashes involving pedestrians show little signs of decreasing.

The Mountlake Terrace City Council discusses the Flock Safety license plate camera system on Thursday, June 5, 2025 in Mountlake Terrace, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Mountlake Terrace public express ongoing ire with future Flock system

The city council explored installing a new advisory committee for stronger safety camera oversight.

Crane Aerospace & Electronics volunteer Dylan Goss helps move branches into place between poles while assembling an analog beaver dam in North Creek on Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Adopt A Stream volunteers build analog beaver dams in North Creek

The human-engineered structures will mimic natural dams in an effort to restore creek health in an increasingly urbanized area.

Ferries pass on a crossing between Mukilteo and Whidbey Island. (Andy Bronson / Herald file)
State commission approves rate hike for ferry trips

Ticket prices are set to rise about 6% over the next two years.

Isaac Peterson, owner of the Reptile Zoo, outside of his business on Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2025 in Monroe, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
The Reptile Zoo, Monroe’s roadside zoo, slated to close

The Reptile Zoo has been a unique Snohomish County tourist attraction for nearly 30 years.

A bald eagle flys over Howarth Park back to it’s perch on Friday, April 22, 2022 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Stillaguamish Tribe warns rat poison is killing eagles

Commonly used rat poisoning is showing up in dead eagles, concerning wildlife biologists of the effects of the chemicals in local food chains.

Marysville
Marysville School District budget unanimously approved

After school closures and state oversight, the school board voted one week before the start of classes.

Niko Battle (campaign photo)
Judge grants Everett intervention in Battle residency case

Filings also show officials were unable to serve council candidate Niko Battle with court documents at his listed address.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.