Deal spares girl’s killer

In the end, it was all about three sisters.

Niki Desautels / The Herald

Kristena, 16, and her mother, Gail Doll, listen as Richard Clark confesses Friday to the murder of 7-year-old Roxanne Doll.

The eldest was 12. The youngest 5.

The middle girl, 7-year-old Roxanne Doll, disappeared from her south Everett bedroom 11 years ago. Her body was found a week later. She had been raped and murdered.

Roxanne’s sisters, one now 23 and a mother, the other a well-spoken 16, said that over the years they had tortured thoughts that maybe they could have done something to have saved their sister.

Elizabeth Armstrong / The Herald

Richard Clark looks toward courtroom spectators Friday before his hearing at the Snohomish County Courthouse.

On Friday, the man who killed their sister told them otherwise.

Richard Mathew Clark, 37, stood up in a Snohomish County courtroom and said he alone was to blame for the March 31, 1995, killing.

“No other person is responsible in any way, shape or form for Roxanne’s murder,” Clark said. “No one had anything else to do with these crimes. No one could have prevented me from doing what I did. No one failed to protect Roxanne.”

Clark, who was convicted in 1997 of Roxanne’s murder, accepted responsibility for the killing under an agreement Snohomish County prosecutors reached in consultation with the girl’s family. In exchange, prosecutors agreed to drop their years-long legal battle to see Clark die.

Roxanne’s mother, Gail Doll, said she supported the agreement because her surviving children needed to know they have no reason to feel guilty.

“It is easy to tell the 23-year-old and the 16-year-old, but it is hard to tell the 12-year-old and the 5-year-old who still live in them today,” she said.

Nick Doll, 19, Roxanne’s brother, also supported the deal because it would spare his sisters from the pain of another trial.

Clark now faces life in prison without possibility of release. He waved all rights to appeal or legal challenges before being handcuffed and whisked from the courtroom. His final destination is expected to be the state penitentiary at Walla Walla.

“I’m glad it is over, and I pray to God he gets what is coming to him while he is in there, because our system wasn’t doing it quickly enough,” said Roxanne’s father, Tim Iffrig. “I’m tired of going through the pain.”

Friday’s hearing was at times emotional, and at times a reunion.

Corrections officers who provided security during Clark’s 1997 aggravated murder trial lined the walls. The lead investigator, Everett police officer Lloyd Herndon, sat in the front row. His daughter, now 18, was the same age as Roxanne at the time of her death.

The lead deputy prosecutor who won Clark’s conviction in 1997, Ron Doersch, attended Friday’s hearing dressed for his new job as a Snohomish County sheriff’s deputy. Doersch decided last year to give up courtroom battles in favor of fighting crime on the streets.

Roxanne’s death was far-reaching, he said, “like throwing a rock into a pond. It touched many lives.”

One of Clark’s attorneys, Seattle lawyer Jeff Ellis, wept when Roxanne’s father embraced him after the hearing and thanked him for getting answers.

Gail Doll also hugged Ellis, thanking him for helping her family. “We don’t have any hard feelings to you,” she said.

As part of his statement, Clark told how he had lured Roxanne out of her bedroom window after she had been put to bed for the night. He told the girl she could come play in his van with a puppy. Clark said he then drove the child to north Everett, where he raped and killed her to keep her from reporting the attack.

Prosecuting attorney Janice Ellis (no relation to Clark’s lawyer) said she was prepared to go forward with another trial, scheduled for later this month in hopes of reinstating his death sentence.

Then negotiations began regarding Clark’s willingness to answer questions about the case. He gave prosecutors a taped statement, which was shared with Roxanne’s family.

“Roxanne Doll’s family came to me and told me that Clark’s confession ended part of their nightmare,” Ellis said. “They have had many questions answered – questions that have tormented them for 11 years.”

To ask the family to continue living with this case “is unnecessary and cruel,” Ellis said. “The family came to me. They asked me to do this.”

After the hearing, prosecutors gave Roxanne’s family a bracelet the girl was wearing when she disappeared. It had been held as evidence since the child’s body was found. Gail Doll tearfully snapped it around the wrist of her youngest daughter, Kristena.

The slain girl’s mother said she was comforted to know that her surviving children won’t have to face more years of legal battles, and that “on the day that it started (11 years ago) is the day that we ended it.”

Now, Roxanne’s name will no longer be brought up in connection with what may happen to the man who killed her, Gail Doll said.

“Now the only things associated with Roxy are the good things,” she said.

Reporter Scott North: 425-339-3431 or north@heraldnet.com.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

More frequent service coming for Community Transit buses

As part of a regular update to its service hours, the agency will boost the frequencies of its Swift lines and other popular routes.

More than $1 million is available for housing-related programs in Snohomish County, and the Human Services Department is seeking applications. (File photo)
Applicants sought for housing programs in Snohomish County

More than $1 million is available for housing-related programs in… Continue reading

The newly rebuilt section of Index-Galena Road is pictured on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2023, near Index, Washington. (Jordan Hansen / The Herald)
Snohomish County honored nationally for Index-Galena road repair

The county Public Works department coordinated with multiple entities to repair a stretch of road near Index washed out by floods in 2006.

Birch, who was an owner surrender and now currently has an adoption pending, pauses on a walk with volunteer Cody McClellan at PAWS Lynnwood on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Pet surrenders up due to rising cost of living, shelter workers say

Compared to this time last year, dog surrenders are up 37% at the Lynnwood PAWS animal shelter.

Pedestrians cross the intersection of Evergreen Way and Airport Road on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
In Snohomish County, pedestrian fatalities continue a troublesome trend

As Everett and other cities eye new traffic safety measures, crashes involving pedestrians show little signs of decreasing.

The Mountlake Terrace City Council discusses the Flock Safety license plate camera system on Thursday, June 5, 2025 in Mountlake Terrace, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Mountlake Terrace public express ongoing ire with future Flock system

The city council explored installing a new advisory committee for stronger safety camera oversight.

Crane Aerospace & Electronics volunteer Dylan Goss helps move branches into place between poles while assembling an analog beaver dam in North Creek on Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Adopt A Stream volunteers build analog beaver dams in North Creek

The human-engineered structures will mimic natural dams in an effort to restore creek health in an increasingly urbanized area.

Ferries pass on a crossing between Mukilteo and Whidbey Island. (Andy Bronson / Herald file)
State commission approves rate hike for ferry trips

Ticket prices are set to rise about 6% over the next two years.

Body of BASE jumper recovered by the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office after three-day search of Mt. Baring.

On Aug. 19, deputies responded to an unresponsive man who BASE jumped from the 6,127-foot summit.

‘A hometown person’: Friends and family remember Larry Hanson

The former publisher worked at The Herald for 45 years and volunteered throughout Snohomish County for decades. He died Thursday at 87.

Isaac Peterson, owner of the Reptile Zoo, outside of his business on Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2025 in Monroe, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
The Reptile Zoo, Monroe’s roadside zoo, slated to close

The Reptile Zoo has been a unique Snohomish County tourist attraction for nearly 30 years.

A bald eagle flys over Howarth Park back to it’s perch on Friday, April 22, 2022 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Stillaguamish Tribe warns rat poison is killing eagles

Commonly used rat poisoning is showing up in dead eagles, concerning wildlife biologists of the effects of the chemicals in local food chains.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.