Who will replace Radcliff?

By SUSANNA RAY

Herald Writer

Control of the 2002 state Legislature could lie in the hands of the Snohomish County Council on Monday morning.

That’s when the Democrat-controlled council will choose from among the three Republican candidates who county party leaders picked Wednesday night to replace Rep. Renee Radcliff, R-Mukilteo. The choices include one former lawmaker attempting a surprise comeback.

Radcliff’s post-election resignation gives Democrats a second chance next year to try for complete control of state government. Last month, voters elected a Democratic governor and Democratic Senate, and the House is currently split evenly between the two parties.

The Republican appointed to Radcliff’s spot won’t be allowed to serve the full two-year term but will have to run for election next year. And Democratic opponents are already eagerly lining up.

Some Republicans worry that will give the four Democrats on the five-member county council motivation to elect a weak Republican who will be easily defeated.

But Gary Nelson, the board’s lone Republican, said the public wouldn’t put up with those tactics, and it’s not something his colleagues would do anyway.

"The county council is above that kind of game-playing," Nelson said. "We need to have as effective a representative in the Legislature as we can possibly appoint so the interests of Snohomish County are covered."

Nelson said he has personal experience with that type of strategy. In 1994, he said, 71 percent of the 21st District’s precinct committee officers voted for him as their first choice for a county council appointment. The board instead chose a weaker candidate, whom Nelson defeated in an election later that year.

That put a blemish on the appointment process, he said, but "I don’t see that happening with this county council. They’re not prone to that type of gaming activity."

Council chairwoman Barbara Cothern said Republicans shouldn’t worry about Democrats maneuvering a weak candidate into the spot.

"They’ve picked three qualified candidates," Cothern said, "so I think any of them would be strong."

And there’s incentive for the parties to work together. Snohomish County Democratic precinct committee officers will meet next month to go through the same process in choosing a replacement for Rick Larsen, the county councilman who was elected to Congress.

That means there’s a lot to be gained by the parties choosing each other’s first choice, said former longtime Snohomish County Republican chairman Paul Elvig.

But the pressure to be partisan still exists. Next year, the parties are expected to pump half a million dollars into the race, Elvig said. The latest available financial records show that a week before the election this year, candidates in the race had spent less than a quarter of that amount.

The 50 Republican precinct committee officers from the 21st District who met Wednesday night hope the county council will vote for their first choice: Mukilteo city councilman Joe Marine, 38, who is also the 21st District’s GOP chairman.

The second choice is Stan Monlux of Edmonds, 36, a software executive who lost his race last month against Rep. Mike Cooper, D-Edmonds.

And the third choice is Jeannette Wood, 68, who was a Woodway city councilwoman and mayor and also served the district in the state Legislature for 10 years before losing in 1998 to Sen. Paull Shin, D-Mukilteo.

This is the third time Wood has gone through the appointment process. In 1988, she was chosen to replace Rep. Katherine "Katie" Allen, who died. Then, in 1994, she was appointed to take Nelson’s spot in the Senate when he resigned to run for county council.

While Wood trounces the other two in terms of political experience, she said she wasn’t surprised by her third-place showing in the contest.

"They’re both young and good-looking," Wood said.

Age did appear to be an issue.

"Let’s face it, we are now looking at another generation of leadership," Elvig said.

The county’s new GOP chairwoman, Frauna Hoglund, agreed: "I think maybe they were looking for somebody younger, and Joe is young and vivacious."

Wood said she had resolved to stay out of politics after losing her re-election bid in 1998, but her phone started ringing as soon as Radcliff announced her resignation.

"If it’s meant to be, it’ll happen," she said. "If it’s not meant to be, I’ll go on a cruise in January."

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Local News

Oliver Popa, 7, poses with his book, "Drippey Plants a Garden," on Tuesday, March 25, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds 7-year-old publishes children’s book featuring ‘Drippey’ the bee

Oliver Popa’s first grade teacher said he should publish a longer version of a writing assignment. A year later, his mother — a publisher — helped made it happen.

Don Sharrett talks John Wrice through his trimming technique on Friday, March 14, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett barber school offers $5 haircuts — if you’re brave enough

Students get hands-on practice. Willing clients get a sweet deal.

Employees and patrons of the Everett Mall signed a timeline mural that traces the history of the 51-year-old indoor mall that was once considered the premier place to go shopping in the city. Thursday, March 20, 2025 (Aaron Kennedy / The Herald)
Mall mural offers nostalgic trip into the past

Past and present Everett Mall employees joined customers Thursday to view an artistic timeline of the once popular shopping mecca.

Percy Levy, who served 17 years for drug-related crimes, outside his new business Redemption Auto along Highway 99 on Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett man, arrested on drugs, weapons charges, moved to federal detention

In addition to Percy Levy, U.S. marshals transferred a second suspect in the case to federal custody.

2025 Emerging Leader Anthony Hawley (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Anthony Hawley: Creating friendships and filling pantries

Since 2021, Hawley has increased donations to Lake Stevens Community Food Bank through fundraising and building donor relationships.

Gary Petershagen
Lake Stevens council member announces reelection run

Gary Petershagen is seeking a third term on the council.

2025 Emerging Leader Megan Kemmett (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Megan Kemmett: Seeking solutions to any problem or obstacle

Executive director of Snohomish Community Food Bank overcomes obstacles to keep people fed.

Director for the Snohomish County Health Department Dennis Worsham leads a short exercise during the Edge of Amazing event on Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Snohomish County Health Department faces up to $3.4 million in cuts

The two federal grants provided funding for immunizations and disease prevention awareness efforts.

2025 Emerging Leader DeLon Lewis (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
DeLon Lewis: Helping students succeed

Program specialist for Everett Community College believes leadership is about building bridges.

Daron Johnson, who runs Snohomish County Scanner, stands next to his scanner setup on Tuesday, April 1 in Everett, Washington. (Will Geschke / The Herald)
Snohomish County law enforcement to encrypt police airwaves

The plan for civilian police scanners to go dark pushed a host to shut down his popular breaking news feed.

Richie Gabriel, 1, jumps off the bottom of the slide as Matthew Gabriel looks down at him from the play structure at Hummingbird Hill Park on Monday, March 31, 2025 in Edmonds, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Edmonds residents show up for Hummingbird Hill Park, Frances Anderson Center

After a two-and-a-half hour public comment session, the council tabled its votes for the two comprehensive plan amendments.

Students Haddie Shorb, 9, left, and brother Elden Shorb, 11, right, lead the ground breaking at Jackson Elementary School on Tuesday, April 1, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Everett Public Schools breaks ground on Jackson Elementary replacement

The $54 million project will completely replace the aging elementary school. Students are set to move in by the 2026-27 school year.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.