Searchers anticipate rain this weekend

Update, 10 a.m., April 4: Officials dropped the list of missing to 15 on Friday morning.

———————————-

OSO — As two more names were added to the list of Oso mudslide victims Thursday, crews in the debris fields worked against the clock carving new drainage channels before rain returns to the Cascade foothills.

“We could get up to 3 inches over the weekend,” said Richard Burke, a Bellevue Fire Department lieutenant and spokesman for the search efforts. “We have to dig these ditches to get the water out.”

Early on, search efforts were hampered by heavy rain that created muddy swamps. In recent drier days, workers have been searching for the missing and creating ways to funnel water away.

Reinforcements in the form of an 80-member search team are expected to join the recovery effort today, along with 20 more dogs trained to find victims, officials said.

Officials Thursday revised the list of named people confirmed dead in the March 22 mudslide. New to the list are Jovon E. Mangual, 13, who was a member of the Spillers family that resided on Steelhead Drive, and Gloria J. Halstead, 67.

As of Thursday evening, the list of identified victims had 27 names.

The list of missing people was raised to 17 from 13 the day before. One person listed as missing is a John Doe said to be 50 to 60 years old. A county spokeswoman said it is a person who frequents the area but whose name and residence are unknown.

Fresh search-and-rescue crews were brought in from California on Thursday.

“We’re going to pull this community back together, and we’re going to be there for a while,” Burke said.

Snohomish County has been a resilient community, and that will continue to be the case, said John Pennington, the county director of emergency management.

“We will bounce back,” he said.

Reporters on Thursday were given a ground-level tour along the south and west periphery of the slide.

Amid the stumps and mammoth mounds of clay and dirt, the rubble revealed remnants of a lost neighborhood.

There were sections of roof and siding, a battered boat, a crushed car, a soccer ball, Christmas lights and a water-logged book by Stephen King. Atop a mangled Kubota tractor, someone had placed a muddied and tattered teddy bear.

“Even the geologists, they just shake their heads,” Burke said. “They have never seen anything like this.”

People who have been in the debris field searching for survivors describe a desolate scene unlike any other emergency they’ve faced.

Some have described an adrenaline rush to find people.

But when they find someone, it doesn’t feel like success. It is only sad.

“It’s a little overwhelming,” said Jack Coats, an assistant fire chief with Benton County Fire District 1 as he watched over a search team digging 10 feet deep on the southern fringe of the mudslide debris field.

Federal Emergency Management Agency officials earlier this week told reporters that each area of the debris field must be searched four times. The first and second searches were completed for about 90 percent of the debris field by Wednesday evening.

Crews also are finding pictures, mementos, firearms and computers in the debris field, officials said. Those items are being decontaminated and organized so they can be returned to families. Those victim families also continue to join rescuers in the field.

Everyone, it seems, has tried to pitch in any way they can.

Tayler Drayton stood with a bucket of white paint along Highway 530 Thursday afternoon. She painted messages of encouragement — “We R Oso,” “Oso strong” and “530 pride” — on a school bus stop shelter.

The junior at Weston High School in Arlington wanted emergency crews to know their work is appreciated.

“Maybe after a long hard day, they can look at this and smile,” said her mother, Shannan McMahon. McMahon is a Darrington school bus driver who drove the high school baseball team to Tacoma shortly before the slide.

Tayler, 16, said she’s glad she has had the chance to grow up in Oso because it is a rural and friendly place.

“It’s pretty peaceful out here,” she said. “I wouldn’t have it any other way. We are like a big family. We really are.”

Leaders of two major federal agencies are expected to see the community’s resilience for themselves over the weekend.

On Sunday, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson and Federal Emergency Management Agency administrator Craig Fugate are scheduled to survey the damage and meet with the victims of the slide and families. They also will hear from federal, state and local officials and emergency workers involved in the ongoing response and recovery.

Their visit follows President Barack Obama’s decision Wednesday to approve a major disaster declaration to help in recovery efforts in areas affected by the mudslide and flooding.

Eric Stevick: 425-339-3446; stevick@heraldnet.com.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

More frequent service coming for Community Transit buses

As part of a regular update to its service hours, the agency will boost the frequencies of its Swift lines and other popular routes.

More than $1 million is available for housing-related programs in Snohomish County, and the Human Services Department is seeking applications. (File photo)
Applicants sought for housing programs in Snohomish County

More than $1 million is available for housing-related programs in… Continue reading

The newly rebuilt section of Index-Galena Road is pictured on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2023, near Index, Washington. (Jordan Hansen / The Herald)
Snohomish County honored nationally for Index-Galena road repair

The county Public Works department coordinated with multiple entities to repair a stretch of road near Index washed out by floods in 2006.

Birch, who was an owner surrender and now currently has an adoption pending, pauses on a walk with volunteer Cody McClellan at PAWS Lynnwood on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Pet surrenders up due to rising cost of living, shelter workers say

Compared to this time last year, dog surrenders are up 37% at the Lynnwood PAWS animal shelter.

Pedestrians cross the intersection of Evergreen Way and Airport Road on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
In Snohomish County, pedestrian fatalities continue a troublesome trend

As Everett and other cities eye new traffic safety measures, crashes involving pedestrians show little signs of decreasing.

The Mountlake Terrace City Council discusses the Flock Safety license plate camera system on Thursday, June 5, 2025 in Mountlake Terrace, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Mountlake Terrace public express ongoing ire with future Flock system

The city council explored installing a new advisory committee for stronger safety camera oversight.

Crane Aerospace & Electronics volunteer Dylan Goss helps move branches into place between poles while assembling an analog beaver dam in North Creek on Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Adopt A Stream volunteers build analog beaver dams in North Creek

The human-engineered structures will mimic natural dams in an effort to restore creek health in an increasingly urbanized area.

Ferries pass on a crossing between Mukilteo and Whidbey Island. (Andy Bronson / Herald file)
State commission approves rate hike for ferry trips

Ticket prices are set to rise about 6% over the next two years.

Isaac Peterson, owner of the Reptile Zoo, outside of his business on Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2025 in Monroe, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
The Reptile Zoo, Monroe’s roadside zoo, slated to close

The Reptile Zoo has been a unique Snohomish County tourist attraction for nearly 30 years.

A bald eagle flys over Howarth Park back to it’s perch on Friday, April 22, 2022 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Stillaguamish Tribe warns rat poison is killing eagles

Commonly used rat poisoning is showing up in dead eagles, concerning wildlife biologists of the effects of the chemicals in local food chains.

Marysville
Marysville School District budget unanimously approved

After school closures and state oversight, the school board voted one week before the start of classes.

Niko Battle (campaign photo)
Judge grants Everett intervention in Battle residency case

Filings also show officials were unable to serve council candidate Niko Battle with court documents at his listed address.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.