Divorce statistics were inflated

I just learned about a new book written by a Harvard-trained Wall Street analyst and social researcher. She was surprised by her extensive studies that disclosed that the figures we often hear about divorce, and have always been shocking to me, were wrong! We have been told again and again that the divorce rate is about 50 percent, and that this is true even among Christians, who are such strong advocates of marriage.

Author Shaunti Feldhahn found that the divorce rate in America is not and has never been anywhere near 50 percent! She states that the rate has also been steadily declining since 1980. (Perhaps the amount of co-habitation has an affect on these figures.)

In any case, the recent research reveals that 71 percent of women are still married to their first spouse. Widowhood reduces the remaining 29 percent to an approximate divorce rate of 25 percent. Further, with the help of research by the Barna Group, deepening the study of those claiming to be Christians, the reality is that “true Christians” actually have a divorce rate of about 22 percent. Hmm! Wonder who ever came up with the 50 percent figure, and who helped that figure become “fact”?

Of course, there is no way to determine how many people try cohabitation, and then walk away from it; apparently a large number. Lastly, according to a Pew Research poll, barely half of Americans are currently married, only 51 percent of those over 18, compared with 72 percent in 1960. Many different factors here, one of them being that people who marry, are doing that much later in life than they did 50 years ago. Anyway, food for thought.

F.L. “Pat” Jacobs

Snohomish

Talk to us

More in Opinion

toon
Editorial cartoons for Thursday, June 30

A sketchy look at the news of the day.… Continue reading

Joe Kennedy, a former assistant football coach at Bremerton High School in Bremerton, Wash., poses for a photo March 9, 2022, at the school's football field. After losing his coaching job for refusing to stop kneeling in prayer with players and spectators on the field immediately after football games, Kennedy will take his arguments before the U.S. Supreme Court on Monday, April 25, 2022, saying the Bremerton School District violated his First Amendment rights by refusing to let him continue praying at midfield after games. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)
Editorial: Court majority weakens church, state separation

The Supreme Court’s 6-3 decision does more to hurt religious liberty than protect a coach’s prayer.

Supreme Court weakens wall between church, state

The Supreme Court definitely got it wrong with regards to the Bremerton… Continue reading

Snohomish tax break for developers shifts burden

City of Snohomish Planning Director Glen Pickus in his Oct. 2, 2018… Continue reading

Comment: Patriot Front arrests in Idaho a reminder of threat

The West has past experience with right-wing extremists. A van full of white men looking to riot should surprise no one.

Comment: The weight of Jan. 6 chairman’s optimistic melancholy

Rep. Bernie Thompson’s measured demeanor set a factual tone for Tuesday’s unsettling testimony.

A pregnant protester is pictured with a message on her shirt in support of abortion rights during a march, Friday, June 24, 2022, in Seattle. The U.S. Supreme Court's decision to end constitutional protections for abortion has cleared the way for states to impose bans and restrictions on abortion — and will set off a series of legal battles. (AP Photo/Stephen Brashear)
Editorial: Court’s decision a subtraction from our rights

Using a cherry-picked history, it limits the rights of women and will extend the reach of poverty.

A Capitol Police Officer rests his hand near his gun as he works by the anti-scaling fencing outside the Supreme Court, Thursday, June 23, 2022, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Editorial: Tough path for gun legislation becomes less clear

U.S. Supreme Court decision on gun laws clouds hopes for reasonable and effective safety measures.

FILES - Cars line up at a Shell gas station June 17, 2022, in Miami. President Joe Biden on June 22 will call on Congress to suspend the federal gasoline and diesel taxes for three months. It's a move meant to ease financial pressures at the pump that also reveals the political toxicity of high gas prices in an election year. (AP Photo/Marta Lavandier, File)
Editorial: Gas tax holiday could end up costing us even more

President Biden’s request to suspend gas taxes offers little benefit and considerable risk.

Most Read