EVERETT — Two people reportedly escaped a house fire in the Lowell neighborhood Friday morning.
The fire was reported around 5 a.m. at a two-story home on the 5100 block of South 4th Avenue. The flames appeared to start somewhere in the back of the home, near a bathroom and kitchen, and then spread up the stairs, Everett Fire Marshall Kurtis Brown said.
No one was hurt.
Brown said it’s been tricky to extinguish flames in hard to reach places. Crews were still attacking hot spots at 11 a.m., and he said it could take a couple of more hours before the scene would be safe for investigators to go inside.
“It’s causing us a little bit of grief,” he said.
The priority has been to keep personnel safe, which has slowed the process, Brown said. Because of the damage, he said, it’s no longer safe for firefighters to go up the stairs or to use ladders outside, and there is risk of the chimney collapsing. So crews have been fighting from the ground level.