Davis joins Clippers

LOS ANGELES — Baron Davis flashed his sparkling sense of humor often on his return to Los Angeles. He’ll probably need it since he’s going to be playing for the Clippers.

Arriving on the heels of the departure of Elton Brand and Corey Maggette, Davis will be involved in a rebuilding period for the perennially woeful Clippers.

General manager Elgin Baylor introduced Davis at news conference on Thursday by saying he would make his remarks brief so Davis could say hello.

Davis stepped to the podium and said, “Hello.” Then he paused for a few moments, as if that was all he was going to say, before chuckling and breaking into a broad grin.

Later, he talked about his friend Brand and their phone conversations after Davis decided to leave the Golden State Warriors to play for his hometown team. Brand finally bolted to Philadelphia, signing with the 76ers on Wednesday.

Asked when he last spoke to Brand, Davis said it was yesterday, laughing and adding, “I can’t tell you what I said to him.”

Brand, who has averaged around 20 points and 10 rebounds a game, was expected to remain with Los Angeles, but he took a five-year deal for a reported $82 million in Philadelphia. Corey Maggette, Los Angeles’ leading scorer last season, essentially swapped places with Davis, signing a 5-year deal with the Warriors for approximately $50 million.

When Davis decided last week that he was going to join the Clippers, he believed Brand was going to be his teammate, but Davis insists he’s gotten over any disappointment that they won’t be playing together.

“I’m signed, sealed and delivered, so I’m not disappointed at all,” he said. “And he’s signed and he’s committed.”

Davis had tried to sway Brand’s decision.

“I talked to him, would tell him, ‘Hey, this is the best place for you, we can do great things.’ But obviously he chose otherwise,” Davis said. “I can’t be mad at him for that. I wish Elton brand the best. He’s a great guy, always going to a great player and a friend of mine. He made a decision for the future of his family.

“There’s no more Elton Brand in L.A. It’s my turn and a chance for the young guys to step up. Get a couple more free agents and we’ll be ready to go.”

Davis said he didn’t consider backing out of his deal (five years, $65 million) with the Clippers because Brand wasn’t going to be around.

“It didn’t really matter, once I made my mind up. I’m a man of my word,” Davis said. “I committed to the Clippers and they committed to me.”

Team president Andy Roeser said the past few days have been tumultuous for the Clippers, but “the silver lining is that we now have one of the best point guards in the NBA.”

Coach Mike Dunleavy believes the Clippers have the two key players necessary for a contending team in Davis and center Chris Kaman.

“The toughest two pieces to find are a point guard and a center,” Dunleavy said. “You look around, and the teams that win are teams with good point guards.”

The 29-year-old Davis, a former UCLA star who grew up in Los Angeles, averaged 21.8 points, 7.6 assists, 4.7 rebounds and 2.33 steals while playing all 82 games last season for the Warriors.

A two-time All-Star, the 6-foot-3, 215-pound point guard has averaged 17.1 points, 7.2 assists, 4.1 rebounds and 1.95 steals during nine years in the league.

Since they are $12 million under the salary cap, the Clippers are courting other free agents, including guard-forward Josh Smith and frontcourt player Emeka Okafor, both restricted free agents.

Talk to us

> Give us your news tips.

> Send us a letter to the editor.

> More Herald contact information.

More in Sports

Lake Stevens girls basketball's Noelani Tupua shoots over Glacier Peak's Layla King during a district playoff game on Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026 at Woodinville H.S. in Woodinville. (Qasim Ali / The Herald)
Lake Stevens girls basketball overcomes GP to stay alive

The Grizzlies forced nearly 30 turnovers, but Lake Stevens clamped down in a Thursday loser-out win.

Snohomish senior Siena Capelli charges up the court during the Panthers' 47-36 win against Meadowdale in the District 1 3A semifinals at Snohomish High School on Feb. 18, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Snohomish girls get redemption in district semis

The Panthers defeat Meadowdale 47-36 on Wednesday after missing state last season.

Edmonds-Woodway senior Janie Hanson (1 in white) tries to position herself in front of Stanwood sophomore Addy Schuh in the Warriors' 55-47 win against the Spartans in the District 1 3A semifinals at Snohomish High School on Feb. 18, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Edmonds-Woodway girls mount comeback vs. Stanwood in district semis

The Warriors clinch first state berth since 2019 in 55-47 win against defending champs on Wednesday.

Seattle Seahawks players celebrate following their Super Bowl LX victory over the New England Patriots at Levi Stadium. (Kindell Buchanan/PA Wire/dpa/TNS)
New era incoming: Super Bowl-champion Seahawks officially for sale

Once finalized, the new ownership will impact both the business and football operations.

Vote for The Herald’s Prep Athlete of the Week for Feb. 8-14

The Athlete of the Week nominees for Feb. 8-14. Voting closes at… Continue reading

Anna Usitalo’s 37 leads Shorecrest girls past Ferndale

Lakewood boys move one step closer to state Wednesday with win over Burlington-Edison.

Shorewood senior Nathan Abraha blocks Edmonds-Woodway senior Dre Simonsen's attempt under the rim during the Stormrays' 42-40 win against the Warriors in the District 1 3A semifinals at Edmonds-Woodway High School on Feb. 17, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Shorewood boys upset top-seeded Edmonds-Woodway in district semis

The Stormrays earn second straight state berth with 42-40 win on Tuesday.

Snohomish junior Grady Rohrich lunges towards the rim to put up a layup during the Panthers' 57-54 win against Monroe in the District 1 3A semifinals at Edmonds-Woodway High School on Feb. 17, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Snohomish boys squeak past Monroe in district semis

The Panthers punch first ticket to state tournament since 2012 with 57-54 win on Tuesday.

Everett boys stay alive in districts

Tulalip Heritage boys book another trip to state on Tuesday.

Seahawks begin sale process

Less than two weeks after winning the Super Bowl, Seattle’s NFL franchise is for sale.

Seattle Seahawks’ Kenneth Walker III and Super Bowl MVP high fives fans lined up along 4th Avenue during the Seahawks World Champions Parade on Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2026 in Seattle, Washington. (Olivia Vanni / The Herald)
Ranking the Seahawks’ unrestricted free agents

Riq Woolen and Ken Walker highlight a loaded class of extension candidates.

Archbishop Murphy senior Brooke Blachly utilizes a screen from junior Ashley Fletcher (10) to drive into the lane during the Wildcats' 76-18 win against the Seahawks in the District 1 2A quarterfinals at Archbishop Murphy High School on Feb. 12, 2026. (Joe Pohoryles/The Herald)
Archbishop Murphy’s Brooke Blachly reaches 2,000 points

The Wildcats senior eclipses mark in district girls basketball semifinal win Saturday.

Support local journalism

If you value local news, make a gift now to support the trusted journalism you get in The Daily Herald. Donations processed in this system are not tax deductible.