Marysville teen sentenced to 10 years for shooting outside Everett school

EVERETT — A Marysville teen was sentenced to 10 years in adult prison Tuesday for shooting another young man outside a south Everett elementary school in May.

Jose Alfredo Beteran, who turns 17 in November, earlier this month pleaded guilty to first-degree assault.

Beteran shot a then- 17-year-old in the chest outside Horizon Elementary School on W. Casino Road. The victim survived. On Tuesday, the young man urged Snohomish County Superior Court Judge Ronald Castleberry to sentence his assailant long enough so he has time to think deeply on his actions and, hopefully, leave prison changed for the better.

The judge said he was impressed that the shooting victim did not seek revenge.

He also told Beteran he was fortunate.

“You were packing a gun and you came close to killing somebody,” Castleberry said.

The victim was shot while playing basketball outside the school. The gunfire sent people diving for cover. Beteran was arrested not long after, but the handgun was never recovered.

Detectives were told the violence was rooted in a long-running feud between the pair, some of it tinged by gang links on both sides.

Deputy prosecutor Julie Mohr asked for the 10-year sentence, a mid-range punishment under state sentencing guidelines.

The recommendation weighed several factors, she told the judge.

Beteran was 16 when the shooting occurred, but he has previous convictions as a juvenile for assault and stealing cars. The charge was brought in adult court because of the seriousness of the offense. Prosecutors filed it without tacking on the five-year deadly firearm enhancement. That was an option, had Beteran opted to go to trial, but he instead spared everyone the trouble.

Public defender Donald Wackerman said his client knew he’d done wrong. He asked the judge to consider ordering that Beteran serve the first year of his sentence in a lockup for juvenile offenders instead of the state Department of Corrections.

Castleberry declined. He also told Beteran that being sorry isn’t enough; the young man has to change.

The teen has just a single strike against him as a persistent offender, but unless he heads in another direction, Beteran’s lawless ways have him on a path toward a life sentence, the judge said.

“There was absolutely no justification for what you did,” he said. “There was no justification for a 16-year-old walking around with a loaded pistol.”

Scott North: 425-339-3431; north@heraldnet.com.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Gage Wolfe, left, a senior at Arlington High School and Logan Gardner, right, a senior at Marysville Pilchuck High School work with their team to construct wooden framed walls, copper plumbing, electrical circuits and a brick facade on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
High schoolers construct, compete and get career-ready

In Marysville, career technical education students showed off all they’d learned at the SkillsUSA Teamworks Competition.

The Edmonds City Council on Tuesday, Jan. 6 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds issues moratorium on development in Deer Creek aquifer

The ordinance passed unanimously Tuesday, giving the city time to complete a study on PFAS in the area.

Taylor Scott Richmond / The Herald
Getchell High School students protest ICE during their walkout demonstration on Wednesday in Marysville.
Marysville students peacefully protest ICE

Around 150 Getchell High School students walked out of school to line 67th Avenue Northeast as cars drove by on Wednesday morning.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County voters continue to approve most school levies, bonds

The Monroe School District operations levy, which was failing after initial results, was passing Thursday with 50.4% of the vote.

People fish from the pier, hold hands on the beach and steer a swamped canoe in the water as the sun sets on another day at Kayak Point on Monday, June 12, 2023, in Stanwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Kayak Point Park construction to resume

Improvements began in 2023, with phase one completed in 2024. Phase two will begin on Feb. 17.

Everett
Everett to pilot new districtwide neighborhood meetings

Neighborhoods will still hold regular meetings, but regular visits from the mayor, city council members and police chief will take place at larger districtwide events.

A truck drives west along Casino Road past a new speed camera set up near Horizon Elementary on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Crashes, speeding down near Everett traffic cameras

Data shared by the city showed that crashes have declined near its red light cameras and speeds have decreased near its speeding cameras.

Community Transit is considering buying the Goodwill Outlet on Casino Road, shown here on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Community Transit to pay $25.4M for Everett Goodwill property

The south Everett Goodwill outlet will remain open for three more years per a proposed lease agreement.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Parent support collaborative worries money will run out

If funding runs out, Homeward House won’t be able to support parents facing drug use disorders and poverty.

Carlos Cerrato, owner of Taqueria El Coyote, outside of his food truck on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lynnwood. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett proposes law to help close unpermitted food carts

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to operate food stands without a permit, in an attempt to curb the spread of the stands officials say can be dangerous.

Clothing Optional performs at the Fisherman’s Village Music Festival on Thursday, May 15 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Everett music festival to end after 12 years

The Everett Music Initiative is ending the Fisherman’s Village Music Festival, the nonprofit’s flagship event that was first held in 2014.

Arlington Mayor Don Vanney tours the city’s Volunteers of America Western Washington food distribution center. (Provided photo)
Arlington food center receives 32,000-pound donation

The gift will be distributed to food banks across Snohomish County, providing more than 26,000 meals.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.