State is sued over supervision of sex offender

TACOMA — The state is being sued by relatives of a rape-murder victim who say the sex offender charged with killing the mother of three had not been properly monitored.

The case, filed Friday in Pierce County Superior Court, stems from the killing of Deborah Lee Funk, 40, at her apartment in Federal Way on April 15, 2000.

King County prosecutors charged Roy Elexie Webbe, now 33, a transient with aggravated first-degree murder in December. He has been found mentally unable to stand trial and remains at Western State Hospital.

Funk’s family previously filed a $15 million claim. The lawsuit does not specify a dollar amount.

Jack Connelly, the lawyer who filed the lawsuit, wrote in court papers that community corrections officers should have taken action when Webbe flunked three monthly drug tests and refused to undergo a court-ordered mental health evaluation.

The officers also are accused of failing to visit Webbe at his home as required to verify that he was meeting the conditions of his release from prison.

Bodies recovered on Mount Adams: Two bodies were recovered Tuesday from the 9,000-foot level of Mount Adams, and authorities believe they could be the remains of two climbers lost more than 20 years ago. The bodies were chipped out of the ice on Crescent Glacier on Tuesday afternoon, said volunteer Mark Delagasse with the search and rescue division of the Yakima County Sheriff’s Department. The initial report that a body had been found on the 12,276-foot mountain in southwest Washington came from a climber on Sunday, and was confirmed Monday by a U.S. Forest Service ranger. The remains were taken to the county morgue for identification. Two men, Matt Larson, 25, and Gary Claeys, 28, were reported missing Nov. 14, 1980, in the same area where the bodies were found.

Auditors criticize secret purchase: The city council violated state open meeting laws by voting behind closed doors on the purchase of a downtown building, the state auditor says. The city leaders bought the building housing the Rail Tavern, across the city from City Hall, for $122,409 in December 1999. City officials have expressed a desire to replace the tavern and three nearby bars with more upscale businesses. On the advice of a lawyer, municipal officials did not disclose that the city was the buyer. There was no public vote on the transaction, nor was it announced. "When the city council used the executive session to conceal the purchase of property with public funds, it denied the public the right to be informed about city operations and to have a say in them," auditors wrote in a report released Friday. Council members said the seller would have raised the price if he knew the buyer was the city. The audit does not affect the purchase, nor is the auditor empowered to assess penalties.

From Herald news services

Talk to us

More in Local News

An example of the Malicious Women Co. products (left) vs. the Malicious Mermaid's products (right). (U.S. District Court in Florida)
Judge: Cheeky candle copycat must pay Snohomish company over $800K

The owner of the Malicious Women Co. doesn’t expect to receive any money from the Malicious Mermaid, a Florida-based copycat.

A grave marker for Blaze the horse. (Photo provided)
After Darrington woman’s horse died, she didn’t know what to do

Sidney Montooth boarded her horse Blaze. When he died, she was “a wreck” — and at a loss as to what to do with his remains.

A fatal accident the afternoon of Dec. 18 near Clinton ended with one of the cars involved bursting into flames. The driver of the fully engulfed car was outside of the vehicle by the time first responders arrived at the scene. (Whidbey News-Times/Submitted photo)
Driver sentenced in 2021 crash that killed Everett couple

Danielle Cruz, formerly of Lynnwood, gets 17½ years in prison. She was impaired by drugs when she caused the crash that killed Sharon Gamble and Kenneth Weikle.

A person walks out of the Everett Clinic on Thursday, Sept. 7, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
The Everett Clinic changing name to parent company Optum in 2024

The parent company says the name change will not affect quality of care for patients in Snohomish County.

Tirhas Tesfatsion (GoFundMe) 20210727
Lynnwood settles for $1.7 million after 2021 suicide at city jail

Jail staff reportedly committed 16 safety check violations before they found Tirhas Tesfatsion, 47, unresponsive in her cell.

Lynnwood man arrested, released on $25K bond after road rage shooting

Deputies arrested the suspect, 20, for investigation of first-degree assault on Tuesday.

Mt. Baker visible from the summit of Mt. Dickerman on a late summer day in 2017. (Caleb Hutton / The Herald)
Hornets pester hikers on popular Mountain Loop trails

“You cannot out run the stings,” one hiker wrote in a trip report. The Forest Service has posted alerts at two trailheads.

Emergency responders surround an ultralight airplane that crashed Friday, Sept. 22, 2023, at the Arlington Municipal Airport in Arlington, Washington, resulting in the pilot's death. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Pilot dead in ultralight plane crash at Arlington Municipal Airport

There were no other injuries or fatalities reported, a city spokesperson said.

Patrick Russell, left, Jill Russell and their son Jackson Russell of Lake Stevens enjoy Dick’s burgers on their way home from Seattle on Friday, Sept. 22, 2023 in Edmonds, Washington. The family said the announcement of the Dick’s location in Everett “is amazing” and they will be stopping by whenever it opens in 2025. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Dick’s Drive-In announces new south Everett location

The local burger legend announced Friday it plans to open the south Everett location on Center Road in 2025.

Most Read