Broncos ready to move on after Cutler divorce

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — His divorce with Jay Cutler finalized, Josh McDaniels set out Friday to start making sure his legacy isn’t ultimately one of chasing off a young, franchise quarterback before watching him throw a single pass in practice.

How does he plan to do that?

“Win, that’s it,” the Denver Broncos’ 32-year-old rookie coach said, updating Al Davis’ famous line “Just win, Baby!”

“I mean, I may not know much, but I know that. We win, I don’t think they’re going to be talking about that,” McDaniels told The Associated Press on Friday, one day after sending his Pro Bowl passer to the Chicago Bears for quarterback Kyle Orton and three draft picks, including two first-rounders.

McDaniels said Orton will compete with Chris Simms for the starting job in Denver. He also didn’t rule out taking a quarterback in the draft.

Did winning become harder, however, with Cutler taking his rocket arm and pouty personality to Chicago?

“He’s a very talented player, but I would say this, you’re distinguished by getting to the playoffs and winning a lot of games. That’s how you set yourself apart from other players in this league at any position,” McDaniels said. “Is it a step down athletically? I don’t know. You can say what you want to say about that. Is his arm stronger than Kyle or Chris’? Yeah, it is.

“But can you win with someone else? Yeah, sure you can.”

Cutler is 17-20 as a starter and has yet to reach the playoffs, although he did earn a trip to the Pro Bowl in his second full season as a starter last year.

Orton is 21-12 in his career and owns the best home mark (15-2) of any quarterback in the league since joining the NFL in 2005 as a fourth-round pick out of Purdue.

The Broncos owned the league’s No. 2 offense last season and Cutler seemed like the least of his worries when McDaniels replaced Mike Shanahan in mid-January and set out to repair a dismal defense.

“This wasn’t the end result we were looking for from the outset,” McDaniels said at a news conference. “But it is where we’re at now. We’re moving forward …”

So, who’s to blame for this divorce? Cutler? His agent? McDaniels?

“I don’t know where the blame lies, or if there is blame,” McDaniels said. “Obviously, it was a situation where communication became an issue. At that point, it started to get progressively worse. But, I understand the player’s mind-set. I understand that he wasn’t happy with what had happened or transpired.”

Cutler decided he didn’t want to play for McDaniels after the new coach entertained discussions to trade him to Tampa Bay six weeks ago in a three-way deal that would have reunited McDaniels with his protege, Matt Cassel, who was instead traded to Kansas City.

McDaniels disputed the notion that Cutler just wasn’t his kind of quarterback: “No, he could have played in this offense and done very well.”

For weeks, McDaniels held out hope that they’d work things out but Cutler didn’t return his calls.

“It was going to require a two-way commitment,” McDaniels said.

McDaniels also said it wasn’t true he didn’t clue in Cutler to the trade talks that sparked this firestorm. He said he informed Cutler and his agent, Bus Cook, on Feb. 28 that he had received a phone call that morning asking if he’d be willing to part with Cutler in a three-way deal.

“That morning, we told them that there were some people that had called about an issue with Cassel, that we had talked to them, that we did not initiate the contact, that that’s where it stood,” McDaniels told the AP.

Last month, Cook told The AP he hadn’t been informed of the trade talks right away. He didn’t return a phone message Friday.

At his introductory news conference in Chicago, Cutler declined to look back at the rift and its timeline, declaring: “I’m just not going to go down that road. This is kind of a new chapter for me.”

At his news conference, McDaniels called Cutler a terrific talent and said Cutler could have thrived in the intricate offense he’s installing in Denver. Curiously, though, he referred to Cutler simply as “the player” five times in his 22-minute Q-and-A.

Although McDaniels maintains he could have worked things out had he been able to meet one-on-one with Cutler, he never contemplated flying to Cutler’s home in Nashville to try to smooth things over.

“Like I said, it’s a two-way commitment. If you’re going to do something, then it’s got to be done where both people are trying to get to the same resolution, and for the majority of this process, that was not the way it was,” McDaniels said.

The last time he spoke with Cutler was at a face-to-face meeting last month at team headquarters in which Cutler insisted on having his agent present. A day later, Cutler asked to be traded.

Why didn’t McDaniels just clear the room that day — general manager Brian Xanders also was in attendance — and sit down with his quarterback one-on-one?

“Impossible,” McDaniels said.

Why?

“Because Bus Cook was going to be there,” McDaniels said. “I’d love to do that.”

So, was Cook the problem?

“No idea. No idea. This wasn’t about a contract, so I have no idea if Bus Cook was the problem or not,” McDaniels said.

What seemed like a magnificent match — gifted passer entering his prime meets up-and-coming offensive guru — never materialized. Whatever the problem was, wherever the blame lay, McDaniels and Cutler have gone their separate ways.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Sports

Everett AquaSox outfielder Jonny Farmelo runs in from the outfield during the game against the Spokane Indians on Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2025 in Everett, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Now ‘fixed,’ Jonny Farmelo hopes for healthy future

The AquaSox outfielder reflects on time lost, insights gained in two injury-riddled seasons.

Dallas Cowboys defensive end Micah Parsons reacts during the final seconds of the fourth quarter against the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday, Dec. 9, 2024, at AT&T Stadium. (Amanda McCoy, Tribune News Services)
Source: Seahawks pondered a Micah Parsons trade

It would be inaccurate to say the Seahawks were not intrigued with… Continue reading

Everett AquaSox right fielder Carson Jones registered a hit and a walk against the Eugene Emeralds at Funko Field in Everett, Washington on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2025. (Photo courtesy of Evan Morud / Everett AquaSox)
AquaSox offense falls flat against Eugene

The Everett AquaSox fell 4-0 on Thursday, as Eugene Emeralds… Continue reading

Seattle Storm guard Skylar Diggins holds the basketball during a game against the Indiana Fever on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025 at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Ind. (Photo courtesy of Seattle Storm)
Storm claw back from down 21 to top league-best Lynx

Skylar Diggins sparked a 25-6 run to end the third quarter and led the comeback.

Seahawks OL Jalen Sundell (61) and Grey Zabel (76) line up before a snap against the Las Vegas Raiders in a preseason game on Thursday, Aug. 7, 2025 at Lumen Field in Seattle, Wash. (Steph Chambers / The Seattle Times / Getty Images)
Seahawks GM Schneider confident in reconfigured O-line

Plus practice squad updates and surprise waiver moves

Everett AquaSox pitcher Christian Little pitches in his High-A debut against the Eugene Emeralds on Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2025 at Funko Field in Everett, Wash. (Photo courtesy of Shari Sommerfeld / Everett AquaSox)
Little shines, AquaSox stumble late against Emeralds

AquaSox pitcher Christian Little allowed one run in five innings in his High-A debut.

Seattle Mariners center fielder Julio Rodriguez (44) hits a home run during a game between the Detroit Tigers and Seattle Mariners at Comerica Park in Detroit, Michigan, on Saturday, July 12, 2025. (Devin Anderson-Torrez / mlive.com / Tribune News Services)
Four-run fourth proves to be enough as M’s beat Padres

Bryan Woo was pulled before the sixth for the first time this season, but the Mariners made do.

Charlie Pagliarini of the Everett AquaSox bats against Eugene on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025 at Funko Field in Everett, Washington. (Photo courtesy of Evan Morud / Everett AquaSox)
Emeralds blast two home runs in ninth to beat AquaSox

Two ninth-inning home runs powered Eugene to a 5-4 comeback… Continue reading

Seattle Storm forward Nneka Ogwumike probes with the ball during a game against the Indiana Fever on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025 at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. (Photo courtesy of Seattle Storm)
Short-handed Fever blow out Storm, snap winning streak

Seattle lost the turnover and rebounding margins in a 20-point loss.

Seahawks receiver Cody White, who made Seattle's initial 53-man roster on Tuesday, runs with the ball during the 2024 season. (Photo courtesy Edwin Hooper / Seattle Seahawks)
Seahawks choose youth at receiver for initial 53-man roster

The Seahawks sent away two veteran wide receivers with a combined 15… Continue reading

Eugenio Suárez of the Seattle Mariners celebrates his three-run home run against San Diego Padres pitcher Jason Adam (40) during the fifth inning at T-Mobile Park on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025, in Seattle. (Steph Chambers / Getty Images / Tribune News Services)
Padres hold off Mariners to even series

The Padres scored a first-round knockdown. Then the Mariners had… Continue reading

Emerson Hancock of the Seattle Mariners pitches in the first inning against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park on Wednesday, April 23, 2025, in Boston. (Jaiden Tripi / Getty Images / Tribune News Services)
Now a reliever, former starter Emerson Hancock returns to M’s

Emerson Hancock, a starter earlier in the season for the… Continue reading

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.