Benghazi questions, State Department answers

When terrorists attack Americans, Washington should always follow this simple rule: Blame the terrorists first.

Retired Adm. Mike Mullen stuck to that rule when he rolled out an independent review, led by former Ambassador Thomas Pickering, on the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. special mission in Benghazi, Libya, that led to the murder of four Americans — Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, Sean Smith, Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty. “The attacks in Benghazi were security related,” Mullen said, “and responsibility for the loss of life, the injuries and damage to U.S. facilities, rests completely and solely with the terrorists who conducted the attacks.”

Rep. Bill Johnson, R-Ohio, did not follow that rule Thursday during a House Foreign Affairs Committee hearing on the report. Johnson hectored Deputy Secretary of State William Burns, as he demanded, “Who made these decisions that got four Americans killed?” The answer is: the terrorists.

What happened that night? The review told the story of uncommon heroism in a lawless outpost, where attacks on U.S., British and medical personnel had become routine. The Libyan delegation asked for more trained U.S. security for Tripoli and Benghazi, but Department of State officials declined; Benghazi “was not a priority for Washington.”

Thus, the Benghazi mission had to rely on local militia members who were armed but also engaging in work stoppages to protest their pay and work hours. A group of unarmed locals guarded the main gate, but they weren’t reliable and previously had left the gate unlatched.

Stevens was aware of the risk, but he went to Benghazi on Sept. 10 anyway. He went to a public dinner that night but stayed on mission grounds on Sept. 11 because it was the 9/11 anniversary. After Stevens and Smith retired for the night around 9 p.m., dozens of men armed with machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades and other firepower attacked the compound with no warning. In short order, they entered the compound and set a fire that killed Stevens and Smith as the unarmed security team vanished.

Having tried to save Stevens and Smith, the five remaining diplomatic security agents reached an annex just before midnight. Around 5 a.m., a team from the embassy arrived. Fifteen minutes later, mortar rounds killed Woods and Doherty.

The Pickering-Mullen review sidestepped the political questions: What role did President Obama or Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton play?

Not my job, Pickering told reporters; his group deliberately fixed responsibility for any lapses at the assistant-secretary level. Four State Department managers reportedly have been disciplined.

What about the administration’s ridiculous claims about an anti-Islamic video inciting the Benghazi attack? Even five full days after the carnage, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice told ABC that a video protest was “hijacked, let us say, by some individual clusters of extremists who came with heavier weapons.”

If she believed that, she’s incompetent. If she didn’t believe that, she’s involved in an election-year cover-up. The report simply stated, “There was no protest prior to the attacks, which were unanticipated in their scale and intensity.”

Due to illness, Clinton didn’t show up at congressional hearings. Thus far, she has avoided answering GOP Congress members’ questions about Benghazi. (She also missed the Democrats chiding Republicans for being too partisan — as if they’re not partisan.)

Burns had the honor of answering GOP queries about the administration’s zeal to finger an American-made video rather than al Qaida-inspired brutality. “I honestly do not believe that there was an intent to mislead or misrepresent,” quoth Burns.

Well, he is a diplomat.

I know I’ll never get a straight answer on the blame-the-video spin, but I still have other questions. Why didn’t personnel have smoke hoods in their kits? Why were there full cans of fuel lying in plain sight at a mission that previously had been breached? Do Pickering and Mullen really believe, as the report says, that “‘good Samaritans’ among the hordes of bystanders and looters,” somehow found Stevens’ body in a building so smoky that the American team could not find him and brought it to a hospital?

Does the Obama administration have the grit to pursue and punish the terrorists who killed Stevens, Smith, Woods and Doherty, or do they just want this story to go away?

Debra J. Saunders is a San Francisco Chronicle columnist. Her email address is dsaunders@sfchronicle.com

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Opinion

toon
Editorial cartoons for Sunday, Aug. 31

A sketchy look at the news of the day.… Continue reading

Gov. Bob Ferguson and Rep. Rick Larsen talk during a listening session with with community leaders and families addressing the recent spending bill U.S. Congress enacted that cut Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program funding by 20% on Thursday, Aug. 21, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Editorial: Work to replace what was taken from those in need

The state and local communities will have to ensure food security after federal SNAP and other cuts.

FILE — Destroyed homes and cars in the Lower Ninth Ward after Hurricane Katrina, in New Orleans, Nov. 7, 2005. In New Orleans, low-income homeowners are at risk of losing houses built by Habitat for Humanity as more storms hit the city and property insurance prices soar. (Robert Caplin/The New York Times)
Comment: Remembering lessons from failures of Katrina

Twenty years on, as changes to disaster response are considered, here’s what must be considered.

Don’t let closed stores in South Everett sit vacant

Gentrification is not only caused by making community investments that displace people… Continue reading

Perspective, humor of Herald opinions appreciated

I especially appreciated three particular columns from the last two issues of… Continue reading

Adopt bill in Congress for Medicare’s early cancer detection

This July, I met with U.S. Rep Rick Larsen to discuss the… Continue reading

Why encourage graffiti with a ‘free wall’

Several questions arose about the subject of a Herald article (“Everett coucil… Continue reading

Comment: Reform of FEMA will help keep lights on after disaster

The Snohomish PUD backs legislation sought by Rep. Rick Larsen to strengthen FEMA’s response and aid.

Comment: Cuts by ‘Big Ugly Bill’ still loom for our communities

County officials warn that deep losses to medical care, food assistance and more will be devastating.

Robotic hand playing hopscotch on a keyboard. Artifical intelligence, text generators, ai and job issues concept. Vector illustration.
Editorial: Keep a mindful eye on government use of AI chatbots

A public media report on government use of chatbots, including by Everett, calls for sound guidelines.

Gov. Bob Ferguson responds to U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi's demands that the state end so-called sanctuary policies. (Office of Governor of Washington)
Editorial: Governor’s reasoned defiance to Bondi’s ICE demands

In the face of threats, the 10th Amendment protects a state law on law enforcement cooperation.

Russian President Vladimir Putin and President Donald Trump shake hands after a joint news conference following their meeting in Anchorage, Alaska, Aug. 15, 2025. Amid the setbacks for Ukraine from the meeting in Alaska, officials in Kyiv seized on one glimmer of hope — a U.S. proposal to include security guarantees for Ukraine in any potential peace deal with Russia. (Doug Mills/The New York Times)
Editorial: We’ll keep our mail-in ballots; thank you, Mr. Putin

Trump, at the suggestion of Russia’s president, is again going after states that use mail-in ballots.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.