The Mukilteo Lighthouse, built in 1906. The Mukilteo City Council on Monday approved a new biennial budget Monday. (Olivia Vanni / Herald file)

The Mukilteo Lighthouse, built in 1906. The Mukilteo City Council on Monday approved a new biennial budget Monday. (Olivia Vanni / Herald file)

Mukilteo council passes budget with deficit, hopes for new revenue

Proponents said safeguards were in place to make future changes. Detractors called it “irresponsible.”

MUKILTEO — The Mukilteo City Council voted 5-2 to approve a new biennial budget Monday that is set to leave the city with a $3.4 million general fund deficit by 2026.

The council majority hopes future revenue, including the sale of Hawthorne Hall, the annexation of additional properties and a new automated traffic camera system, will help cover the gap by the time 2026 arrives. If the money doesn’t come, the council could amend the budget to meet a city requirement to keep at least two months of operating expenses — equivalent to 16.7% of the general fund — in reserves.

In 2026, the city would need approximately $3.6 million in reserves to meet that requirement. At the moment, without the possible new revenue factored in, Mukilteo is expected to have only $1 million in reserves by the end of 2026, about $2.6 million short.

As it stands, the $19 million general fund will operate with a $700,000 deficit in 2025. The city’s overall budget for the year, which includes emergency medical services, street funds and capital projects, totals $44 million.

“I hope that things work out next year, but I’m very concerned about basically betting the future of the city’s solvency on unproven programs,” council member Mike Dixon said at the meeting.

The council’s estimates for 2026 including potential new revenue look more optimistic. The council projected the city will earn approximately $300,000 from taxes on annexed properties east of Mukilteo Speedway. Mayor Joe Marine previously said in an email that could take place by early next year. The new traffic camera program could raise about $2.5 million in fines.

Those new revenue streams would leave the city with a $600,000 surplus in 2025 and a $500,000 deficit in 2026, the council estimated.

The City Council approved the budget Monday after more than a month of deliberations. The two detractors, council members Dixon and Steve Schmalz, have been outspoken against the proposed budget since Marine first announced his plans in October. At that time, the budget was set to have a $2.6 million deficit in 2026.

On Monday, both called the approved budget “irresponsible.”

“When I saw this document come from the mayor, I said it’s the most irresponsible document that I’ve ever seen the city produce, and it is,” Schmalz said. “With millions of dollars in deficits, ending fund balances below what we’ve ever seen before, and instead of the council actually taking an approach to check it or save this budget from going over the cliff, they’ve actually made it worse by adding more deficits.”

Those in support argued a resolution passed alongside the budget included protections. The resolution said the council can amend the budget if new revenue doesn’t arise to meet the minimum reserve policy.

“I think it’s very important that we keep an eye on revenues as they come in, because the ending fund balances as shown in 2026, they’re not OK,” said council Vice President Tom Jordal. “What we think is, there’s going to be new revenue that will make it OK.”

“The revenue is speculative, we don’t know,” Schmalz countered later in the meeting. “Cameras? What if no one speeds, right? Then where are we at?”

As part of a number of changes made from the mayor’s preliminary budget, the council is set to give $300,000 each toward its facilities maintenance and equipment replacement funds, which were originally set to have no contributions over the two-year period. The council and city staff found about $300,000 per year in savings, as well, by reducing professional services funding for some departments, eliminating out-of-state travel and decreasing costs for its waterfront parking operation.

“I do think that at least some of the things we adopted are in line with being responsible with the money that we have, in light of the reality that we are going to realize more [revenue] in the future,” City Council President Louis Harris said.

Will Geschke: 425-339-3443; william.geschke@heraldnet.com; X: @willgeschke.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Gage Wolfe, left, a senior at Arlington High School and Logan Gardner, right, a senior at Marysville Pilchuck High School work with their team to construct wooden framed walls, copper plumbing, electrical circuits and a brick facade on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
High schoolers construct, compete and get career-ready

In Marysville, career technical education students showed off all they’d learned at the SkillsUSA Teamworks Competition.

The Edmonds City Council on Tuesday, Jan. 6 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds issues moratorium on development in Deer Creek aquifer

The ordinance passed unanimously Tuesday, giving the city time to complete a study on PFAS in the area.

Taylor Scott Richmond / The Herald
Getchell High School students protest ICE during their walkout demonstration on Wednesday in Marysville.
Marysville students peacefully protest ICE

Around 150 Getchell High School students walked out of school to line 67th Avenue Northeast as cars drove by on Wednesday morning.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Snohomish County voters continue to approve most school levies, bonds

The Monroe School District operations levy, which was failing after initial results, was passing Thursday with 50.4% of the vote.

People fish from the pier, hold hands on the beach and steer a swamped canoe in the water as the sun sets on another day at Kayak Point on Monday, June 12, 2023, in Stanwood, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Kayak Point Park construction to resume

Improvements began in 2023, with phase one completed in 2024. Phase two will begin on Feb. 17.

Everett
Everett to pilot new districtwide neighborhood meetings

Neighborhoods will still hold regular meetings, but regular visits from the mayor, city council members and police chief will take place at larger districtwide events.

A truck drives west along Casino Road past a new speed camera set up near Horizon Elementary on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Crashes, speeding down near Everett traffic cameras

Data shared by the city showed that crashes have declined near its red light cameras and speeds have decreased near its speeding cameras.

Community Transit is considering buying the Goodwill Outlet on Casino Road, shown here on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Community Transit to pay $25.4M for Everett Goodwill property

The south Everett Goodwill outlet will remain open for three more years per a proposed lease agreement.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Parent support collaborative worries money will run out

If funding runs out, Homeward House won’t be able to support parents facing drug use disorders and poverty.

Carlos Cerrato, owner of Taqueria El Coyote, outside of his food truck on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Lynnwood. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett proposes law to help close unpermitted food carts

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to operate food stands without a permit, in an attempt to curb the spread of the stands officials say can be dangerous.

Arlington
Man convicted of manslaughter after stabbing death of his friend on a camping trip

The third trial for Alexander Vanags, of Arlington, came to a close Thursday after five weeks in Whatcom County Superior Court.

Logo for news use featuring the municipality of Arlington in Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Police arrest man, 23, after he allegedly assaulted a man, 42, with a knife

Friday morning, police responded to a confrontation in the Pilot Travel Center’s parking lot in Arlington that resulted in an assault.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.