Some inmates to be freed

It’s almost certain now that some or all of 21 people convicted of second-degree murder in Snohomish County soon will be freed.

The state Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that a 2002 decision freeing one King County murderer applies to others in the state convicted of so-called “felony murder.”

“I strongly disagree with this decision,” said Mark Roe, Snohomish County’s chief criminal deputy prosecutor.

On the other hand, defense attorneys say the ruling is the only right thing to do, partly because the murder charge is too harsh in many cases.

One of the first who may be released is Noreen Erlandson, a nurse who was convicted in 1992 of the beating death of her adopted daughter.

She was sentenced to 40 years in prison, but David Zuckerman, her Seattle lawyer, said “at worst, it should have been tried as a manslaughter case the first time around. Noreen is clearly entitled to release in view of (this) decision.”

In 2002, the high court ruled that the King County defendant should be freed. Although a person died during an assault, the court ruled that assault could not be considered a murder, because murder was not the defendant’s original intent.

On Thursday, the court applied the same standard to scores of convicted murderers across the state, including the 21 in Snohomish County.

“The petitioners claim that they were convicted of a nonexistent crime and therefore their … sentences are invalid on their face. We agree,” the judges said in their unanimous decision.

Seth Fine, who handles appeals for the Snohomish County prosecutor’s office, said the “court made it clear this will apply to virtually any conviction under this (felony murder) theory.”

Roe was angered by the decision and said the recent election makes it appear that the justices are not being held accountable for their decisions. Earlier this month, two incumbent justices who participated in both felony murder decisions, Richard Sanders and Barbara Madsen, won re-election by wide margins.

Roe was critical of the news media for not covering the judicial races closer and telling voters about decisions such as these.

The office has already heard from the lawyers of 10 of the 21 convicted murderers, and deputies will go through the cases.

Some of them might be charged with other crimes, Roe said. Some convicted years ago may already be out of prison, or may have reasons for not wanting their convictions vacated, Roe said.

Prosecutors had been using a 25-year-old law to file second-degree murder charges in situations where people died during assaults. Defense attorneys said many of those cases should have been filed as manslaughter, which caries a lower penalty.

In 2003, the Legislature hurriedly passed a new law making it clear it intended for assault to be a basis for a murder charge, but the new law has yet to be challenged.

Fine said Thursday that the high court ignored reality and the 25 years that the old law had been used in making charging decisions. Previous courts had upheld the old law.

Meanwhile, the decision will likely open up old wounds for the families of victims.

Relatives of people who were killed have spent much of two years dreading this day, said Jenny Wieland, executive director of Everett-based Families and Friends of Violent Crime Victims.

Her office on Thursday was reaching out to survivors of homicide victims, sharing the news and offering support.

The court’s ruling will throw many people into new cycles of grief, Wieland said. Many families will be bracing for the release of convicted killers. Others will be gearing up for more legal battles.

“Trials are hard enough to go through once, but then the thought of going through it again after you have worked to rebuild your life is horrifying,” Wieland said.

Families and Friends has people standing by to help with a 24-hour crisis line and support groups. The organization can be reached toll-free at 800-346-7555.

Reporter Jim Haley: 425-339-3447 or haley@heraldnet.com.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Employees and patrons of the Everett Mall signed a timeline mural that traces the history of the 51-year-old indoor mall that was once considered the premier place to go shopping in the city. Thursday, March 20, 2025 (Aaron Kennedy / The Herald)
Mall mural offers nostalgic trip into the past

Past and present Everett Mall employees joined customers Thursday to view an artistic timeline of the once popular shopping mecca.

Edmonds Mayor Mike Rosen gives his State of the City address on Thursday, March 20 in Edmonds, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Edmonds mayor talks budget at 2025 State of the City

Mayor Mike Rosen discussed the city’s deficit and highlights from his first year in office.

Daron Johnson, who runs Snohomish County Scanner, stands next to his scanner setup on Tuesday, April 1 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Snohomish County law enforcement to encrypt police airwaves

The plan for civilian police scanners to go dark pushed a host to shut down his popular breaking news feed.

Richie Gabriel, 1, jumps off the bottom of the slide as Matthew Gabriel looks down at him from the play structure at Hummingbird Hill Park on Monday, March 31, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds residents show up for Hummingbird Hill Park, Frances Anderson Center

After a two-and-a-half hour public comment session, the council tabled its votes for the two comprehensive plan amendments.

Students Haddie Shorb, 9, left, and brother Elden Shorb, 11, right, lead the ground breaking at Jackson Elementary School on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett district breaks ground on Jackson Elementary replacement

The $54 million project will completely replace the aging elementary school. Students are set to move in by the 2026-27 school year.

Logo for news use featuring Snohomish County, Washington. 220118
Another positive measles case identified in Snohomish County

The case was identified in an infant who likely contracted measles while traveling, the county health department said.

A Tesla drives along 41st Street on Wednesday, March 26, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Washington faces uncertain future of Clean Air Act regulations

The Trump administration’s attempt to roll back numerous vehicle pollution standards has left states wondering what’s next.

A person walks through the lot at Kia of Everett shopping for a car on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
‘The tariffs made me do it’: Customers move fast on cars

At one Everett dealership, customers move fast on cars ahead of Wednesday’s expected announcement on tariffs.

Public’s help needed to find missing Arlington man

The 21-year-old left the house Sunday night without his shoes, cell phone or a jacket, and was reported missing the following morning.

Will Geschke / The Herald
The Marysville Tulalip Campus on the Tulalip Reservation, where Legacy High School is located.
Marysville board votes to keep Legacy High at current location

The move rolls back a decision the school board made in January to move the alternative high school at the start of next school year.

The former Marysville City Hall building along State Avenue on Tuesday, April 30, 2024 in Marysville, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
City of Marysville, school board amend property exchange

The city will relocate its public works facility to the district’s current headquarters, which will move to the former City Hall.

Snohomish County Elections employees Alice Salcido, left and Joseph Rzeckowski, right, pull full bins of ballots from the Snohomish County Campus ballot drop box on Monday, Nov. 4, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
County to mail ballots for Edmonds, Brier elections

Registered voters should receive their ballots by April 9 for the April 22 special election.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.