Everett ex-cop acquitted of perjury but is guilty of stalking

A jury also found Jared Corson, 37, guilty of official misconduct and intercepting private communication.

Jared Corson

Jared Corson

EVERETT — It took a jury about eight hours of deliberation to find a former Everett police officer guilty of three misdemeanors, for using police equipment to stalk his ex-girlfriend while also trying to get her new boyfriend arrested.

However, jurors acquitted Jared Corson of the most serious charge he faced in Snohomish County Superior Court: first-degree perjury, a felony.

He was found guilty Monday of stalking, official misconduct and intercepting private communication.

Corson, 37, of Kirkland, was charged last year with using a tracking device on the new boyfriend’s car, then lying about it in a sworn deposition when the woman applied for a protection order.

One juror, who asked to remain anonymous, said the group’s decision to acquit Corson on the perjury charge hinged on the wording of a statement the defendant made under oath: “I have never surveilled (the ex-girlfriend) … I do not follow her or (the new boyfriend),” the statement read. “I am no longer involved in any investigation of (the new boyfriend) as I turned it over to the proper jurisdiction.”

The trial lasted about a week. After the jury began deliberating Friday afternoon, they asked a question of the court: What is the exact definition of surveillance?

The court did not provide an answer, the juror said, adding he believed the verdict would have been different if jurors had been supplied a legal definition of the word.

“I had what I needed to believe he was guilty of perjury,” the juror said. “I didn’t agree with all the opinions of other jurors, and they didn’t agree with mine either.”

In essence, the juror said, some on the jury had trouble believing Corson committed perjury in saying he never “surveilled” his ex-girlfriend, because the jury wasn’t sure what, exactly, that verb meant in a legal context.

“The prosecutor didn’t make enough of a case to some jurors to prove that (Corson’s) wording was false,” the juror said.

Corson met the woman while on duty in Everett in 2017, according to charging papers. He was investigating an assault at a nearby deli and identified the woman, then 27, as a possible witness. She was working at a nearby bikini barista stand.

After the investigation ended, the two stayed in touch and began dating the following year. She did not know at the time that Corson was married, according to a civil complaint filed by the woman. The woman reportedly broke up with the defendant months later, in September 2018, telling him she was seeing someone else. Corson began tracking the woman’s whereabouts on her phone that month, according to the civil complaint.

Corson recorded the license plate number of her new boyfriend, according to charging papers, then looked him up using a database he had access to through his job. Corson also reportedly asked dispatchers to check the man for warrants and criminal history.

Things escalated. Corson attached a privately acquired tracking device to the bottom of the new boyfriend’s car, the charges say.

The defendant also tipped off a King County detective that the boyfriend had another vehicle’s license plate attached to his car, and it had apparently been “placed there as a legal basis to stop the vehicle,” according to the charges.

The ex-girlfriend filed for a temporary protection order against Corson on Dec. 30, 2019, in Snohomish County District Court. Corson wrote, under penalty of perjury, a response objecting to that order.

Deputy prosecutor Michael Boska wrote in charging papers that the defendant had, in fact, been “monitoring and surveilling” the new boyfriend via an unauthorized GPS tracking device.

In her closing argument last week, defense attorney Karen Halverson said Corson did not put his ex-girlfriend under surveillance, as charged, though he was “probably guilty of stalking” the new boyfriend.

Corson, who served five years with the Everett Police Department, was placed on leave in December 2020 amid an internal investigation. He resigned months later. He had no felony record.

Superior Court Judge Bruce Weiss is slated to sentence him on March 1.

Ellen Dennis: 425-339-3486; edennis@heraldnet.com; Twitter: @reporterellen.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Oliver Popa, 7, poses with his book, "Drippey Plants a Garden," on Tuesday, March 25, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds 7-year-old publishes children’s book featuring ‘Drippey’ the bee

Oliver Popa’s first grade teacher said he should publish a longer version of a writing assignment. A year later, his mother — a publisher — helped made it happen.

Don Sharrett talks John Wrice through his trimming technique on Friday, March 14, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett barber school offers $5 haircuts — if you’re brave enough

Students get hands-on practice. Willing clients get a sweet deal.

Employees and patrons of the Everett Mall signed a timeline mural that traces the history of the 51-year-old indoor mall that was once considered the premier place to go shopping in the city. Thursday, March 20, 2025 (Aaron Kennedy / The Herald)
Mall mural offers nostalgic trip into the past

Past and present Everett Mall employees joined customers Thursday to view an artistic timeline of the once popular shopping mecca.

Director for the Snohomish County Health Department Dennis Worsham leads a short exercise during the Edge of Amazing event on Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Snohomish County Health Department faces up to $3.4 million in cuts

The two federal grants provided funding for immunizations and disease prevention awareness efforts.

2025 Emerging Leader DeLon Lewis (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
DeLon Lewis: Helping students succeed

Program specialist for Everett Community College believes leadership is about building bridges.

Daron Johnson, who runs Snohomish County Scanner, stands next to his scanner setup on Tuesday, April 1 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Snohomish County law enforcement to encrypt police airwaves

The plan for civilian police scanners to go dark pushed a host to shut down his popular breaking news feed.

Richie Gabriel, 1, jumps off the bottom of the slide as Matthew Gabriel looks down at him from the play structure at Hummingbird Hill Park on Monday, March 31, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds residents show up for Hummingbird Hill Park, Frances Anderson Center

After a two-and-a-half hour public comment session, the council tabled its votes for the two comprehensive plan amendments.

Students Haddie Shorb, 9, left, and brother Elden Shorb, 11, right, lead the ground breaking at Jackson Elementary School on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett Public Schools breaks ground on Jackson Elementary replacement

The $54 million project will completely replace the aging elementary school. Students are set to move in by the 2026-27 school year.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Another positive measles case identified in Snohomish County

The case was identified in an infant who likely contracted measles while traveling, the county health department said.

A Tesla drives along 41st Street on Wednesday, March 26, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Washington faces uncertain future of Clean Air Act regulations

The Trump administration’s attempt to roll back numerous vehicle pollution standards has left states wondering what’s next.

A person walks through the lot at Kia of Everett shopping for a car on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
‘The tariffs made me do it’: Customers move fast on cars

At one Everett dealership, customers move fast on cars ahead of Wednesday’s expected announcement on tariffs.

Public’s help needed to find missing Arlington man

The 21-year-old left the house Sunday night without his shoes, cell phone or a jacket, and was reported missing the following morning.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.