Feds worry his cup runneth over

Trent Arsenault is the Barry Bonds of sperm. The 36-year-old Fremont, Calif., man boasts that he has sired 14 babies — with four more in the oven — via a free sperm-donation service that he promotes on the Internet. Women contact him when they are ovulating. “It only takes me 15 minutes to do my part,” he explained to Chronicle reporter Erin Allday. “They’ll send me a text message, and by the time they get to my house, it’s hot off the press” — in a sterile cup.

Arsenault has been so successful that, like Bonds, he has attracted the scrutiny of the federal government. Last year, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration told Arsenault he must cease “manufacturing” sperm, as his establishment was not in compliance with regulations that require tests for communicable diseases every time a man donates sperm. If the FDA successfully pursues the case, then Arsenault could face a $100,000 fine or a year in prison.

The government is in an odd position. There’s no law that prohibits a man from impregnating 14 women — as long as he has sex with them. There’s no law that requires men to be tested before intercourse.

Federal test requirements for fluid exchanges apply to sperm banks, but Arsenault doesn’t charge for his seed. He offers a low-tech, no-middleman, turkey-baster alternative that allows women to inseminate themselves.

Arsenault calls himself a “donor-sexual” — “what it means is that 100 percent of my sexual energy is devoted to being a sperm donor.” For Arsenault, donating sperm is his way of exercising a “fundamental right” to reproduce “out of love to have a child.”

Arsenault leaves the door open to having a relationship with his offspring. But first, Arsenault asks women to sign a contract in which they relinquish the rights to hold him “legally, financially or emotionally responsible for any child(ren) or medical expense that results from the artificial insemination procedure.”

“This is ethically despicable,” said Art Caplan, director of the Center for Bioethics at the University of Pennsylvania. “First of all, getting sperm from someone who intends to maintain a relationship with the children is playing with fire.”

Women should beware the risks in having a child with a man they don’t really know. What if Arsenault, contrary to his contract, wants custody? There’s the possibility of a genetic disease, even inadvertent incest, among the children of a big donor. In September, The New York Times reported on a sperm-bank donor who sired 150 children.

Caplan noted American politicians “have just not been willing to set any kind of reasonable restrictions on anything having to do with reproductive technology.”

Other countries limit the number of children a sperm donor may father — in the United Kingdom, the limit is 10 — but not in the United States, where fertility is big business.

“It seems to me the FDA may well be overreaching,” said Caplan, “but it doesn’t bother me in the least, because no one else is paying attention.”

At least the FDA is alerting women to the risks in using a freelance sperm donor. To wit: Someday these children will grow up to learn about their “donor-sexual” dad.

It’s a free country. It’s a brave new world. Caplan worries, “Who’s looking out for the kids who result from this?”

Debra J. Saunders is a San Francisco Chronicle columnist. Her email address is dsaunders@sfchronicle.com.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Opinion

toon
Editorial cartoons for Sunday, Aug. 31

A sketchy look at the news of the day.… Continue reading

Gov. Bob Ferguson and Rep. Rick Larsen talk during a listening session with with community leaders and families addressing the recent spending bill U.S. Congress enacted that cut Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program funding by 20% on Thursday, Aug. 21, 2025 in Lynnwood, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Editorial: Work to replace what was taken from those in need

The state and local communities will have to ensure food security after federal SNAP and other cuts.

FILE — Destroyed homes and cars in the Lower Ninth Ward after Hurricane Katrina, in New Orleans, Nov. 7, 2005. In New Orleans, low-income homeowners are at risk of losing houses built by Habitat for Humanity as more storms hit the city and property insurance prices soar. (Robert Caplin/The New York Times)
Comment: Remembering lessons from failures of Katrina

Twenty years on, as changes to disaster response are considered, here’s what must be considered.

Don’t let closed stores in South Everett sit vacant

Gentrification is not only caused by making community investments that displace people… Continue reading

Perspective, humor of Herald opinions appreciated

I especially appreciated three particular columns from the last two issues of… Continue reading

Adopt bill in Congress for Medicare’s early cancer detection

This July, I met with U.S. Rep Rick Larsen to discuss the… Continue reading

Why encourage graffiti with a ‘free wall’

Several questions arose about the subject of a Herald article (“Everett coucil… Continue reading

Comment: Reform of FEMA will help keep lights on after disaster

The Snohomish PUD backs legislation sought by Rep. Rick Larsen to strengthen FEMA’s response and aid.

Comment: Cuts by ‘Big Ugly Bill’ still loom for our communities

County officials warn that deep losses to medical care, food assistance and more will be devastating.

Robotic hand playing hopscotch on a keyboard. Artifical intelligence, text generators, ai and job issues concept. Vector illustration.
Editorial: Keep a mindful eye on government use of AI chatbots

A public media report on government use of chatbots, including by Everett, calls for sound guidelines.

Gov. Bob Ferguson responds to U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi's demands that the state end so-called sanctuary policies. (Office of Governor of Washington)
Editorial: Governor’s reasoned defiance to Bondi’s ICE demands

In the face of threats, the 10th Amendment protects a state law on law enforcement cooperation.

Russian President Vladimir Putin and President Donald Trump shake hands after a joint news conference following their meeting in Anchorage, Alaska, Aug. 15, 2025. Amid the setbacks for Ukraine from the meeting in Alaska, officials in Kyiv seized on one glimmer of hope — a U.S. proposal to include security guarantees for Ukraine in any potential peace deal with Russia. (Doug Mills/The New York Times)
Editorial: We’ll keep our mail-in ballots; thank you, Mr. Putin

Trump, at the suggestion of Russia’s president, is again going after states that use mail-in ballots.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.