Gold Bar residents oppose change in police service

By Leslie Moriarty

Herald Writer

GOLD BAR — Residents are circulating a petition around town telling the mayor and city council to keep their "hands off our heroes."

At least 344 people in the Gold Bar area have signed the petition calling for local law enforcement to remain under the direction of the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office.

The move comes in response to discussions about having Sultan police patrol Gold Bar.

Additionally, residents want a guarantee that the officers who serve Gold Bar will be kept in their positions.

"These officers have gone about their duties effectively and compassionately," resident Bev Bigelow said. "They make us feel safe, and they are such a great team."

Gold Bar turned to the sheriff’s department for police services seven years ago after problems with its own department. Former chief Steve Hunt was convicted in 1989 of dealing cocaine, and two chiefs that followed him quit or were fired. in 1994 the city council eliminated the police department.

The city now contracts with the sheriff’s office for law enforcement and pays about $260,000 a year, which buys a sergeant, who gets the title of Gold Bar chief, and two full-time deputies. Jeff Brand is the current chief.

When word got around town that a change was being considered, residents began protesting.

But Mayor Ken Foster said Tuesday that although there has been some talk of change, the city’s police services will remain under contract with the sheriff’s office.

Foster said he was approached about using Sultan police by Sultan Mayor C.H. Rowe, and he took it to the council last week. "But the council didn’t want to go any further with it," he said.

Rowe said he discussed the idea with Sultan police chief Fred Walser. Rowe said he thought the idea made sense, because Sultan police back up sheriff’s officers assigned to Gold Bar and because Sultan was faced with budget problems that included proposed reductions in the police force. Contracting with Gold Bar could be a source of revenue for the Sultan Police Department.

But Walser said he is not pursuing a service contract with any other city.

"I’ve talked with the mayor (Rowe) about that," he said. "But I’ve not been asked to submit a proposal. If they (Gold Bar) wanted us for 24-hour coverage, I’d do it. But it’s not meant as a way to keep this department afloat."

Rowe said he’s not sure that Sultan police could provide services any less expensively than the sheriff’s department, but "the county is having cutbacks, too," he said. "It’s something that we thought we should investigate."

Foster said the contract with the sheriff’s department has an option to allow the local jurisdiction to rotate officers. He said in the past three years, the city had not done so, and he thought it might be time to do so.

Residents said they will fight that and plan to present their petition to the mayor and council at Tuesday’s council meeting.

You can call Herald Writer Leslie Moriarty at 425-339-3436

or send e-mail to moriarty@heraldnet.com.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

More frequent service coming for Community Transit buses

As part of a regular update to its service hours, the agency will boost the frequencies of its Swift lines and other popular routes.

More than $1 million is available for housing-related programs in Snohomish County, and the Human Services Department is seeking applications. (File photo)
Applicants sought for housing programs in Snohomish County

More than $1 million is available for housing-related programs in… Continue reading

The newly rebuilt section of Index-Galena Road is pictured on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2023, near Index, Washington. (Jordan Hansen / The Herald)
Snohomish County honored nationally for Index-Galena road repair

The county Public Works department coordinated with multiple entities to repair a stretch of road near Index washed out by floods in 2006.

Birch, who was an owner surrender and now currently has an adoption pending, pauses on a walk with volunteer Cody McClellan at PAWS Lynnwood on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Pet surrenders up due to rising cost of living, shelter workers say

Compared to this time last year, dog surrenders are up 37% at the Lynnwood PAWS animal shelter.

Pedestrians cross the intersection of Evergreen Way and Airport Road on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
In Snohomish County, pedestrian fatalities continue a troublesome trend

As Everett and other cities eye new traffic safety measures, crashes involving pedestrians show little signs of decreasing.

The Mountlake Terrace City Council discusses the Flock Safety license plate camera system on Thursday, June 5, 2025 in Mountlake Terrace, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Mountlake Terrace public express ongoing ire with future Flock system

The city council explored installing a new advisory committee for stronger safety camera oversight.

Crane Aerospace & Electronics volunteer Dylan Goss helps move branches into place between poles while assembling an analog beaver dam in North Creek on Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Adopt A Stream volunteers build analog beaver dams in North Creek

The human-engineered structures will mimic natural dams in an effort to restore creek health in an increasingly urbanized area.

Ferries pass on a crossing between Mukilteo and Whidbey Island. (Andy Bronson / Herald file)
State commission approves rate hike for ferry trips

Ticket prices are set to rise about 6% over the next two years.

Isaac Peterson, owner of the Reptile Zoo, outside of his business on Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2025 in Monroe, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
The Reptile Zoo, Monroe’s roadside zoo, slated to close

The Reptile Zoo has been a unique Snohomish County tourist attraction for nearly 30 years.

Marysville
Marysville School District budget unanimously approved

After school closures and state oversight, the school board voted one week before the start of classes.

Niko Battle (campaign photo)
Judge grants Everett intervention in Battle residency case

Filings also show officials were unable to serve council candidate Niko Battle with court documents at his listed address.

Deputies find two dead inside Woodinville home on Wednesday

Major Crimes Unit detectives are investigating the case as a possible murder-suicide.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.