Outcome won’t be good

Initiative 745 advocates predict that dedicating 90 percent of Washington transportation funding to roads would relieve traffic congestion – regardless of what fraction of present public transportation survived on the remaining 10 percent.

When transit routes are pruned back, to live within public transportation’s means, who in your household could take time off from work to drive Grandma to her appointment at the vision clinic? Would you drive a neighbor whose car broke down to his part-time job downtown? To the library? To the senior center? Who volunteers to transport community college students home to their outlying households after afternoon classes – including the students taking job training with children to pick up from day care?

Whose front yards and small business parking strips would the proposed additional lanes and connector roads be built through? And at the far end of each added trip, how much will you pay for the additional parking space needed – assuming you find any?

Building more roads hasn’t shown itself effective in decongesting traffic; just like additional airport runways have not been successful in relieving air traffic. An increase in capacity can instead expand traffic congestion. Why expect a different outcome under I-745?

Everett

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Opinion

toons
Editorial cartoons for Thursday, June 13

A sketchy look at the news of the day.… Continue reading

The City of Everett is set to purchase two single sidewalk restrooms from Romtec, a company based in Roseburg, Ore., for $315,000. (Romtec)
Editorial: Utilitarian but sturdy restrooms should be a relief

Everett is placing four stalls downtown that should be accessible but less prone to problems.

Stephens: Only way that Biden can win is not to run

The president can only commit to managing threats; his best chance for victory is to leave the ticket.

Krugman: The wealthy’s support of Trump isn’t just about money

They’re also not crazy about those who — like Biden — don’t pay sufficient deference to them.

Bouie: Should wealthy and powerful again put trust in Trump

They stepped away after Jan. 6, but — ignoring their own need for democratic norms — are drawn to autocracy.

Everett principal Betty Cobbs served kids, community for 51 years

Education and community. Those words are the best America has to offer;… Continue reading

Artist Natalie Niblack works amongst her project entitled “33 Birds / Three Degrees” during the setup for Exploring The Edge at Schack Art Center on Sunday, March 19, 2023, in Everett, Washington. The paintings feature motion-activated speakers that play each bird’s unique call. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Editorial: For 50 years Schack Art Center there for creation

The art center is more art studio than museum, supporting artists and fostering creativity in kids.

Snohomish School District’s Clayton Lovell plugs in the district’s electric bus after morning routes on Thursday, March 6, 2024, at the district bus depot in Snohomish, Washington. (Ryan Berry / The Herald)
Editorial: Money well spent on switch to electric school buses

With grants awarded to local school districts, a study puts a dollar figure on health, climate savings.

Mangrove trees roots, Rhizophora mangle, above and below the water in the Caribbean sea, Panama, Central America
Editorial: Support local newspapers work to hometowns’ benefit

A writer compares them to mangrove trees, filtering toxins and providing support to their neighbors.

Tufekci: Covid a lesson for officials on fragility of trust

In seeking to manage the message, scientists and officials took risks that have cost the public’s trust.

Collins: Republicans’ zeal against Biden’s son a double-standard

While they’re attacking Hunter Biden’s gun possession, they’re working to relax similar gun measures.

toon
Editorial cartoons for Wednesday, June 12

A sketchy look at the news of the day.… Continue reading

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.