Lawsuit claims Oso mudslide was ‘man-made’

OSO — A new lawsuit filed over deaths and property destruction from last year’s catastrophic mudslide makes a startling claim.

It faults the state of Washington, Snohomish County and a private timber company for causing, “the worst man-made landslide in the history of this nation.”

Seattle attorney Karen Willie filed the suit on behalf of three families of people killed in the slide and others who lost property.

“I am certain that this is a man-made landslide — I don’t think it was an act of God,” Willie said.

The lawsuit doesn’t explain how that claim squares with the evidence geologists say exists of 15 other large slides in the valley over the past 6,000 years, occurring anywhere from 400 to 1,500 years apart. Slides on that particular stretch of hillside have been occurring at least back to the 1930s.

The March 22 disaster killed 43 people and destroyed about 40 houses in the Steelhead Haven neighborhood. The new Oso lawsuit is the third to date. Filed Jan. 21 in King County Superior Court, it seeks damages to be determined at trial.

Plaintiffs include the estates and relatives of John and Kris Regelbrugge; Lon Slauson; and Steve and Theresa Harris.

Three other sets of plaintiffs lost property: Henrietta Ottersen; Davis and Ruth Hargrave; and Irvin and Judith Wood.

The suit accuses the state Department of Natural Resources of negligence for issuing a logging permit in 2004 to Grandy Lake Forest Associates of Mount Vernon. The company’s 7.5-acre, pie-shaped clear-cut on top of the hillside played a major role in causing a 2006 slide that blocked the North Fork Stillaguamish River, the suit contends.

A DNR investigation concluded that permitting for the clear-cut was done properly, but that the company exceeded the approved size by an acre.

While there is less agreement on what caused the 2006 slide, recent scientific studies are in general agreement that it set the stage for catastrophe in 2014.

The suit accuses the state and Snohomish County of botching attempts to manage river flows through the area, including the use of a wooden crib wall at the toe of the slope. The state and county also failed to adequately investigate the 2006 slide or warn neighbors of the dangers, the suit argues.

Another prong in the lawsuit goes after the state for allowing what it describes as nuisance conditions on its property, which allowed soil and water to run onto the plaintiffs’ land.

Snohomish County was served with paperwork for the suit on Friday, chief civil deputy prosecutor Jason Cummings said. The county won’t comment on the pending litigation, but plans to put up a vigorous defense, Cummings said.

The suit draws from decades of scientific observations of 600-foot-tall Hazel hill, where the slide began.

“There were studies out there and people knew so much,” Willie said.

In 1947, a professor noted slumping blocks of soil on the hillside. A 1952 study suggested rerouting a stream called Headache Creek to improve the slope’s stability — at a cost then calculated at $5,400.

Steelhead Haven began getting built out in the 1960s, first as rudimentary fishing shacks.

A large landslide destroyed vacation cabins in the area in 1967. More studies followed.

Over time, more people began to settle the area as full-time residents.

In 1999, a now oft-cited study warned of a 900-foot runout — similar to what happened in 1967.

The damage last year — from the top of the scarp to its southernmost point — stretched 5,827 feet. That was the 10th slide to hit the same location, according to the lawsuit.

Of the two earlier suits over Oso deaths, the one representing the largest bloc of victims — 10 families — was filed in October. Like the current lawsuit, it faulted the state, the county and the same timber company.

The first lawsuit over the slide was filed in July.

Noah Haglund: 425-339-3465; nhaglund@heraldnet.com. Twitter: @NWhaglund.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

More frequent service coming for Community Transit buses

As part of a regular update to its service hours, the agency will boost the frequencies of its Swift lines and other popular routes.

More than $1 million is available for housing-related programs in Snohomish County, and the Human Services Department is seeking applications. (File photo)
Applicants sought for housing programs in Snohomish County

More than $1 million is available for housing-related programs in… Continue reading

The newly rebuilt section of Index-Galena Road is pictured on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2023, near Index, Washington. (Jordan Hansen / The Herald)
Snohomish County honored nationally for Index-Galena road repair

The county Public Works department coordinated with multiple entities to repair a stretch of road near Index washed out by floods in 2006.

Birch, who was an owner surrender and now currently has an adoption pending, pauses on a walk with volunteer Cody McClellan at PAWS Lynnwood on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Pet surrenders up due to rising cost of living, shelter workers say

Compared to this time last year, dog surrenders are up 37% at the Lynnwood PAWS animal shelter.

Pedestrians cross the intersection of Evergreen Way and Airport Road on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
In Snohomish County, pedestrian fatalities continue a troublesome trend

As Everett and other cities eye new traffic safety measures, crashes involving pedestrians show little signs of decreasing.

The Mountlake Terrace City Council discusses the Flock Safety license plate camera system on Thursday, June 5, 2025 in Mountlake Terrace, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Mountlake Terrace public express ongoing ire with future Flock system

The city council explored installing a new advisory committee for stronger safety camera oversight.

Crane Aerospace & Electronics volunteer Dylan Goss helps move branches into place between poles while assembling an analog beaver dam in North Creek on Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Adopt A Stream volunteers build analog beaver dams in North Creek

The human-engineered structures will mimic natural dams in an effort to restore creek health in an increasingly urbanized area.

Ferries pass on a crossing between Mukilteo and Whidbey Island. (Andy Bronson / Herald file)
State commission approves rate hike for ferry trips

Ticket prices are set to rise about 6% over the next two years.

Isaac Peterson, owner of the Reptile Zoo, outside of his business on Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2025 in Monroe, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
The Reptile Zoo, Monroe’s roadside zoo, slated to close

The Reptile Zoo has been a unique Snohomish County tourist attraction for nearly 30 years.

A bald eagle flys over Howarth Park back to it’s perch on Friday, April 22, 2022 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Stillaguamish Tribe warns rat poison is killing eagles

Commonly used rat poisoning is showing up in dead eagles, concerning wildlife biologists of the effects of the chemicals in local food chains.

Marysville
Marysville School District budget unanimously approved

After school closures and state oversight, the school board voted one week before the start of classes.

Niko Battle (campaign photo)
Judge grants Everett intervention in Battle residency case

Filings also show officials were unable to serve council candidate Niko Battle with court documents at his listed address.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.